Jeff Beck: Album by Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PacificOceanBlue, Jun 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member Thread Starter

I searched the archives and couldn't locate an "album by album" thread for Jeff Beck, so I figured this might be a good time to start one. If there was one that I missed, my apologies. That said, with the recent news that Beck is having his 1970 Motown recordings mixed, I thought it was a good time to revisit his catalogue.

Truth (1968)
    Beck-Ola (1969)
    Rough & Ready (1971)
    The Jeff Beck Group (1972)
    Beck Bogert Appice (1973)
    Beck Bogert Appice - Live In Japan (1973)
    Blow By Blow (1975)
    Wired (1976)
    With The Jan Hammer Group - Live (1977)
    There And Back (1980)
    Flash (1985)
    Guitar Shop (1989)
    Beckology (1991)
    Frankie's House (1992)
    Crazy Legs (1993)
    Best Of Beck (1995)
    Who Else! (1999)
    You Had It Coming (2001)
    Jeff (2003)
    Live At BB Kings Blues Club (2005)
    Official Bootleg USA '06 (2006)
    Live At Ronnie Scotts (2008)
    Emotion & Commotion (2010)
    Live And Exclusive From The Grammy Museum (2010)
    Rock & Roll Party: Honoring Les Paul (2011)

Album #1:

TRUTH
    Released: August 1968
    [​IMG]

Tracklisting:
    1) Shapes Of Things
    2) Let Me Love You
    3) Morning Dew
    4) You Shook Me
    5) Ol' Man River
    6) Greensleeves
    7) Rock My Plimsoul
    8) Beck's Bolero
    9) Blues Deluxe
    10) I Ain't Superstitious

Expanded Edition bonus tracks:
    I've Been Drinking (stereo mix)
    You Shook Me (take 1)
    Rock My Plimsoul (stereo mix)
    Beck's Bolero (mono single mix)
    Blues Deluxe (take 1)
    Tallyman (single)
    Love Is Blue (single)
    Hi Ho Silver Lining (single)

Allmusic Guide's review:
    Despite being the premiere of heavy metal, Jeff Beck's Truth has never quite carried its reputation the way the early albums by Led Zeppelin did, or even Cream's two most popular LPs, mostly as a result of the erratic nature of the guitarist's subsequent work. Time has muted some of its daring, radical nature, elements of which were appropriated by practically every metal band (and most arena rock bands) that followed. Truth was almost as groundbreaking and influential a record as the first Beatles, Rolling Stones, or Who albums. Its attributes weren't all new -- Cream and Jimi Hendrix had been moving in similar directions -- but the combination was: the wailing, heart-stoppingly dramatic vocalizing by Rod Stewart, the thunderous rhythm section of Ron Wood's bass and Mickey Waller's drums, and Beck's blistering lead guitar, which sounds like his amp is turned up to 13 and ready to short out. Beck opens the proceedings in a strikingly bold manner, using his old Yardbirds hit "Shapes of Things" as a jumping-off point, deliberately rebuilding the song from the ground up so it sounds closer to Howlin' Wolf. There are lots of unexpected moments on this record: a bone-pounding version of Willie Dixon's "You Shook Me"; a version of Jerome Kern's "Ol' Man River" done as a slow electric blues; a brief plunge into folk territory with a solo acoustic guitar version of "Greensleeves" (which was intended as filler but audiences loved); the progressive blues of "Beck's Bolero"; the extended live "Blues Deluxe"; and "I Ain't Superstitious," a blazing reworking of another Willie Dixon song. It was a triumph -- a number 15 album in America, astoundingly good for a band that had been utterly unknown in the U.S. just six months earlier -- and a very improbable success.

My thoughts:

The album is a pioneering fusion of rock & roll and heavy blues. Beck laid down some of the dirtiest, nastiest guitar licks to date on a rock album. The album is somewhat ragged and under-produced, but it is that same raw nature that gives it attitude and identity. Beck is stunning throughout with layers of exciting guitar passages, but the real star of this album may very well be Rod Stewart. His vocals are truly stunning throughout the proceedings. This album and band gave him a platform to really develop his craft and he goes from delicate vocal subtleties, dirty blues, and ferocious rock delivery with complete ease.

