JAPANESE JAZZ recommendations (late 60's thru 70's) Three Blind Mice label, etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rcdupre, Mar 29, 2009.

1. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying Thread Starter

yeah this is the one! Thanks for the heads up, I need to get a jewel case to replace my mini-LP as I'm no longer into those...there a Jazz LP wanted list at Disk Union for the original LP, I think they'll pay like Y200...I've seen one of these LPs, it was WAY expensive!

2. mono.edition

mono.edition Forum Resident

Many thanks for mentioning this CD, otherwise I would miss it! Another one I received this morning is Gary Peacock - Voices, for some reasons I never bought it before.

3. mono.edition

Another one I will get is Kiyoshi Sugimoto's Country Dream, which is out of print for a while.

I just noticed that there is a new series called Dig Deep Columbia / TAKT PIANO TRIO. It includes 7 CDs which were out in April 2014. George Otsuka - Page 2 is the only one I listened to before so I can't comment on others. Page 2 is straight ahead piano trio jazz so I think the style of other discs are not too far from it.

[​IMG]

4. rcdupre

what does Voices sound like? Is it mellow of more adventurous? I've seen it before....Yeah the TAKT series is cool, although I'm not into piano trio stuff, very popular in Japan !!!
    There's a Terumasa Hino LP from '69 on TAKIT and I think I have a few others...

5. mono.edition

This is more adventurous, a bit "out". This is just my experience after I listened to my mp3 files long time ago, I will let you know if I find out something different after I listen to it completely.

I've found that there is quite a lot of good stuff on TAKT Jazz Series. I have a Terumasa Hino's 69 album called Hi-Nology, which is my favourite.

6. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

I have Voices on SACD ,can't say it's one of my favorites but I would say it's sort of like Masahiko Sato from this era,maybe Deformation- Ish?Starts quite and meandering then works it's way into a sort of jam.Hino's Hi-Nology is awesome,last year it was one of my most spun cds.

7. mono.edition

Your Hi-Nology CD, is that the one with two bonus tracks? Those are really awesome!

8. rcdupre

yeah Hi-Nology rocks! My mini LP has bonus tracks...

9. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Most of the Takt CDs were recorded by Okihiko Sugano who is also the mixer for Sun Bear Concerts.
    The vinyl are real sonic gems. (Never listened to the CDs, though.)

10. amonjamesduul

Yeah thats the one.

11. mono.edition

This morning I received a self-titled CD by Sadao Watanabe, recorded in 1972. I bought this album because it features Masayuki Takayanagi (a surprise to me)! Previously I only knew him as a free jazz musician but his TBM's albums changed my thought. He and Kaoru Abe released three landmark albums in 1970 (Kaitai Teki Kohkan, Mass Projection & Gradually Projection) and it's interesting to find out what he sounds like in an album with Sadao Watanabe as a side man.
    [​IMG] .

12. rcdupre

I dig Masayuki Takayanagi, so what does this Watanabe album sound like, I guess since it's from '72 it can't be all that soft...

13. mono.edition

Haha! it's not soft at all. This album actually doesn't sound that mainstream to me. I am glad I bought it.

14. amonjamesduul

So I just ordered these from a seller on Ebay,thought they didn't come out til later in aug,been waiting awhile on most of these.
    Jiro Inagaki-head rock
    Sato/Inagaki-Bridge over troubled water
    Hino Motohiko-first album
    Kiyoshi Sugimoto-Country dream
    Sound limited-drum method
    Hiroshi Suzuki-cat

15. mono.edition

These CDs will be released on 20 August. Just wondering how much your seller charges for the CDs? I pre-ordered 4 of the above titles from Amazon.jp, as I live in Hong Kong, I don't need to pay tax for these CDs, so the price is 2000 yen each, plus the shipping & handling charge 1,800 yen (600 yen per shipment/300 yen per item), I will pay 9,800 for them. The CDs will be sent by DHL, so if there is no delay, I will receive the CDs no later than 22 Aug. Shipping charge to US costs 200 yen more (800 yen per shipment/300 yen per item) only, but I am not sure if the shipment is handled by DHL or not. I used to order a lot of CDs from HMV.jp, but sometimes it takes a bit longer to ship sth out, so I would order from HMV.jp if I find some good deals in there.

16. amonjamesduul

They were 23,99 us dollars each I paid about 7 dollars for shipping.I got them from Maximum rare records store on Ebay,they sell mostly stuff from Japan.I guess these were pre orders if they don't come out til the 20th.Im sort of at a disdvantage with some of these Japanese stores as I can't be sure I am ordering correctly as my translator never seems to work fully,so I usually stick to CD japan or Ebay.

17. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Great choices! :shtiphat:

18. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Incidentally four of the Takt and the Nabe-Sada disc were recorded by one person - Okihiko Sugano.

19. rcdupre

i have all of these except CAT, are these mini-lps or jewel cases?

20. amonjamesduul

They are listed as new 2014 remasters in jewel cases.Heh, funny enough Cat is the only one I have ,MP3 only tho.

21. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

MS and GP weren't released at the time. The first release was the DIW CDs in 2001.

22. headman

headman Active Member

What a great thread... thanks to all the contibutors! I've come fairly late to Japanese Jazz recordings and have found all this fascinating.

Just ordered the "Japanese Jazz 1950s-80s" book via Amazon so hopefully I can read about many of the albums mentioned here. In the meantime I have ordered a small batch of CDs from CDJapan to test the water.

23. ozric75

ozric75 Forum Resident

Hi!
    The sound of the cd doesn't have a relation with the format (jewel case, digipack or minilp).
    For sure, there are a lot of new cd editions (both jewel cases and mini lp) that sounds terrible (compressed to death).
    As a general rule, the mastering done in old cd editions (jewel cases) is not compressed, but as for new editions...who knows...
    My recommendation is not to sell your mini lp cds collection thinking that the jewel case edition will sound better.
    All the best,
    Alex

24. Homefromtheforest

Homefromtheforest Well-Known Member

New member here..been lurking for a few months and just joined. I like this thread...I have been collecting Japanese jazz for about 15 years or more now and am particularly fond of Masahiko Togashi and Masahiko Sato. I also enjoy Terumasa Hino, Kosuke Mine, Masabumi Kikuchi, Masayuki Takayanagi, and many more. My most recent Japanese jazz purchase is "Duo live 1984" by Masahiko Togashi and Masayuki Takanayagi. I love their "pulsation" LP so I bought this CD which is from the same era but a different performance. It's really good!

This seems to be a Togashi archive reissue campaign led by his widow? I know there is another 2CD release of a duo performance with Yuji Takahashi. Can any Japanese members shed more light on this series? I wish I could read the Japanese liner notes in this Togashi/Takayanagi CD :(

25. mono.edition

As Japanese names are written in Chinese characters, I can look up the future releases based on their names. EAST WIND MASTERS COLLECTION 1000, which will be on sales on 5 Feb 2015, includes albums by Masahiko Togashi and my favourite Terumasa Hino. Unfortunately no pics is available at this point.
    http://store.universal-music.co.jp/fs/artist/c/east_wind/1/3

Masahiko Togashi-Yuji Takahashi duo performance, I believe this is the one:
    http://blog-jazztokyo.diskunion.net/Entry/17781/