Japanese SHM-CD same as Taiyo Yuden sound quality?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bathory, Sep 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore Thread Starter

I like to make copies of my mini LP Japanese CD's, as to preserve their shape, and condition.

I also make copies of my LP's through audio lab 3.0 and burn to Taiyo Yuden CD-R's.

at the highest possible rate for burning, studio quality 192, or 196K. or the 96K once in a while when I make the burn to the CD-R's.

Am I losing any audio, in high's, mids or lows by making copies to these CD's, as compared to playing the actual SHM CD? Or would if any difference be not audible at all to human ears? I can not really tell a difference (i don't think???).

I would like to know if anyone else does this, or if the pro's out there can answer this od question.

Thanks in advance !!

2. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

I haven't researched CD-Rs in a while, but Taiyo Yuden used to be the best CD-Rs you could easily buy. There were a couple of companies that made gold colored CD-Rs that were supposedly better, but they were almost impossible to find, or prohibitively expensive.

By best I mean - lowest average count of bad burns, lowest BER (bit error rate) when analyzed post-burn, lowest increase of BER over time (meaning the dye is stable and isn't degrading rapidly.) and best compatibility amongst CD players. Strangely enough, the cheapest CD players, and most expensive CD players, seemed to have the most problems reading even the best CD-R media.

This was all group-tested over at the CDR-Info forums, usually by people (including me) using the Plextor Premium CD-R drives that had a disc analysis tool.

3. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore Thread Starter

.....what..?

4. Theoretically, the original SHM-CD should sound better than the identical CD-R version. The key word being theoretical, as many systems barely have the noise floor necessary to realize even the benefits from SHM-CD.

5. Daily Nightly

Daily Nightly Well-Known Member

FWIW: dubbing a cd onto, say, a reel to reel tape at -interestingly, the SLOW SPEED of 3 3/4ips- is one, retro experiment for consumer use which makes it sound the LEAST "DIGITAL" (since tape "smooths" the harsh transients of it and the 3 3/4 equalization tweaks the midrange boost digital often lacks...but it's not something the results of a CASSETTE, for example, would deliver in a same way). Besides, three cds can fit on one reel(!).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.