Jazz Beat - Part 21

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Apr 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I was surprised too so it was a gut reaction and though I don't own any Black Crowes, I have liked what I've heard and I know their hearts are in the right place so I figured it was low risk and cheaper than that other vinyl offering they had recently and it didn't include Jimmy Page.
    I'm coming back with some jazz next guys, I promise!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  2. Six String

Six String Senior Member

As promised and to pay for my sins of speaking rock in a jazz thread I'm reaching back to The Hawk! I love his tone. It slays me every time I hear it. image.jpg

Cactus Bob, TimArruda, JETman and 2 others like this.
  3. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I used to ignore the Bill Evans albums with anyone beyond the trio but after living with that choice for a few decades I changed and learned that those albums with other musicians has some merit. Fancy that. :D

Full disclosure, I still haven't heard this one.

TimArruda likes this.
  4. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Don't know who she is; but, with a supporting cast like that, I'll take a punt anyway.

5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

image.jpg It appears we offended no one.

NP on a Lee Morgankick at the moment. It's an interesting collection. I like Speedball a lot which I discovered on the wonderful Lighthouse Concert recording. He was really starting to take off towards the end of his life. What could have been......

That photo looks more 3D than the real thing.

Cactus Bob, DrJ, TimArruda and 3 others like this.
  6. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Bobby Hutcherson - Un Poco Loco

[​IMG]

7. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

Hmm...maybe I should have purchased that Mosaic 1960 Jazz Messengers box after all: Art Blakey--The Freedom Rider
    (the most hardbop emphasis I've heard from this Jazz Messengers lineup, and it's cool the CD reissue has 3 bonus tracks)

[Blakey (d), Lee Morgan (t), Wayne Shorter (ts), Bobby Timmons (p), Jymie Merritt (b)]

blakey.jpg

saskimo, Erik B., 56GoldTop and 12 others like this.
  8. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Bill Evans – Empathy (Verve)
    — With Monty Budwig, Shelly Manne

[​IMG]

9. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

10. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Disc VII - The unreleased stuff from the My Favourite Quintet gig of 13th May 1965.

[​IMG]

11. TimArruda

TimArruda Well-Known Member

Kenny Burrell - Blue Note 1543

[​IMG]

Kenny Burrell - guitar
    Frank Foster - tenor saxophone
    Tommy Flanagan - piano
    Paul Chambers - bass (track 1)
    Oscar Pettiford - bass (tracks 3-7)
    Kenny Clarke - drums (track 1)
    Shadow Wilson - drums (tracks 3-7)
    Candido - conga

12. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Early morning Easter prayer music :D:

upload_2014-4-20_8-11-49.jpeg upload_2014-4-20_8-12-18.jpeg

13. Jgmh

Jgmh Well-Known Member

14. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

15. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Perfect for today, I'd say ;)

Without worrying about which religion you follow or even about whether or not you're religious at all, wishing everybody out there a Happy Easter!

16. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Yes I was just looking at the liners myself and you have the personnel listed correctly. And I agree with your deduction about the bass boom 100%! :righton:

I listened to the album again yesterday doing something I essentially NEVER do - using tone control adjustment (normally I have the tone control circuit completely disabled on my preamp but it's nice to have the option to engage it once in a while). After setting the bass to -2, the music was much easier to enjoy, with a reasonable overall bass presence. But it's a shame one has to do this on an otherwise beautiful recording done by consummate professionals like Marciano and Kirsch!

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  17. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I was quite disappointed with both the live Lloyd and Montgomery recordings Resonance issued for RSD yesterday, in terms of sonics - these are really archeological finds, especially the Lloyd - the mix is totally off - fine if all you want to hear is Lloyd plus a little guitar but nothing else - the rhythm section is essentially M.I.A. in the recording. Doubt there was much anyone could do about that. The fidelity and mix on the live Montgomery is marginally better but really Wes - obviously the center of attention for most people (certainly me) - isn't that well-captured (IMHO), kind of remote/recessed, making it hard to hear any of the initial attack on guitar notes, taking away a lot of what made Montgomery distinctive. He ends up sounding generic, which of course we know he was anything but.

