Jazz Beat (Part 28)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Oliver LakeZaki (Hat ART)
    — With Michael Gregory Jackson, Pheeroan AkLaff; recorded live at Willisau

[​IMG]

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Warner Japan 24 bit
    [​IMG]

3. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

NP :

[​IMG]

Another replay - this belongs unquestionably to my favourite Piano Trios - very good remastering and transfer too (to me better sound than the German Vogue "Going Classic" LP !!) ......highly recommended !!!

Will be followed by another worthy installment featuring the same musicians :

[​IMG]

(CD MPS Universal Japan POCJ-2825 released 1999)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    Campbell Saddler, Joe071, DrJ and 2 others like this.
  4. Lonson

I wish I could listen to this picture!

[​IMG]

5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

An yes, when white shoes were cool. :)

6. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Is that Cab Calloway in the white shoes? Eddie Condon on guitar. The tenor man looks like Bud Freeman.

7. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

8. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Ahmad Jamal at the Blackhawk (Argo) grey mono pressing.

9. Lonson

Right on all accounts. Ivie Anderson is dancing. Pretty sure that's Brad Gowans on valve trombone. Trumpets that are visible are I think Rex Stewart, Max Kaminsky and Hot Lips Page. Not sure who the trumpeter with a hidden face is. Juan Tizol is there without a trombone.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    vanhooserd likes this.
  10. Lonson

11. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Mood In Blue - Compilation (Urania)
    This is one of those mood albums of the 1950s created by jazz musicians of the day. This one features Coleman Hawkins, Ernie Royal, Willie "The Lion" Smith, Jack Teagarden and Lucky Thompson taking turns trying to woo whoever this record is aimed t. They are supported by a variety of able bodied musicians including Billy Taylor, Wendell Marshall, Milt Hinton, Osie Johnson, Denzil Best and Oscar Pettiford. These are basically jazz ballads, instant mood to be woo'ed music. :) Hey, it's got some Coleman Hawkins cuts so I'm not complaining! It's all good though I'm not partial to jazz vocals in general so Jack Teagarden's vocals don't do much for me but it is a rarity on the lp.
    I've never heard of the label but it states on the cover that it is a "symbol of high fidelity" and lists the equipment used to record and master the album.

12. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

The Complete Lester Young

The Essential Keynote Collection, Vol. 1

[​IMG]

13. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

I never tire of this beautiful LP. Almost 41 years old.

[​IMG]

hkm3, autodidact, Voltaire and 3 others like this.
  14. Lonson

15. Lonson

I don't have this, but have all the albums this compilation draws from. Oddly it took me years to really appreciate many jazz vocalists. . . Jack Teagarden was among the first I "got" and he's among my favorites.

16. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

17. Six String

Six String Senior Member

What albums is this one drawn from? :confused:

I've finally corrected my recent Tom Harrell deficit by ordering three Groove Note CDs. He's been busy since I last bought one on that label.

18. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Toshiba Japan "TOCJ-" CD reissue from 1995. Recorded in 1960. A typically well-chosen and varied selection of tunes ("Now's the Time," "Summertime," "Broadway," "Poinciana," "Sonnymoon for Two" among others) that Harris and crew swing in their inimitable way: uncluttered, direct, lyrical bop lines, layered on a solid blues foundation. I still don't quite understand why Red Garland gets kudos while Gene Harris gets faint praise or, worse, derision, and Simpkins and Dowdy were no slouches, either. The Three Sounds and the Red Garland Trio had more in common than is often acknowledged.

19. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I love "Big T"'s vocals. He & Armstrong did a great duet on "Rockin' Chair". When I think of Teagarden I think of him singing "St. James Infirmary".

DrJ likes this.
  20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Shame this was never reissued on CD - well, apart from a EU public-domain 2CD-set release on a certain Spanish label run by Mr Jordi Pujol, that is.

21. Lonson

Urania Records
    [​IMG] Meet the New Jack Teagarden, vol. 1 Label: Urania UJLP 1001 10" LP 1954
    Photo: Hugh Bell

[​IMG] Coleman Hawkins: Accent on Tenor Sax Label: Urania UJLP 1205 12" LP 1955
    Photo: Jay Maisel

[​IMG] Lucky Thompson: Accent on Tenor Label: Urania UJLP 1206 12" LP 1955

[​IMG] Jack Teagarden: Accent on Trombone Label: Urania UJLP 1208 12" LP 1955

Campbell Saddler likes this.
  22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: George Wallington - Jazz for the Carriage Trade - Original Jazz Classics/Prestige. A 1956 quintet date with Donald Byrd (trumpet), Phil Woods (alto saxophone), George Wallington (piano), Teddy Kotick (bass) and Arthur Taylor (drums).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  23. Lonson

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Also these two on Urania. I don't have the actual lps, but have the music.

24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Tadd Dameron - The Magic Touch - Original Jazz Classics/Riverside. A 1962 big-band date.

[​IMG]

25. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Impulse Europe 755 742-2 released 2003)

Campbell Saddler and DrJ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.