Jason Molina, Songs: Ohia, Pyramid Electric Co. & Magnolia Electric Co.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mds, Aug 5, 2014.

1. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

Now if they could just get ‘The Lioness’ back in print!

2. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I had no idea it was OOP. That seems odd, since SC seems to be pretty good about keeping the core catalogue in print - unless they are planning an expanded reissue! In which case, all is forgiven.

Ernest T and hamicle like this.
  3. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I would kill for the Lioness and Sojourner in vinyl. The new Ep thing is fine but I can’t say I get into either long track. Nashville Moon as an LP would be the dream right there

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Ernest T and hamicle like this.
  4. Davey

Davey NP: Bruce Brubaker ~ Eno Piano (2023)

Upcoming new Songs: Ohia vinyl from Temporary Residence label, Travels In Constants is a couple tunes released in limited quantities on cassette and CD during 2001, now on vinyl for the first time. Recorded by Jason Molina directly to 4-track in his Chicago living room, the 18-minute title track is one of those long melancholy meditations we love, while "Howler" brings on some more upbeat jangle... Travels In Constants ... Ghost Tropic spinning right now, what an amazing record, RIP Jason and long live Songs: Ohia ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    mds, Ernest T, hamicle and 1 other person like this.
  5. Davey

Hard to believe, but this is the fifteen year anniversary of one of the best albums of modern times, Magnolia Electric Co. Nice reminder today at Songs: Ohia - The Magnolia Electric Co., 15 years on: The Skinny

[​IMG]

BTW, off topic but don't believe the review at The Skinny link above for the new Anna Von Hausswolff Dead Magic album, she's incredible, and all the other reviews I've seen so far are stellar, and I think all of us that have heard the songs love her ( Anna von Hausswolff "Dead Magic" (March 2, 2018) ). It's a different writer from the above article, and doesn't really make sense to me.

Ernest T likes this.
  6. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

7. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

5 years since Jason passed away.

8. Davey

I play his music so often that it just doesn't seem like it could be that long. Gone but not forgotten...

I will try and know whatever I try,
    I will be gone but not forever

9. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

Hopefully never forgotten. I guess that's going to be up to us to let people know what they're missing!

lemonade kid and Davey like this.
  10. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Yes..keep the flame burning!

Ernest T likes this.
  11. TeleKing

TeleKing Forum Resident

Not sure if people read this when it was published, but it's a great piece on his life and final months. Really, really sad. What a truly amazing talent. What is really sad is the vast majority of people won't dive in and really listen. They're missing out on so much, as we all know. I'm just thankful for what he left us. Here's the article. Definitely worth reading.

Jason Molina's long dark blues

12. Davey

Yea, I remember posting that once before, love him and all the great music he made, but pretty sad how he left this world ... Musicians who disappeared / left the 'industry'

lemonade kid likes this.
  13. Summer of Malcontent

Oh boy: THIS is now my most highly anticipated box set of 2018:
    Love & Work: The Lioness Sessions - Songs: Ohia | Secretly Store

[​IMG]
    LOVE & WORK: THE LIONESS SESSIONS
    SONGS: OHIA
    RELEASE DATE: 2018-11-23
    CATALOG NO: SC298
    LABEL: SECRETLY CANADIAN

The first — and likely the best — love songs album of the new millennium now expanded into a 2xLP compendium. Featuring:
    • An entire album of never-before-heard recordings from The Lioness sessions
    • 16-page booklet with photos and meditations by Jason’s family, collaborators
    • Packaged in deluxe tip-on gatefold jackets
    • Replications of ephemera from Jason’s life from the time of recording, including: a two-sided postcard, a check for “one million kisses,” a two of hearts playing card, a handwritten letter in an envelope, a guitar pick, and a photograph of Jason and his wife-to-be.

14. mds

mds Forum Resident Thread Starter

I believe the only format is Vinyl, which is useless to me. I noticed a trend with the small labels which is to omit CDs. You either choose vinyl or download a FLAC/MP3. I am not paying full CD price for a download of the album. This has me very frustrated. Is this the beginning of the death of CD?

15. irong

irong Forum Resident

No CD release? This is torture (and I actually own the original CD release)

16. mds

As far as I understand no CD and I also own the CD of the original album. I would gladly purchase this set in CD format the way I did with the other two expanded reissues that are out; The Magnolia Electric Co., S/T and Songs:Ohia, Didn't It Rain.

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  17. Bjorn Kjetil Johansen

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen Vortex Surfer

Automatic buy for me, even though I own the original vinyl. Can't wait to hear the bonus material.

18. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

I have a cdr of that album that someone sent me a long time ago. I also have Didn't It Rain. I think that is the only two I have. I bet I have not heard those albums in a long time. I don't know a lot about it - but apparently he spent some time in my home state (WV).

19. mds

During his last months he was out of insurance money and I believe he went to West Virginia to convalescence on a farm.

20. Summer of Malcontent

For a low-key, only marginally successful musician, Molina sure got around when it came to recording. To my knowledge, he recorded albums in nine different states (The Black Ram was recorded in Virginia, but nothing from West Virginia, to my knowledge), plus the UK, Italy and Belgium.

21. jonnyhambone

jonnyhambone Forum Resident

The Lioness boxset is out in a couple weeks, gorgeous album that’s been hard to find and now fleshed out with unheard songs from the accompanying sessions. Arab Strap largely backed him on this and add a lot of texture and droney vibe to the sound and songs Jason had already been creating for a couple albums. 3000 copies being pressed, not sure if this is a lot for his work but I’m sure not missing out on this one. (a better description is a few posts up ^).

Ernest T likes this.
  22. Summer of Malcontent

I just received my copy of the Lioness box and, my God, is this a thing of beauty. Two heavy-duty gatefold sleeves, lyric book, liner notes, and there's a pocket inside the Lioness sleeve to house all the major and minor arcana (a copy of the postcard used for the album cover, a photo, a download card, a guitar pick, a reproduction of one of Molina's letters in an envelope, a playing card, a cheque written by Molina for a million kisses). Can't wait to listen to the new tracks.

23. Nice. Mine is on the way but since it's a Christmas present from my daughter I'm going to suffer the joy of anticipation for a few more weeks.

24. mds

Almost makes me want to purchase a turntable, nice purchase :edthumbs:

25. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

Ugh, missing Molina a lot these days. Josephine is such a great album. Been devouring Sojourner as well. Just wanted to share because there’s no one here who I can talk to about his music and how much it means to me. I used to watch his YouTube videos all the time in around 2008 or so wishing I would get to see him. When he was sick on the farm I was going to write him a letter. I wish I had :(
    One day I want to make a pilgrimage to Indiana to maybe see his plaque or something. Is there any site to visit?

mds, Rupe33 and Ernest T like this.