JBL is reissuing the classic L100 speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Monsieur Gadbois, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Fruff76

Fruff76 Well-Known Member

I can tell you in my set up, they don’t.

2. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Forum Resident Thread Starter

Perhaps the bass drivers need a bit of playing time to loosen up.

3. carbonti

carbonti Forum Resident

Would any of you who has bought the reissue L100 with the floor stands measure the height of the speaker with the stand? The speaker itself is 25”. How high on the stands?

I want to buy a pair for the living room sized as you’d expect to find in a NYC apartment. So yeah, these speakers are overkill - I was gonna buy KEF LS50 so these JBLs are a completely different animal. Fuhgeddaboud runnin’ these at high volume, that kind of thing is not in keeping with the genteel decorum I wish to maintain with my neighbors. So I hope they image and work well at low to moderate volume. These will be driven by a vintage Marantz 2325 receiver.

As for the really important part, I’ll get them with orange grills.

recstar24 and displayname like this.
  4. Fruff76

Mine did loosen up after a few weeks. The ba
    i’ll check when I get home, but they’re not very tall. Maybe 8” if I’m thinking correctly.

5. carbonti

carbonti Forum Resident

Thanks. This tidbit of data re: L100 height w/stands is for WAF purposes. I am painfully aware that looks count for a lot and there's agreement in this household that the L100s do indeed look very retro-cool. Unlike some speakers which could never make its way outta being hidden away in my listening/man-cave room in the basement of a suburban home as from before.

6. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

I'd like to hear a pair and compare to my Revel's. Not sure if they will be better.

7. Fruff76

They have a high WAF if your wife is cool. Thankfully my wife gets it.

8. Tauren04

Tauren04 Well-Known Member

Revels without a doubt will be better than a loudspeaker with recycled old technology with “some” newer modifications. IMHO.

9. These new versions don’t have recycled old technology. Just the casing is original retro. Inside speaker design is all new.

Let’s not start fake rumors.

Eigenvector likes this.
  10. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Revel who?

11. Tauren04

Tauren04 Well-Known Member

Not fake rumor, just my opinion. I heard these at a DEMO with Craig last week. They aren’t worth $4,000 and definitely sound very similar to the old L100s when we A&B’d them. They aren’t in the same league as the serious modern HiFi. Again, this is my opinion and I’m sure others may feel differently.

VinylSoul likes this.
  12. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Forum Resident

I heard these at someone's house recently driven by McIntosh amps. They sounded very good, but I think my Magico S7's sound better and cost much less. JBL is now owned by Harman (which is owned by Samsung) and is trying to re-establish the brand as a true audiophile brand and not the cheap stuff that it was for many years. This is always an up hill battle, but I think they are doing a pretty good job of it. I still have a pair of JBL L88's (my first speakers) from the JBL glory days. They are boxed up and have not been played for about 30 years.

13. Well that is a totally fair comment after listening to them. My point was that they are not recycled old tech; that's all.

14. Fruff76

Just like tubes are recycled old technology.

Jimi Floyd likes this.
  15. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

I’m sure that other folks will have a completely different opinion. I imagine Revel and JBL Synthesis are being designed and tested at the same state of the art facility. I expect them to sound good, I just don’t know if I will like them better.

16. chacha

chacha Forum Resident

Nice!

17. carbonti

carbonti Forum Resident

Went to the Harmon NYC store on Madison Ave this morning for the purpose of hearing the L100. Unlike the presentation in the video posted by Mazzy, the L100s today were not hooked up in the Levinson room but aligned outside that room along a wall with Harmon's other speaker offerings. The electronics driving those speakers - out of sight so who knows? Harmon offered to plug into the headphone jack and played the Stones 'Brown Sugar' off of my iPhone. Music on my iPhone is all 320kB mp3 but it doesn't matter here. L100s and Stones Sticky Fingers, a match made for each other and should be great, right? But with this setup, heck if I know how they sounded at all. $4K in speakers made to sound like a pair of $50 'Colby' boomboxes bought on Canal Street. To say it was a letdown is unfair, I look at it more like a mismatch of purposes and skillsets.

Not Harmon's fault about the setup. There is a lot to be said about what speciality stereo shops know how to do and to demonstrate the way audiophiles know to listen for and the standards they expect. Harmon Madison Ave is a corporate prestige and flagship location and that's what they are rightfully setup to showcase and display for all of Harmon's brands. Not for audiophiles.

Harmon staff were very nice and allowed me to hang out in the Levinson room as long as I wanted and listen to whatever they had on the music server. Revel speakers. Not bad but not breathtaking. In the audiophile audition game, Harmon is clearly outta that league. Catch a audition with a good setup for Wilson speakers at Lyric HiFi - now that's breathtaking. Catch almost anything Jeff Catalano would throw together at High Water Sound - now that's breathtaking.

Still interested in buying L100s. But even having heard them, I really didn't hear a thing. So it feels like I gotta take a flyer on 'em and hope they work out. That's a little unsettling but then again, it won't be the first time I've done it.