Jazz Beat - Part 21

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Apr 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

After hearing some 30 second clips of the tracks, I'm looking forward to three International Phonograph reissues including Clare Fischer's Extension

clare-fischer-extension-20110906122754.jpg

Art K, hvbias, mike_c and 3 others like this.
  3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

[​IMG]

My copy's on Score, not Intro, but otherwise it's identical:

[​IMG]

Art K, Campbell Saddler, DrJ and 2 others like this.
  4. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Some of this is on the Art Pepper Mosaic Select.

5. action pact

Good stuff! The LP is kind of hissy though... Score was Alladin's budget label.

6. action pact

I got through all four LPs over the weekend.

I love the variety of the music, Kirk very obviously made an effort to not repeat himself. It makes it really easy to listen for an extended period and maintain interest.

Kirk sure had a wonderfully twisted sense of humor, along with an obviously brilliant mind. In this respect, he reminds me of Thelonious Monk. (Imagine if those two quirky geniuses had combined forces?)

The mastering on this collection is, of course, world class. A very worthwhile purchase, absolutely highly recommended!

[​IMG]

7. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

I also enjoy this set. No complaints.

8. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Down Home Style -- Brother Jack McDuff, Groove heavy, organ-driven' soul jazz.

9. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Jerry Granelli UFB – News From the Street (Intuition Music)
    — With Kai Bruckner, Christian Kogel, Andreas Walter

[​IMG]

Drums, bass and two guitars. Good recording with Granelli originals plus covers of tunes by Thelonious Monk, Ry Cooder, Bruce Hornsby & Jimmy Hendrix. Jazzy and bluesy. Makes me think of Frisell or Scofield in places. And cheap used copies can be had on Amazon.

Art K, hvbias, JETman and 2 others like this.
  10. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

That's an excellent one - everything they've released (International Phonograph) has been outstanding.

Campbell Saddler and JETman like this.
  11. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

William Parker Quartet – Wood Flute Songs – CD1 – Yoshi's 2006, 1st set (Aum Fidelity)
    — With Hamid Drake, Rob Brown, Lewis Barnes
    [​IMG]

DrJ, hvbias, Campbell Saddler and 3 others like this.
  12. Oliver Nelson - Sound Pieces

[​IMG]

Art K, DrJ, hvbias and 8 others like this.
  13. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

For the ride this morning, Booker Ervin first in a run of Pacific Jazz albums. I remember an old record store compadre talkin' this one up pretty big before its subsequent CD reissue. Although it features a somewhat odd lineup including a "post-apocalyptic Blue Note" Charles Tolliver, John Hicks, Red Mitchell (!) and Lenny McBrowne, it works quite nicely:

upload_2014-4-7_11-8-45.jpeg

14. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I have the Pepper selections on 'The Return of Art Pepper: The Complete Aladdin Recordings-Volume One', a Blue Note CD from 1988, digital transfer by Ron McMaster.

DrJ likes this.
  15. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Don't you hate it when a thread changes and you have things to say? I copped this haven to mention something about a guitar player you mentioned, Brad Schoeppach. Er, no, Brad Shepik. Actually both.

I was prompted to pull out a Pachora record for this beautifully sunny morn. This band includes Jimmy Black so I thought it would be good to tie it into the Douglas thing.

A melding of jazz with middle eastern scales and "stylings":rolleyes: It's a very fine listen, even for a morning commute as it is rather 'driving' in it's delivery.

To make it even more desirable it was engineered by Jim Anderson at Avatar.

Shepik used to be Schoeppach BTW. Been lucky enough to catch him live both ways.:D

Pachora: AST

Chris Speed: Clarinet
    Brad Shepik: Tamboura, Electric Saz
    Skuli Sverrisson: Bass
    Jim Black: Snare, bass drum, dumbek, percussion

Ast.jpg

For a really interesting connection this same rhythm section is on Laurie Anderson's post-9/11 live record. Good stuff.

LA.jpg

Art K, DrJ and JETman like this.
  16. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Good stuff! Here's another Speed/Black vehicle I'm fond of -- this time with Rosenwinkel on geetar and Andrew D'Angelo as the 2nd horn in place of the bass (hey, that rhymes :D):

upload_2014-4-7_11-51-53.jpeg

hkm3 and AxiomAcoustics like this.
  17. AxiomAcoustics

At's a good one as well. Of course I'm sure you've listened to Rosenwinkle as part of Motian's Electric Bebop Band. What a buncha geeks are we?

Which brings me to.... Take this video, drop 3-4 Jazz Beat participants into this setting, replace "read" with "listen" or "have" and this is what you'd get.:angel::winkgrin:

DrJ, Campbell Saddler and JETman like this.
  18. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Randy Weston - African Cookbook
    Randy Weston, piano & celeste; Booker Ervin, tenor sax; Ray Copeland, trumpet & flugelhorn;
    Vishnu Wood, bass; Lenny McBrowne, drums; Big Black, conga drums & vocal;
    Sir Harold Murray, percussion.

[​IMG]

Beatnik_Daddyo'73, Art K, DrJ and 8 others like this.
  19. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

But of course! :D I am a self-anointed Motian-o-phile. I realize that many aren't fond of his "less than outward" approach to drumming (he'll never be confused with Elveen or Tony, for instance), but I think he was da-bomb, and dammit, I have all of his leader dates as well as most of his sideman appearances. I'd imagine that you'd be pretty proud of him since he's from your home state :)

As far as Kurt goes, I think he's a fantastic player (far ahead of most on the scene today, as a matter of fact), but over time I've lost interest in his "play to the masses" tendencies.

20. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Btw, that YouTube is freaking hilarious! Made my Monday :biglaugh:

21. AxiomAcoustics

As intended!:agree:

JETman likes this.
  22. AxiomAcoustics

Funny you mention TW, listening to him now! Next post.

Have you gotten to listen to Terry Gross' interviews with Motian? I'm sure "yes" but if not well worth digging up. You can hear her genuine enthusiasm for his work. IIRC her husband is a huge jazzophile.

Agreed fully on the Rosenwinkle direction.

JETman likes this.
  23. AxiomAcoustics

Funny, we always think of "Ego" as purely self-serving and irrational but in reality it's a mediator. Which sort of explains this record. With a cover like this and a title of "EGO" you'd expect some HEAVY drumming to be contained within. Maybe even to the point of bombast. In 'reality' (an important part of the ego) it's not very drum-centric at all. In fact, the drums take a back seat for most of the album while featuring several TW vocals. In fact there are two other drummers on the roster. Too bad it wasn't called "Id".:laugh:

Tony Williams: Ego

TW: Drums, Vocals
    Khalid Yasin aka Larry Young: Organ
    Ted Dunbar: Guitar
    Ron Carter: Bass, Cello
    Don Alias, Warren Smith: Drums, Percussion

Ego.jpg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    Art K, DrJ, hvbias and 5 others like this.
  24. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

DrJ, JETman and AxiomAcoustics like this.
  25. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Did someone mention Motian? Playing right now...

[​IMG]

Art K, Six String, DrJ and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.