Jeez, I'm sick of those Comcast commercials

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by guy incognito, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member Thread Starter

You know the ones I mean? With the people walking through the animated town and singing in quasi-hipster monotone a la Kimya Dawson in Juno?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGflGJ8nuW8

They run the damn things all the time here. I hate 'em!!! :realmad:

2. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Those commercials cinched it for me: DIRECTV forever.
    Annoying just scratches the surface.

3. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

I am fortunate enough to not have seen Juno!

The problem with those commercials is that they just start. There's no notice, visual or otherwise, and you can't get to the mute button before 3 or more lines of drivel have entered and permeated your living space.

4. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I thought you were talking about the "slowskies" or whatever they're called. Those stupid animated turtles. Or maybe that god-awful super-rabbit thing. Or maybe that stupid one where there's some guy on an exercise machine talking to the guy installing his cable? Or is that a dish company's ad?

Ok. So we know they're not spending any money in the marketing department. Their consumer ratings are consistently in the toilet as far as customer service goes, so they're probably not spending much on customer service representatives or training. Where in the hell is all the money going they're raking in for the outrageous fees they charge?

I have been done with satellite and cable since 2006, and other than missing some sporting events along the way, I've been very happy not to be paying $50-75 a month for low-quality reception and packages that always seem to lack one or two channels I'd really want, but instead offer 60 or 70 channels I don't want. It's free, OTA broadcasts, DVDs, or fresh air for me! :)

Craig(VC).

5. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

All we get around these Husky parts is Jim Calhoun, thanks to my man Jerry!! :righton:

6. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

7. reapers

reapers Forum Resident

I've never understood the need for cable commercials on cable channels anyway. If I've got cable, I don't need to see it. If I don't, then I'm not seeing it anyway (unless I'm at a buddy's house or at the airport?).

Your cables dollars at work: at my house, every couple of years or so I need a new line run to my house. Apparently squirrels eat away the cable up on the pole and the picture goes to hell. So a guy comes out to drop a new line, and says someone will be by in a week or so to bury it. EVERY SINGLE TIME, no one shows up and I have to make repeat calls to get it buried. A couple of times they've explained, "Oh yeah, we had some contractors in the area who were collecting the money but not burying the cable".

8. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Every week in the mail I get a "last-chance" offer from Comcast.

9. A.G. Pennypacker

A.G. Pennypacker Forum Resident

I almost started a thread on these myself. They make me want to throw the TV through the window.

10. Lord Hawthorne

There's an even more annoying commercial on the radio, it's been airing for several years. Some guy (probably with a pipe in his mouth) is gushing about his ducky awnings, while his wife keeps nagging in the background "tell him about the discount Harry!".

11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

"Tell him about the discount, Harry!"

A staple of low-rent advertising for some time. I think every small-potatoes ad agency has this gimmick in their bag of client pitches. I've aired a version of that idea in the past month.

12. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Me neither. Just the cover on the disk turned me off. And pregnant chicks aren't interesting to me anyway.

13. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

I was going to start exactly the same thread. Those ads are driving me nuts. Thankfully I have a remote with a 'mute' button. Ack!

14. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Not only has comcast been the worst customer experience I ever had over and over, now after a year since I left them for Uverse, I get a collections letter saying I owe them $70 bucks! I call Comcast to ask why I owe this? they cant tell me, I just owe it. Its in collections, and I dont want it to eff up my credit, but they've kicked me in the junk over and over, and on principal, I aint paying this if they cant tell me why.

Its Comcastic!

15. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Thanks Mark!

A guess you guys on the forum aren't the demographic they're shooting for, eh? :)

16. alugjk

alugjk Senior Member

The only thing worse than those Comcast commercials is Comcast customer service!
    -George

17. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

I'm fortunate enough to have stopped watching television about 12 years ago. :)

18. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

I wonder if I would hate the commercials so much if I didn't hate Comcast so much.

19. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Yet you felt compelled to read a thread about Comcast commercials.

20. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

I've been a Comcast customer for eight years and I, too, get those "last chance" mailings on a weekly basis. :rolleyes:

I realize they're a mass mailing and that probably everyone in my ZIP code gets them, but it still annoys the stink out of me. :realmad:

21. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Nearly a decade of being free of Comcast. I switched to over-the-air free television - and considering what's mostly ON TV, free is almost too much! I scratch my head in amazement at what people pay this company!

Harry

22. Lord Hawthorne

Now I know why you smell so good.

23. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

Then there's the price on their "high-speed" internet service. They've tiered it here. What used to be one service is now somehow available at faster speeds to those who will pay more. I can't figure how they can do that unless they are actually impeding flow to those who won't give up the extra cash.

One thing for certain, don't rely on their email as your primary address. They flipped all of Houston from RoadRunner to Comcast email and destroyed our RoadRunner identities in the bargain. A-holes!!

Apologies for the threadcrap, but I think most of us are trying to block out those commercials from conscious memory. Just chant 5, 5 dollar, 5 dollar footlongs 'til the other idiocy leaves your brain.

24. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

That is why I opened up a gmail account...for the day when I can get Uverse and tell Comcast to take a hike!

25. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Should Comcast stop blocking all the pay channels that you don't pay for too? You know, it's business. Comcast has to compete in the marketplace (which means you have a choice to buy their services or not) and that's what's going to determine the rates.

I wish I had the same kind of options for the electric company that has a monopoly. And the ironic thing is that cable and the electric companies are regulated by the public utilities board in CT, but the electric companies are allowed to have a monopoly and raise rates at will, whereas cable companies are held to much stricter standards. I can do without cable (theoretically!), but I can't live without electricity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.