JBL is reissuing the classic L100 speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Monsieur Gadbois, Aug 14, 2018.

1. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Some are. Not all. The 4319 is clearly labeled ‘MADE IN USA’ on the rear. Others like the 4367 are labeled ‘MADE IN MEXICO’.

John D. likes this.
  2. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

What would be the difference with the same priced 4319?

3. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

You mean JBL inspired, right?
    What drivers are used? Some Chinese diy kit or what?
    Grilles are an option but can't find any photos.

4. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

As a baby boomer, I would consider these a "nice to have " item. A friend had these back in the day. They sounded just fine, but I was not overly impressed.

apesfan likes this.
  5. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I am amazed at how much these cool, old campers are selling for now. I had a blast in mine, so I see the value, I just don't have that kind of money to buy one. I'd also be afraid to drive one now on the interstate system in the US. You'd have to take back roads everywhere to keep up with the speed of traffic today. The old camper would reach a top speed of maybe 60 mph, maybe. It had to be unloaded or nearly so and even a bit of a down hill grade to do that. Up hill, it would maybe reach 50 - 55 mph. I used to drive it basically with the gas pedal to the floor board constantly in anything beyond 2nd gear. It had incredible torque in 1st gear, I mean it'd climb a wall if you had good tires on it, but you shifted out of that immediately as it began rolling, like 2 mph. I used to either just bump it in 1st and then go to 2nd, or if I was on a hill, I'd just place it in neutral and as soon as it started to roll, I'd start out in 2nd. You were in the 4th and final gear at 30 - 35 mph and it just lost power after that, being dependent as much on inertia and grade at that point as on power from the tranny.

Still, the things that old metal can saw... :)
    -Bill

6. carbonti

carbonti Forum Resident

Don’t know if the reissues have had their sound signature/timbre updated from the coloration of the L-100s of yore. Which is a way of getting at:

a) Nice to own from the view of nostalgia if they sound like the 1970s again
    b) NOT nice to own from the point of view as a modern day audiophile if JBL has not updated the sound

I couldn’t have speakers like this when they first came out - way too expensive. But now I can buy stuff like this and I’d really like to own a pair. The iconic grill makes for a stylish interior design piece - vintage vibe. But I guess what I just described is exactly why JBL is making the reissue. My goodness me, Gibson has been making & selling reissue Historic Les Paul ‘Bursts for top dollar for decades now. There’s a Whole Lotta Love for what once was.

ronm, displayname and clhboa like this.
  7. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Seems awful big to be calling it a bookshelf speaker.

8. Watch the video; they have been totally redesigned

9. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

this! really wonder the difference between the new l100 and the 4312. same drivers...

10. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Watch the video. Tim Gladwin claims all three speaker components have been tweaked from the 4312SE version. The magnet for the tweeter has been changed from neodymium to Ferrite with Ferro Fluid cooling. The port tube has been changed to a flared port tube and the cabinet has been retuned. The crossover has been updated with air-core and Iron-core components. The outside has been changed from flat black to walnut. Lots of differences.

murphythecat likes this.
  11. Brian308GTS

Brian308GTS Forum Resident

I agree. I shall stick with my PS Stratus Goldi's I bought used...

12. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I wonder what those differences will mean in audibility. They both have the same claimed frequency response, a bit bass shy, the 4312 has higher sensitivity and they have a different woofer than the L-100, which probably has much to do with the different crossover points. In the 4312 the woofer crosses over at 2000, pretty high, while the L-100 crosses at 450.

13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Yes missed that error. Some people have commented on them on forums after hearing at the NW audio show. Very positive about the sound. Have no idea about source of drivers. At least they are UK produced unlike JBL Chinese made product (drivers made in China as well?). BTW this is a true cottage industry operation out of a garage I believe.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  14. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Always loved the retro goodness of those covers.

15. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I'm sure an exhibitor was using these at the Bristol show in february. Sounded good if rather different than most. I assumed they were minty old JBL product. Quite a bit smaller than the L100 I think.

displayname and unclefred like this.
  17. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Not really trusting that 2000hz figure, a misprint I suppose, I checked Music Direct which states the 4312 woofer xo is actually at 640. Too late to edit my post, hat makes more sense, not really a dramatic difference between them.

18. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

In the video of Dead Can Dance, towards the end, did they say the cabinet is not made of real wood?

19. Artdob

Artdob Forum Resident

For those of us with vintage L100s, anyone know if there is a way to have some of the new improvements retrofitted on our original speakers? Would this be recommended or better to keep vintage? Mine are from the late 1970s - have never recapped them and wondering if at minimum I should do that? They still sound good to me though.

20. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Local farmer had a Lil' Gem in back of his barn, offered a few 100 for it- some new paint and bearings/wiring she was good to go. Had it for about ten years and made a nice little profit off it.
    Small enough most cars can pull it, might be where the draw is. Low maintenance. Worked great for the 2007 Mountain Rock Festival in Farwell :laugh:
    [​IMG]

Bananas&blow, Manimal, clhboa and 2 others like this.
  21. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

I really want an Orange Pair...

displayname likes this.
  22. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I watched the demo video posted above and have never heard of Dead Can Dance, but it seemed like a pretty lame song for a demo. I kept waiting and fast forwarding for a good rocking groove to kick in but it never happened!

23. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

Same.. that was a disappointing song choice, at least as far as the video went. Maybe it sounded better in the room.. I still want a pair.

bruce2 likes this.
  24. cdgenarian

cdgenarian Forum Resident

What material is used to make the woofer? Paper?

25. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

There are a number of crossover mods that supposedly flatten out the 5k hump and neaten up things in general. Some are adaptable to the existing X-over, some are completely new designs. A google search should grab you a fair choice of approaches.