Jazz Beat (Part 31)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry, Oct 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

[​IMG]

2. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

maybe not - because it's not a question - it's humor.

3. AxiomAcoustics

John Zorn: Alto
    Bill Frisell: Guitar
    Bill Laswell: Bass
    Joey Baron: Drums

4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Okay, but there wasn't anything I saw funny in it. :doh:

Right now, no jazz, I decided to see if my Dad can handle me playing through my Complete RCA Recordings of Julian Bream box. So far so good.

5. AxiomAcoustics

I really like Bream. So, 42 discs for ~$125 eh? It's been stewing on my Wish List. Aside from the insanely low per-disc price does this come recommended?

6. Lonson

I'm just starting to listen to this set, but I am familiar with about a quarter of it outside the set and that caused me to get it. Great player, great selection of music, and the sound seems excellent. So, a recommendation from me.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  7. AxiomAcoustics

Straight reissues? Remasters?

8. Lonson

Each cd is a facsimile of the lp release. And the whole set is newly remastered by the same crew, so the sound is consistent.

9. AxiomAcoustics

I hope you get to that Wasilewski faster than I have, had it since last week and still have not listened to it. I love his work late, in the dark with delicate sizzle cymbals hanging in the air. That Maupin is a score!

WorldB3 likes this.
  10. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Shigeharu Mukai Quintet - For My Little Bird

[​IMG]

ether-bored likes this.
  11. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

just started lurking in this thread, and I am amazed that y'all are able to listen to so much music so often. I am jealous...

on the listening front, I am lookin forward to the virgin listen of rembering weather report after I put my daughter to sleep for the evening. might be able to follow it up with rerun to forever, and Marc Johnson's Swept Away [the ECM sale at hd tracks couldn't be passed up by me, though I am bummed Shades of Jade Ian available speaking of scoffed)]...

love seeing you guys talk about stuff recorded with a single stereo mic, direct to two tracks. recordings like those motivated me to track down the akg c422 I have been using to record bands locally for the past decade...

AxiomAcoustics and jiffypopinski like this.
  12. CodyW

CodyW Forum Resident

Keith Jarrett: Standards Live

Vinyl

[​IMG]

DrJ, macdaddysinfo, Voltaire and 4 others like this.
  13. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Steve Kuhn - Trance

[​IMG]

DrJ, alankin1, AxiomAcoustics and 5 others like this.
  14. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Aretha Franklin - Unforgettable a tribute to Dinah Washington (Columbia) 2 Eye mono pressing.
    That might be pushing it in a jazz thread but it sure is good. Her best Columbia era recording?

ether-bored and fingerpoppin like this.
  15. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Ok, this is pushing it too but no one else is here at the moment (he he).

Sandy Bull (and Billy Higgins) - Inventions (Vanguard) gold stereo label

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  16. Six String

Six String Senior Member

WP Ahmad Jamal at the Blackhawk (Argo) olive green? Label.

NP tommy Flannagan and Red Mitchell - You're Me (Phontastic) cd
    I could have sworn that the cd was recorded in Red Mitchell's apartment but I can't find any info in the booklet that comes with the cd so I'm wondering if I'm confusing this with a different duo album of Red Mitchell's or it was an article in a paper or an interview. Nice relaxed set by two pros.

17. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

well my listening plan got turned on its head due to a technical snafu, so those ecm titles i was looking to explore will have to wait...

however, i was able to enjoy this,

[​IMG]

which i hadn't listened to in quite some time. i had forgotten how much i enjoyed it. "hidden shadows" is the standout to me, as it is simply a solid slice of awesome funk, "hornets" is all over the place (in the most wonderful way) and "rain dance" sets the tone for the whole enchilada, and does its thing, too. this and headhunters are the only two herbie hancock titles i own, and i am really am going to have to go deeper into hiss discography. i probably will go for the other two Mwandishi titles first, then thrust, and then the vsop stuff... for now, however, i am happy to have re-found this piece of music, and i can safely say it is now safely in my current, regular/repeated rotation...

DrJ, Campbell Saddler, hkm3 and 6 others like this.
  18. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

So far the Wasilewski is great, no surprise but I was worried about the Saxophone on some of the tracks.

I came across this old concert poster in my travels in Venice Italy. Would have loved to have seen this.
    [​IMG]

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  19. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

I would go Thrust next and maybe a Blue Note title like Empyrean Isles next. The Mwandishi titles are pretty out there but well worth exploring.

20. ether-bored

i was too, but it's the 'right' sax. and his tone is reminiscent of someone...

21. AxiomAcoustics

Here's a vote for E Pluribus Unum.
    [​IMG]

Six String likes this.
  22. ether-bored

oh man. when i was but a wee lad, a good friend introduced that recording to me. it occupies a really important place in my heart. masterpiece.

23. AxiomAcoustics

Here's an easy, cost-effective way to get that Mwandishi material and keep the often beautifully outre' funk going:

[​IMG]

24. AxiomAcoustics

Oh cut the bull:winkgrin:

25. TimArruda

TimArruda Well-Known Member

Surprised no one responded to this Axiom... It's got my attention, price sounds reasonable. If the quality is there (pressing wise) I'd like to pick up a copy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.