On the other hand, this one, the other 10" Montgomery issued by Resonance Records for 2014 RSD, I find to be a gem
    [​IMG]
    Professionally recorded (by Frank Laico no less!) for release by Epic in 1955 - at the instigation of Quincy Jones (who contributed the brief but entertainingly informal liners on the back cover) - and sonically wonderful, captures Wes's sound perfectly. And the playing, though certainly not top flight Wes, is darn good. "Pookie" (yes, "Pookie") Johnson was a pretty good saxophonist.

18. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

That is a wonderful song; this looks like an interesting Rowles recording I never knew about, will have to check it out.

I agree about Carmen's interpretation of "The Ballad of Thelonious Monk." Her long introductory story about it on the original 2 LP release of THE GREAT AMERICAN SONGBOOK is priceless. Shame they cut all her intros/patter from the CD reissue (due to time constraints I guess, to fit it on a single CD).

That's a live recording, btw, that is long overdue for a deluxe treatment of some kind in my opinion. Beyond restoring all the patter, I would think there has to be unissued material that could be used to fill out a 2nd CD (though I hate to say it, but maybe if there was unissued stuff, it could have been on some of the reels that perished in the legendary Atlantic storage facility fire...shame if so). Joe Pass, Chuck Domanico, Chuck Flores, Rowles, and Carmen all in their prime, beautifully registered in a club setting with much of the ambiance also retained on the tapes - what's not to like?

Campbell Saddler likes this.
  19. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

See my review - I agree about the high cost (and from a sanity standpoint I think you are MORE than right to just wait for the CDs - in other words I'm insane and fully aware of it! ;)), but of the 3 10" LPs Resonance put out for 2014 RSD for my money the studio Montgomery disc is the real winner. If they end up putting out some expanded CD issue with more previously lost Wes studio stuff that has anything like this kind of fidelity, I'll be all over it.

BTW doing a search on this title I came across Resonance's Facebook page, where there's a posting of a pic of this studio Montgomery 10". One of the commenters saying "I hope I am fortunate to get a copy" was jazz guitarist Vic Juris!

20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Probably never going to see an expanded version of that, my guess is that no extra material still exists.

The Japanese put out a two cd set that was an exact reissue of the two lp set, with all the spoken bits. They have now released two separate volumes in their 24 bit reissue series, and I would expect all the spoken bits are intact there. I'm a fan of that series, I may end up picking those up one day, but I reach for my two lp set often enough that I probably don't need to.

DrJ likes this.
  21. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Listening to now:
    [​IMG]
    Eddie Jefferson, THINGS ARE GETTING BETTER (Muse, 1974). Great fun and pushing the boundaries harder than some Jefferson, with added vocals over "Bitches Brew" and "Freedom Jazz Dance" as well as more typically boppish material. Full of great players who excel in this type of unconventional, forget the rules/expectations kind of setting, Mitchell and Tucker especially who move around on instruments, contributing to the variety of the program.

22. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I agree, if there's nothing more on those discs than what's on the LP, no reason to get them from my personal standpoint, as it's very nice sounding 2 LP set. Mostly I posted to notify others with vinyl playback capability that the patter is missing on the U.S. single CD issue (which btw - for those same folks - is otherwise quite nice sounding, very faithful to the sound of the LPs - so if you don't want the patter, it's a good option otherwise).

23. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

But. . . get this recording with the spoken bits, they're so wonderful. I especially love Carmen talking about how she's an expert on affairs of the heart, and about Jimmy Rowles. :)

DrJ likes this.
  24. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I love her off-beat nicknames for Rowles.

Certainly the 2LP set (or Japanese CDs that contain the patter) would be my personal recommendation - but I've come to be aware over time that some people actually don't like patter on live CDs - even "good" patter like this. Hard for me to fathom, but there it is...

25. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Thanks for saving me a few bucks.:thumbsup: Did not make it yesterday but hoping to today if all goes well.

You did not opt for that Sun Ra on psychedelic vinyl?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.