The band would be finished less than 24 months after this release. This is one band that often falls into the conversation of “what if” and often its ending is viewed as being premature; but really, fans are probably fortunate to have 2 albums of material to listen to. It was a somewhat disjointed, unconventional grouping from the start. Beck was part of Mickie Most and Peter Grant’s operation – he was the only one directly under their management. Rod Stewart was never actually contracted with them, and was somewhat of an independent contractor of sorts. The bottom line is that it was not a traditional band in the sense that 4 or 5 guys were working under the direction of a management team, pushing them or opening doors to allow for greatness. Grant did help break the band in the U.S., but there was little camaraderie between the band members (although Rod and Ronnie Wood developed a bond). The money was not evenly distributed, the egos were clashing, and there were disagreements about what the musical direction should be. But regardless of the inner-turmoil and issues, the band did lay down some potent rock & roll and blues and left behind a pioneering legacy. Truth is one of those special albums, and the ultimate album for Jeff Beck to have started his career outside the confines of The Yardbirds.

alchemy, Dan Steele and BLUESJAZZMAN like this.
  2. old school

old school Senior Member

Truth is a great album it is unforunate for Jeff that Led Zeppelin came out five months after and stole it's thunder!

ruben lopez and bluemooze like this.
  3. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Much prefer the original JB Group to LZ. I mean, the singer is better, the guitar player is better. Material is a about equal (heave emphasis on re-written/arranged blues songs). Very cheecky of Page to "steal" the arrangement You Shook Me. The production of Truth is not highly praised...never bothered me though!

BLUESJAZZMAN and Hazuki like this.
  4. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

A great little album and the blueprint for Zep. "Rock My Plimsoul" just floors me every time.
    This group should have been colossal (they were musically).

Hazuki and MrBigShow like this.
  5. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Never compared this album to Zeppelin's first. Zeppelin was more of a "band", Jeff Beck has never seemed close to those he worked with.
    Great music, and playing. - Could do without the fake audience in Blues Deluxe though...

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  6. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

It's removed on the alternative take on the reissue.

A great album, and the best thing Rod Stewart ever did.

BDC and SyrinxTemple like this.
  7. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

"Truth" Is one of the great examples of late 60's hard rock, no LP was like it. It became the blueprint for many wannabes. The band live was stunning. A terrible stereo recording made by the performances and songs it's not one of Mickey Most best. The mono version which I now prefer has a whole other view point.

Today I wish Jeff Beck would play a Les Paul a little more often.

Hazuki, MrBigShow and rangerjohn like this.
  8. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

As a novice guitarist, this was one of the records that influenced my early playing, and Rod was one of my favorite vocolists at the time. I know that given the egos, Rod and Jeff would not have lasted long, but it doesn't keep one from wistfully wondering, "what if they'd gotten along better".

bxbluesman and Clanceman like this.
  9. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Its impossible not to compare the Jeff Beck group with Led Zeppelin. Jeff and Jimmy must have had many conversations around the concept of a great band and both came up with the same idea. Jimmy had the upper hand in being a great songwriter/song thief. Still, I rate Truth above Led Zep I, but you can only go too far in rock without original compositions. Eventually, Zep left the Jeff Beck group in the dust.

This is one of the greatest guitar albums of all time. Rod is on fire too.

4.5/5

johnnyyen and gd0 like this.
  10. rcspkramp

rcspkramp Forum Resident

I love Jeff Beck's music. My all-time favorites are Truth, Blow By Blow and Live At Ronnie Scott's.

11. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Unsung highlight of the album: "Let Me Love You." The call/response of Jeff and Rod is amazing.

The only track where I prefer the stereo mix. Generally the mono mix blows the stereo one away.

12. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Do you have the 'Ronnie Scott's' on DVD ? Despite having a lossy sound, the overall quality of sound is better than the cd. I have this, Live at BBKings, and the first 10 years of Jeff's music. A couple of 'semi' overlooked albums that I think are GREAT...are Rough and Ready and the 'Orange' album. Really nice sound on those too.

Even with previous output ala The Yardbirds....Truth is one of the best debut's of any artist IMO. That and the commonly circulated quasi bootleg of the Fillmore West from July of 1968. :)

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/jeff-beck-group/concerts/fillmore-west-july-24-1968.html

13. Rapid Fire

Rapid Fire Hyperactive!

Supurb album. I own the 2000 CD remaster of this and Beck-Ola. These 2 albums by Beck with Rod Stewart are classics.

14. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I love this album. The production is a bit ragged but it works. Love Mick Wallers drumming, one the great underrated drummers IMHO. Wished this band could have stayed together longer but who knows what the result would have been.

Classicolin and Hazuki like this.
  15. PacificOceanBlue

I think the 2006 reissue was well-done in a few ways. I know some fans have an issue with the sound; I think it has more clarity than ever before on CD. It would have been a neat opportunity to include the mono version of the album, but the bonus material included still is quite substantive and relevant. There is a lot of history behind how Truth ultimately came to be and by including some of the related singles, it offers material for one to build a mini-timeline. The singles Hi Ho Silver Lining, Love Is Blue, and Tally Man are importing inclusions because listeners can really get a sense of the battle between Mickie Most trying to sell Jeff Beck as a pop star and Jeff Beck's desire to follow his own artistic muse. Additionally, the mono single mix of Bolero is a great inclusion because it was somewhat rare on CD and is a definitive version - and really the beginning of the Jeff Beck Group. Overall, I think the expanded reissue of Truth is well done, but I do think it could have been made into a 2 disc set with the mono mix of the album, plus supporting BBC live tracks. Which then begs the question, did any of the original Jeff Beck Group's BBC recordings survive, or is all that is left the booted versions? There is also a Fillmore West live tape that Beck has acknowledged he has - it may very well be the well known 5-song booted cycle, but again, something live from this incredible band would have been an essential inclusion.

