Jazz Beat (Part 27)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

Quite the introduction to his style: Johnny Griffin--Introducing Johnny Griffin

[Griffin (ts), Wynton Kelly (p), Curley Russell (b), Max Roach (d)]

[​IMG]

"The Boy Next Door":

Joe071, fingerpoppin, JRM and 10 others like this.
  2. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Thanks!

Campbell Saddler likes this.
  3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

4. hkm3

hkm3 Forum Resident

Hello! Did this band ever record together? Anybody know? There´s Jackie McLean, Woody Shaw,McCoy Tyner,Cecil McBee and Jack DeJohnette (Lot´s of "macs", now that i think of it).

5. action pact

This is an interesting collection featuring some live MJQ along with some of Milt Jackson's side projects. Mastered by Mark Wilder and Dennis Drake.

As I recall it, the "Compact Jazz" series was an early budget CD series. There was also a companion "Cassette Jazz" series that sounded pretty good too. I have the Wes Montgomery cassette volume stashed away somewhere.

[​IMG]

6. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

7. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Nice. I'm excited, going to see Pelt next Saturday at Stanford, with Jimmy and Tootie Heath!

Campbell Saddler and SteelyTom like this.
  8. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Last night:
    [​IMG]
    German CD reissue, originally recorded in 1964 and released on ESP Disk. Not an absolute masterpiece, but there are some moments of very high level collective improvising, where everything comes together. This is also a recording that makes me even further appreciate Albert Ayler's talent. He's in some remarkable company and yet it is Ayler's playing that consistently commands the most attention, for its sheer force and passion and, yes, musicality.

Then this morning, the calm after the storm:
    [​IMG]
    Drive Archive CD reissue of this 1955 Bethlehem release. Roland is a fine vibraphonist, and Dick Garcia on guitar is also very good - this vibes/guitar/sometimes piano chamber jazz type of configuration seems to have been really popular around this period (Tal Farlow, Sal Salvador, Lou Mecca, Joe Puma, and others issued all issued roughly contemporary records in this vein). Also on board is Freddie Redd on piano, a couple years before he came to the fore briefly as a leader for Blue Note, sounding fleet and lyrical. Danny Martucci, bass and Ron Jefferson, drums round out the quintet. It's all nicely registered in mono by Rudy Van Gelder, in that good old Hackensack living room studio.

9. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Garcia was a friend of my uncle's. He played geetar at my parents' wedding reception in 1951!

10. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Adam Lane / Full Throttle Orchestra – New Magical Kingdom (Clean Feed Records)
    — With Darren Johnson, Aaron Bennett, Jeff Chan or Lynn Johnston, John Finkbeiner, Vijay Anderson

[​IMG]

11. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

That's badassed. There's four Volumes, Volume 2 covers this band with Cecil Taylor on 1 track and Bennie Wallace on 1 track.

[​IMG]

12. action pact

13. AxiomAcoustics

Nice to see that Ayler! I've never seen the film for which that was the soundtrack have you? I've got that CD version as well as a Get Back Italian pressing on "HQ 180g Pure Virgin Vinyl" from 1998, oddly. Distributed by Runt in San Francisco. It came with this 'zine inside from SF called "Scraps Of Paper: The Drifter's Journal of Urban Sensitivity". That was a weird surprise since the cover is a softcore shot of a buxom lady but the content is purely surrealist-punk-eco-prop with ads for indie record labels and the like.

DrJ likes this.
  14. AxiomAcoustics

15. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

THE GERRY MULLIGAN & PAUL DESMOND QUARTET / BLUES IN TIME / VERVE / 1957 / MFSL 24K GOLD UDCD 648

Paul Desmond (as), Gerry Mulligan (bs), Joe Benjamin (b), Dave Bailey (d)

[​IMG]

16. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

No I've never seen the film, though I'd like to - reading it about it, it sounds very interesting. Interesting about the vinyl reissue insert!

17. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I was at that show.

[​IMG]

18. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Steve Lacy Three – N.Y. Capers & Quirks (Hatology)
    — With Ronnie Boykins, Dennis Charles; live at Soundscape, NYC, 1979

[​IMG]

19. AxiomAcoustics

A local art cinema showed it as part of a fest some years back but I had to miss it. Snow's follow-up film "Wavelengths" starred Roswell Rudd.(!?)

DrJ likes this.
  20. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

21. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

Using here the widest possible definition of "Jazz", these was just presented on Austrian Radio Oe1 and made me order subject CD....

22. AxiomAcoustics

Nice! How did CT integrate into the proceedings? I ask that as a CT fan who realizes and accepts that his 'individuality' can sometimes, uh, create new opportunities shall we say?:)

23. AxiomAcoustics

Fantastic Lacy trio. IIRC someone on here was at that show as well. PhillyQ?

24. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

I wish, sounds great!:)

25. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

Dave Holland succesfully "moonlights" on this nice solo album from 1995, recorded during his stance with ECM....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.