Jason Molina, Songs: Ohia, Pyramid Electric Co. & Magnolia Electric Co.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mds, Aug 5, 2014.

1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Ouch! :tiphat:

2. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

There's also a live album (Live at the Cat's Cradle, 2007) available for download from the official website magnoliaelectricco.com. It's only 5 bucks and the money goes to Molina's family to help pay for his medical bills. It's a very nice set, and the only official release to date of MEC's late live staple 'Astrabel' (and a cover of Hank Williams' 'You Win Again').

AlienRendel and Rockinrob like this.
  3. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

It's funny this thread popped up today. I can't claim to be a huge fan of Jason Molina, due to limited exposure, but I listened to Josephine recently and, man, that's a good album ...

4. Summer of Malcontent

Absolutely, and personally I'd rank that the lowest of the Magnolia Electric Co. albums.

AlienRendel and bryduck like this.
  5. mds

mds Forum Resident Thread Starter

Cat's Cradle is a great live show, well recorded, nice set list, well worth owning.

6. mds

You might enjoy this concert then -

AlienRendel likes this.
  7. Does anyone know if the KG cut of Ghost Tropic is still available? I see on Discogs another version without his name in the deadwax and I'd prefer a KG cut.

8. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Hard to say. If I recall correctly, my KG copy had a crossbow sticker, a download code and inverted labels. Beyond that, I'm not sure there's a way to tell what you're getting from the outside.
    Rest assured the other versions should be very good as well.

9. Thanks for the info - I'll just go with what's available then!

10. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

Rupe33 and nibor like this.
  11. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

Would love for Secretly Canadian to put 'The Lioness' back in print - not sure why it appears to be his only studio LP OOP.

12. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I'd still love a Reissue of sojourner, especially on vinyl

jedilips00 and hamicle like this.
  13. irong

irong Forum Resident

What a coincidence, I wrote to Secretly Canadian this weekend asking about The Lioness being OOP. I got an answer this morning and they said they were going to reprint it at some point.

Maybe they underestimated the demand.

hamicle likes this.
  14. Summer of Malcontent

There's an unreleased Molina track ('Royko') available on this new digital compilation, Our First 100 Days (Our First 100 Days, by Our First 100 Days ). It's a fundraising venture for groups under threat from the new regime.

lemonade kid and BeardedSteven like this.
  15. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

Same here. Black Ram is probably my 2nd favorite thing he's done and I'd love it on wax.

16. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

"Under threat from the new regime." Give me a break, I'm so sick of these people. If you don't want to support these guys, you can find the song here for free. it used to be called Anchor&Liberty. It's the second song.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  17. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

That's great! I emailed them about it a few months ago and heard nothing back.

18. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

Four years since Jason passed away.

19. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I just noticed Secretly is bundling this book with a live Songs Ohia LP. They say it's only available if you pre-order it from them. Guessing it really won't be available in stores? Just a heads up for anyone that might be interested.

Live at WOBC Oct. 12, 1994 - Songs: Ohia | Secretly Store

Ernest T and Sprocket Henry like this.
  20. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I inquired about this at my local store today, which happens to be in Bloomington where Secretly is based. I thought they might be able to get a copy for me to save postage. But they said they definitely are not able to. Something about the contract with his widow. So if anyone wants that live LP it's definitely a pre-order through Secretly Canadian only thing. Just another head's up. Amazon has the book listed for $35 so $39.99 for the bundle is actually not a bad deal.

21. Summer of Malcontent

If you're not in the US, the less punitive postage from the European source may work out better for you.

BeardedSteven likes this.
  22. mds

It is a rainy day so I pulled out my copies of "Journey On: Collected Singles" produced under the Songs:Ohia moniker. Very early Molina recordings, mostly done to cassette and sold at the concerts. It also has the two songs (Soul/Freedom Pt. 2) Will Oldham produced for Jason on his Palace label way back in the very beginning. Melancholy with minimal accompaniment, as you would expect.

Ernest T likes this.
  23. mds

I just purchased tickets to the Molina tribute concert and just received the book. Looking forward to both.

24. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Where is the concert?

25. mds