Jasmine Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by svgtom, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. svgtom

svgtom Member Thread Starter

Is anyone familiar with Jasmine Records based in the U.K.? I'm interested in some of their compilations so I'm wondering what the overall sound quality of their CDs are. Are they remastered, do they just slap together any old source they find, etc.? Thanks.

http://www.jasmine-records.co.uk/index.html

2. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Public domain

3. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

They may have some decent releases, but every one I can remember hearing from them were terrible needledrops. They seem to have devolved to a "PD label" which doesn't license to get access to masters and doesn't care about quality.

4. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

weren´t they linked to Charly records in the eighties? They made some not bad-sounding jazz reissues on vinyl back then. Please note that I am strictly talking about their vinyl days.

5. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

They are certainly producing a large number of titles, I come across dozens browsing on Amazon.

I have several. One I'm looking at says "Copyright exists in all Jasmine Records recordings". "Transfers and Digital processing by Tall Order Mastering". They do have liner notes, but sound is occasionally low quality. But I don't have any better versions of the originals to compare them with.

Another label that has produced titles I've wanted is Sepia.

6. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

They did do lots of Jazz albums in the late 80's/early 90's - I have a load of John Coltrane Impulse albums on Jasmine (all I could get at the time). I guess they were licensed then, as they would not be in the Public Domain at that time (unless they were exploiting some loophole).
    Now they seem to have become, looking at what they are releasing, just another PD label.

7. The audio engineer behind Tall Order Mastering is Peter Rynston, and he does excellent work.

goodiesguy and Hotdog like this.
  8. svgtom

svgtom Member Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's input. It's funny that you should mention Sepia. One of the Jasmine compilations I'm looking at is a double CD, and a good number of the tracks on it I already own on a Sepia CD. The Sepia CD actually sounds pretty decent even though they used CEDAR on it. I'm just debating if it's worth it to get the Jasmine for the 14 or so tracks I don't have, especially since I'm hesitant about the sound quality.

9. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

I just picked up a Jasmine Ames Brothers CD for a rare song and my AudioChecker software confirmed it was sourced from MP3! Proceed with caution.

Eli likes this.
  10. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

I only have the Gene Vincent
    2cd set

11. Eli

Eli Party Coordinator

Jasmine is a PD label and sources its releases from existing CDs or vinyl. Some of the early ones were pretty dismal, but I've heard that their more recent releases are somewhat improved. I stopped buying Jasmine titles years ago because none of the ones I got were better than okay.

12. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Have a couple of Artie Shaw Helen Forest etc.....fine for the fact that many of these labels are similar, Proper,LivingEra,Hindsight etc.
    I find some JSP stuff more to my liking considering that John Davies was doing some great stuff at time with them,Armstrong etc....The Charlie Parker JSP set comes to mind, Django set, have quite a few of them...all quite good.

13. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

I received their Frank Ifield The Yodelling Cowboy Years CD today.

I got it specifically for one track. It's from all manner of early sources, but it sounds pretty good for the most part. And Frank's version of Blue Suede Shoes turns out to be excellent.

melstapler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.