Jazz Beat (Part 29)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Aug 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Must've been you doing that New Dance ;)

2. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

You captured some great soloing moments in your shots; thanks for posting them :cheers:

btf1980 and 56GoldTop like this.
  3. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

I'll never tell. :)

4. Campbell Saddler

I had a Cactus Bob moment at a thrift store recently: The 2 CD RCA compilation Benny Carter--Jazz Tribune No. 4 (1928-1952) was a great find at $2.00

[Carter (as, cl, t, arranger) in 14 different groupings with Bud Freeman, Chick Webb, Chu Berry, Doc Cheatham, Lionel Hampton, Coleman Hawkins, and others]

[​IMG]

With Ben Webster, Chu Berry, Coleman Hawkins, Dizzy Gillespie, Lionel Hampton, and Charlie Christian on Hampton's "When Lights Are Low"

Joe071, DrJ, Cactus Bob and 4 others like this.
  5. Campbell Saddler

Dave Burrell's "Echo" emphatically concludes Disc 1 of the Jazzactuel box set:

[​IMG]

"Echo":

sberger, Joe071, DrJ and 4 others like this.
  6. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

JOE HENDERSON / PAGE ONE / BLUE NOTE / 1963 / ANALOGUE PRODUCTIONS SACD

Personnel: Joe Henderson (ts), Kenny Dorham (t), McCoy Tyner (p), Butch Warren (b), Pete La Roca (d)

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

BILL EVANS / AT THE MONTREUX JAZZ FESTIVAL / VERVE / 1968 / POCJ 9011 24K GOLD CD

Personnel: Bill Evans (p), Eddie Gomez (b), Jack DeJohnette (d)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

9. rufusbass

rufusbass Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Love these Steve Khan LPs....GREAT line up, and quite nicely recorded too....And 99c cheap :)

10. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

The Curtis Counce Group

Contemporary C3526

[​IMG]

11. hkm3

hkm3 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Dr J:s brief mention of Anthony Cox yesterday made me pull this one out of the shelf. A fabulous record.

Joe071, Campbell Saddler, DrJ and 4 others like this.
  12. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

NP :

[​IMG]

(CD New Jazz Japan UCCO-5358 SHM-CD)

13. Cactus Bob

Found this double lp comp at a thrift last week for 99 cent in excellent condition.

The Best of John Coltrane ~ His Greatest Years

Impulse 2 lp compilation, 1970

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  14. hkm3

hkm3 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

One thing lead to another..It´s been a few years at least since the last time i spinned this one. Great music, played with a lot of attitude.

Joe071, Campbell Saddler and DrJ like this.
  15. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

16. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

I have that vinyl set also, nice score. Sometimes when I need to hear After the Rain and Alabama its nice to have this.

Cactus Bob likes this.
  17. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

First time listens from some more vinyl I picked up at the local vinyl shop this weekend during a sale.

Duke Pearson - Sweet Honey Bee
    [​IMG]
    Not as great as Wahoo but a strong release with good tunes and arrangements. I would like a little more solo's with my Joe Henderson on this but what he plays is perfect for the songs which this is fine because this album is about the tunes, chordal voicings, swing and melodies.

Stanley Turrentine - Mr. Natural
    [​IMG]
    Nice playing by Lee Morgan, MyCoy Tyner and Elvin Jones. With the conga playing of Barretto on a Turrentine record I was excepting lighter fair, while not blistering Art Blakey Jazz Messengers this fits right in with along other great early to mid 60's Blue Note albums. Well worth seeking out for fans of the era and Blue Note.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  18. Cactus Bob

Thanks, it played great all the way through, not a pop or anything. With it I found a copy of Hancock's "Man Child". I cleaned it with the VPI, looks good except for one visual scratch on side two. I haven't played it yet though.

Joe071 likes this.
  19. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Sweet Honey Bee is still pretty good in my book!

NP I Just Dropped By To Say Hello - Johnny Hartman (Impulse) black & orange mono pressing
    W/Hank Jones, Illinois Jacquet, Jim Hall, Kenny Burrell, Milt Hinton and Elvin Jones. Could you think up a better band to make music behind your voice?

20. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    On the Between the Lines label, recorded in 2001. Really digging this one. Lindberg is a phenomenal bassist and musical thinker, and Susie Ibarra is the percussionist and I'd put her at the very top of my short list of the best this current generation has to offer. Plus there's Bakaida Carrol on trumpet. Beautiful.

Campbell Saddler likes this.
  21. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

And one more before retiring for the evening - after Cactus Bob posted on finding some of the Franklin Mint Greatest Jazz Recordings of All time sets a while back I've been on the lookout, and found a nice one today - VOLUME 20, PIANO STYLISTS 1927-1980. A 4 LP set, with wonderful pressings, nicely mastered, on beautiful red vinyl. The thing that sets these apart from mere collectibles that sit prettily on a shelf is that the track selections are very intelligent, compiled by the Rutgers Institute of Jazz Studies, and the accompanying booklet and liners are really good. Definitely more about breadth than depth - most artists get only one track - but as a historical survey that tells a compelling story, this would be hard to top, with tracks by obvious choices (Ahmad Jamal, Mary Lou Williams, Herbie Hancock, etc) as well as less heralded but interesting players like Dick Twardzik and Teddy Weatherford. Listened to one of the records today, with selections by Mary Lou Williams, Jimmy Rowles, Dave McKenna, Ellis Larkins, and many others. Even with thousands of titles in my jazz collection, there are things on here I'd never heard of that will prompt me to discover new artists or different facets of old favorite players' careers.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    Joe071 and Cactus Bob like this.
  22. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I have several CDs of his plus some communal projects. He's on the Herbie Nichols Projects stuff, right? :confused: About eight years ago or so the HNP opened for someone in San Francisco and I was up in the balcony and after their first song they stopped and introduced themselves and I roared my approval in a space where apparently no one else made a sound. So I remember very vividly that John, and I think someone else did too, looked up towards me wondering who in the hell on the West Coast knows who we are? :confused: :D I was thrilled to see them even though they played less than an hour since they opened. I can't even remember who the headliner was! :laugh:

DrJ likes this.
  23. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I don't think he's been with Herbie Nichols Project (at least the recordings) - that's Ben Allison. But Lindberg has played with a lot of talented cats - particularly as part of the String Trio of New York (w/ Billy Bang). That's a great story, thanks for sharing!

24. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

25. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Jubilee Japan TOCJ-50170)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.