16. PacificOceanBlue

Agreed. Rod in particular is sensational on that track.

17. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I'm in.

When this was released, it seemed liked The Ultimate Statement. There was nothing else this aggressive and artful at the time. Yes, Zep I did trump it, but who cares. Beck would go on to greater artistic heights, while Page did well enough with Zep. Plenty of room for both.

There is no shoulda-coulda-woulda for this album. It's got an appropriate reputation. Maybe not a zillion-seller, but an on-target opener for Beck's solo career. Not to mention a respectable launching pad for Stewart and Wood. Most importantly, the music still holds up 40+ years later.

He doesn't need to be; he's Jeff Beck. That band-of-brothers thing is a nice human-touch add-on for a music group, but what really counts is the notes and chords that are presented. And Beck has brought those in spades – for decades. And the topnotch sidemen – Hammer, Bozzio, Batten, Coliauta, Middleton, Wilkenfeld, Walden, I could go on and on – are happy to be there, even if it's temporary.

It's much better for Beck to have a revolving cast of characters; keeps him fresh.

18. old school

old school Senior Member

I don't agree as I said Truth is a great album I bought it when it came out the opinion then was what a heavy blues album. But when LZ came out shortly after there was no comparison LZ was much more heavy and there version of You Shook Me Was far more heavy! As far as singers and drummers I will go with Plant and Bonham much better in my opinon! Page played the tapes for Beck before LZ was released and Beck said it sounds so heavy! How did Page steal the arranement to You Shook Me?

bluemooze likes this.
  19. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

He is the best, still. Wish he took more interest in releasing some of the things he has done.
    Maybe when he needs a rest (or some money...)

20. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Love this album. Has to be one of the most influential guitar albums of all time but it was more than that too. A very talented band here with diverse material.
    Ronnie Wood lays down nice fat bass lines that allows Jeff to blow us away with tone and inventiveness.
    I still love this version of Morning Dew and as a young fan was always blown away by the heavy bloozy wah of Ain't Superstitious.

My late 70s stereo Epic pressing still sounds good but the mono Sundazed vinyl is a great slab too.

21. PacificOceanBlue

Zeppelin made the better record. Even if Truth laid the blueprint, Zeppelin I surpassed it. But this really isn't about comparing the raw, ragged, dirty nature of Truth to the fully-conceived, better produced, powerful nature of Zeppelin I. Clearly comparisons will be made because the vision of creating a Rock & Roll/Heavy Blues hybrid was shared by the two leaders of the respective bands, and both came out within a year of each other. One cannot rewrite history here. Zeppelin I launched the career of one of the world's all-time biggest bands, and Truth was left behind. In essence, even with similarities and coincidence, these are two different albums.

And all that being said, Truth maintained its legendary, pioneering status during all the subsequent decades in the minds of music enthusiasts and historians. It is a very important record and still dazzling 45 years later. Nothing was ever made like it before or after.

22. old school

old school Senior Member

You are very gracious sir and 100% correct thank you!

Tensilversaxes likes this.
  23. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

To further analyze how the Jeff Beck Group and Led Zep were viewed at the time (1968-69), check out these original album reviews from Rolling Stone mag:

Truth (written by Al Kooper!!): http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/truth-19680928
    "... However, this album is a classic, much the way the Clapton-Mayall album is. TRUTH is probably the current equivalent of that album"

Led Zep I: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/led-zeppelin-i-19690315
    "... The latest of the British blues groups so conceived offers little that its twin, the Jeff Beck Group, didn't say as well or better three months ago, and the excesses of the Beck group's Truth album (most notably its self-indulgence and restrictedness), are fully in evidence on Led Zeppelin's debut album."

At the time (and for most of the 1970s), the critics never warmed up to Zep, so take it all with a grain of salt. But it's always interesting to read first-hand reviews. Arnie

24. visualj

visualj Well-Known Member

Great list. Not sure how it counts, but I think you missed a promo disc called 'Everything you want to know about Jeff Beck...'

Great album. One of those albums you kind of forget how good it is until you drop the needle. I don't think it is as cohesive as some of his later releases, but every song has a drive of it's own.

It just went on my list to play tonight... thank you

Tensilversaxes likes this.
  25. rcspkramp

rcspkramp Forum Resident

Love that Ronnie Scott's DVD. I do like the Bob Tench albums as well. Some nice stuff on them.

Tensilversaxes and BLUESJAZZMAN like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.