Jazz Beat (Part 33)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Nov 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Salvador is an underrated guitarist in my view. His 3 Bethlehem albums are excellent and so are his earlier Blue Note and Capitol recordings. Recommended!

Campbell Saddler and ether-bored like this.
  2. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Agreed. To my ears, he deserves a place with all the greats of that time -- Farlow, Hall, Raney, Burrell, Smith, etc. I wonder why that didn't happen.

Campbell Saddler and J.A.W. like this.
  3. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Jessica Williams - With Love (Origin) solo piano.

Campbell Saddler and JETman like this.
  4. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

SHE is one of the great pianists of the day! I love her trio recordings, especially these 3 on Maxjazz:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Campbell Saddler and Voltaire like this.
  5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Years ago I asked his son Dan about it, but he didn't have a clue. Dan recommended Sal's 1959 album Colors in Sound, but I don't think that one has ever been released on CD. He sent me a cassette tape copy; it could only be played on my old Sony boombox, but that doesn't work anymore.

6. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Well, maybe I'm willing to overlook that since I adore Miles' early-to-mid 70s period! I think it's a pretty creative recording actually with a cosmic/ambient approach to the music while continuing to stay down and funky with the rhythms.... but that's just me! :)

N/P:

Donald Byrd - Places and Spaces

[​IMG]

7. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Being the curious guy that I am, I decided to check. It turns out that one of your favorite people in the world has released Colors in Sound :D:

http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/colors_in_sound_-_you_aint_heard_nothin_yet-cd-2220.html

[​IMG]

He did do a whole Dauntless label string of releases now that I think of it. This was another one:

[​IMG]

http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/the_country_&_western_sound_of_jazz_pianos-cd-2219.html

IMO, at best, these are obscure, mediocre albums.

8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

JETman likes this.
  9. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

They are indeed obscure; don't know if they're mediocre, I've only heard Colors in Sound and that was a long time ago. I do remember, however, that I preferred Salvador's earlier albums by a large margin.

11. jiffypopinski

Fumio Karashima meets Elvin Jones - Moonflower

[​IMG]

ether-bored, fingerpoppin and JETman like this.
  12. headman

headman Active Member

I like his playing too. Most of his early albums with Eddie Costa on Capitol and Bethlehem can be found on on this :

[​IMG]

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Another European public-domain release, most likely sourced from existing CDs.

14. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

The Dirty Dozen Brass BandBuck Jump (Mammoth Records)

[​IMG]

Cactus Bob and fingerpoppin like this.
  15. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Blue Note Works Japan TOCJ-4046) - simply beautifull platter, became an instant favourite from the first listen (as japanese vinyl GXK-8119, being still with me) onwards...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  16. Voltaire

Voltaire Forum Resident

[​IMG]

1st play new release.

Soulpope likes this.
  17. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Eternal interlude - John Hollenbeck Large Ensemble

SteelyTom and alankin1 like this.
  18. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

CHET BAKER / SHE WAS TOO GOOD TO ME / CTI / 1974 / MUSIC ON CD REISSUE

PERSONNEL: CHET BAKER (TRUMPET, VOCALS), RON CARTER (BASS), BOB JAMES (PIANO, KEYBOARD), PAUL DESMOND (ALTO SAX), STEVE GADD, JACK DEJOHNETTE (DRUMS)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Music on CD is no grey market or public domain label. It is the "digital equivalent" to Music on Vinyl, the holland based reissue label. Mastered by Mark Wilder. Sounds great.

19. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

As far as I can see, what's on the 6CD set is all there is around. There was apparently another night on the 23rd Dec but this doesn't seem to be issued anywhere.

Here's the best place to check - note that there's a difference in what some music is titled - Improvisation #1 / Inamorata (CD) vs Funky Tonk (plosin)

http://www.plosin.com/milesahead/Sessions.aspx?d=7

macdaddysinfo likes this.
  20. Voltaire

Voltaire Forum Resident

[​IMG]

1st play

Cactus Bob and fingerpoppin like this.
  21. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Thanks to both identity confirming that the 6CDs are all that is available; I wonder if the other stuff circulates at all...

That website you linked to above has loads of information; thanks for posting the link. I have checked some of the articles there, but not that session by session list-that is sweet!

Many thanks for the info and for pointing me in the right direction...

Roger Thornhill likes this.
  22. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Blue Note CDP 7 84087 2)

23. jiffypopinski

Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Kirkatron

[​IMG]

24. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

Then you're a lucky man. I was talking about the CD. They should really reissue the CD ASAP. Shameful imo.

I'll give the CD another spin tonight.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
    Cactus Bob likes this.
  25. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

Some of those Wilder remasters of CTI albums sounded rather rolled-off and dull to me, but some are quite nice. This one as I recall sounds good. Also, Wilder seemed to play fast and loose with track timing (not sure about this album, but on other albums the track times do not always match previous releases, often differing by :30 to 1:00 minute.) That's not a deal killer, but sometimes it just doesn't make sense to me. (Unless there were tape wrinkles and they rolled off a track early to avoid.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.