JBL is reissuing the classic L100 speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Monsieur Gadbois, Aug 14, 2018.

1. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I hadn't heard it either, but it caught my ear. I listened to the song in full on some headphones. The video obviously can't do much for you, but that song is a great selection for a demo track. Deep base notes, lots of acoustic and electric instrumentation, spoken word, male and female vocals, solo, duet and group vocal sections, sounds from nature mixed in, reverb all over the place, lots of elements for testing imaging. It might not be the most fun or bumping song in the world, but that would be a great test of system. I bet a solid pressing on a great system would make that song a really immersive experience.

These would be a great buy for this price, but you need room. I have the 580s, and I think they are great when you can get them on sale. I think they get beat out when they are selling at their full price point, but when you catch these on sale they really stand out, especially because the sales are steep. For anyone unfamiliar these used to be the only product that crossed over from the consumer (big box) lines to the Synthesis line. Adding to the general L100 discussion, I haven't heard them so I can't speak for them. But I can tell you that JBL has a decent offering at virtually every price point with these new vintage lines. It's hard to get a chance to hear them in person, but if you want JBL they have something from $100 to $90K. It's become a really big range of products.

unclefred likes this.
  2. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

My sister had a pair, my brother had a pair, many friends had them but I never warmed up to them.
    But hey, they might grow on me in the "improved" version.

3. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

I don't know if their price point is unreasonable, or not. It depends on how they sound. I'm guessing they will be a modern take on things. I wonder how they fare against Revel. I just think it is going to be hard for dealers to push the JBL name, regardless of website address name. They went backwards a long time ago.

Manimal, timind and Dennis0675 like this.
  4. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

Dennis0675 likes this.
  5. Davey

Davey NP: Bruce Brubaker ~ Eno Piano (2023)

Yea, Spiritchaser is kind of an audiophile classic album, not the best Dead Can Dance album, for most fans those came in the late 80s, but still a lot of fun from a sonic viewpoint. I think J Scull referenced it in some of his Stereophile reviews too. I always liked the one before it a lot more, Into the Labyrinth, which also got a lot of audiophile notoriety.

Never much of a JBL fan, or fan of the orange speaker foam either, but there are some really great sounding vintage speakers that I wouldn't mind seeing revisited.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    displayname likes this.
  6. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

No, Tannoy speakers are dual concentric, which is similar to coaxial but with better time alignment.

7. Mitsuman

Mitsuman Diamond Tone Junkie

That wasn't my question. I'm familiar with coax designs e.g. Altec 602a's, etc. The cone shaped part shown in the previous post looks exactly like a whizzer cone. And "dual concentric" might be a nice marketing description, but it's redundant. Concentric by definition implies that there are at least two circles sharing the same centerpoint, with differing diameters.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  8. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

For us UK buyers the cost of shipping the JBL's would be about the same as the exchange rate difference between £ and $..But yes the Tannoys would be more expensive for non-UK customers.

Jtycho likes this.
  9. contium

contium Forum Resident

I would be interested as I want a big 3-way speaker but I was done with JBL after they shut down the Northridge facility and canned their top designers.

Shawn likes this.
  10. They are just rolling out now. If they sound good then they will sell. If not then they won’t.

Although lots of folks liked the sound of the originals and they very well and these new version apparently sound better with the changes made.

But we shall see.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  11. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I want a pair of these speakers for the same reason I want a Camero; It's something that was an object of desire when I was a teenager in the 1970's which I couldn't afford. Now that I can afford either. I rented a Camero a few years ago from Hertz while on vacation and wasn't impressed. That cured me of my obsession (sort of - I still like the way they look).

I'm guessing the speakers I already own will sound as good or better than those JBL's. But I still would like to have a pair.

grx8, clhboa, SteelyNJ and 1 other person like this.
  12. Davey

Davey NP: Bruce Brubaker ~ Eno Piano (2023)

Yea, if you could just rent a pair for a few days ...

gillcup likes this.
  13. Artdob

Artdob Forum Resident

So looking at the Jantzen upgrade, my next issue is finding someone to do the installation. Found one JBL service shop near me, but apparently they won't do any service using after market parts. Any recommendations of a an outfit that could do this service in the Southern California area (LA/Ventura county)?

14. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I had a pair in 74, I am really considering this but then I'll want to do a complete overhaul.
    4K is the MSRP, will some retailers go below it like other products?

15. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I worked at a stereo store in 74 that sold JBL and the L100 speakers sold themselves.

keitha0000 and clhboa like this.
  16. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

All depends on how well they sell.

YpsiGypsy likes this.
  17. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

It would be sweet if Music Direct immediately knocked the price down 50% like they did with the Wharfedale Dentons!

Wally Swift, clhboa and YpsiGypsy like this.
  18. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

How in the world have people never heard of Dead Can Dance? Get out of your Foghat rut. Only releasing albums for like 35 years now.

19. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

It really seems to me like JBL is bringing back the L112... and calling it the Classic L100... I could be wrong; but, if not, it's fine by me. My L112's don't have the snazzy grill nor were they in the Maxell add. The improvements they're bringing to the table for the Classic L100 are eerily reminiscent of what I read in my L112 specifications.

20. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

Would be neat if they brought back the L36 while they're at it. Meanwhile this guy did a great job.

[​IMG]

Jtycho likes this.
  21. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

Serious music lover for all of my life (I am almost 67) and I never head of them either.

Just listened to some of their songs, not something that I would spend money on.

22. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I didn’t realize they were so unknown. They were one of the anchor bands for the mighty 4AD label along with bands like Cocteau Twins, Pixies, The Breeders and Bauhaus. Lisa is the voice on many soundtracks, even Gladiator. I’ve read them namedropped in hi-fi mags as recommended audiophile albums and demo material for decades now. Not sure how bands like this slip through the cracks. They’re also a band where sampling whatever pops up in YouTube or whatever for a few minutes will not truly reveal the depth of their impeccably recorded music.

23. timind

timind phorum rezident

Get a copy of Into The Labyrinth for cheap on ebay or Discogs. For me, the track titled The Carnival Is Over is worth the price. I'll admit there are one or two tracks you may not enjoy, but what a fantastic demo disc. You can thank me later.

Manimal likes this.
  24. Moko

Moko Forum Resident

Artdob likes this.
  25. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I have been putting together a new system in my head for a while and these new L100 has me thinking about it again.
    Here's what I came up with that I might be able to fit into my budget.

$4000.00 JBL L100 Classic (pair)
    $2199.00 Marantz SR7012-AV Receiver
    $1699.99 Technics SL-1210GR Turntable
    $1499.00 Onkyo C-7000R CD Player

Under 10k and I think they would be compatible.

Mazzy likes this.