Jeremy Clarkson sacked from BBC/Top Gear

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rhubarb9999, Mar 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

If a new TV deal is announced within the next two weeks then this has be planned for some time.

eddiel likes this.
  2. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I don't really have much of an opinion on this, however, I do wonder who goes to hospital with a bleeding lip?

3. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Somebody who needs stitches?

Halloween_Jack likes this.
  4. Pete Norman

Pete Norman Forum Resident

Good! Clarkson is an utterly repellant human being...

5. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Just heard the rumour that Netflix is a serious contestant to take over the programme (including the producer and the two co-presenters).

6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

No doesn't really work that way. If you do something like he did, there should be no surprise when you're dismissed. This was a serious incident and any non-famous employee would've been sacked even quicker. If the BBC had not dismissed him, there would definitely be grounds for the producer to take the BBC to an employment tribunal as well. They made the right decision.

Clarkson likely feels like an ass right now and he knows he threw away a good gig. I think he loved the show and although I'm sure he'll find other work and still be successful, I don't think it will ever mean as much to him as Top Gear did. That's just my opinion of course.

7. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Plus a punch in the mouth needs to be checked as it can actually lead to dead teeth quite easily.

Also the injury is properly logged and noted...for later use.

zobalob, Dudley Morris, Dan C and 2 others like this.
  8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

BBC owns Top Gear outright so whatever they do at Netflix it won't be Top Gear. But Netflix has denied the rumours, according to deadline.com

9. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Yeah Clarkson sold them back to the BBC some years ago for a small fortune.

10. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Hmm now might be the time to start looking if you can bag the URLs for the likely new show name.

Top Power...BHP...Smokin Tyres...Low Gear...SpeedBumps

11. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

The big issue for the BBC is that it has to act on it. They have been criticised for that fact they knowingly let certain known TV individuals to run rampant through Broadcasting house physically and sexually abusing men, women and children for decades.

I'm amazed he wasn't sacked within 72 hours of them knowing. It makes the BBC look bad still as it seems through dithering they were more concerned over the loss of revenue.

12. Rambler

Rambler Active Member

BBC should sign Gervais, Pilkington and Merchant as hosts, I doubt any manufacturer would lend them cars though :)

zobalob, Dubmart and Yovra like this.
  13. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I don't know what really happened but it is inexcusable to punch a coworker. I suspect there is more to this story than a cold meal or no supper. Mr. Clarkson has to be sanctioned and the firing is appropriate. If there are injuries then there should be criminal charges.

I loved Top Gear and a large part of the appeal was from the chemistry of the presenters. To understand just how important that intangible element is, all you have to do is watch the pathetic American franchise with the characterless insipid team they have selected. The show is unwatchable.

Mr. Clarkson's abrasive, politically incorrect persona was an essential component to that chemistry. I cannot understand the utter contempt for Jeremy Clarkson based on his TV antics and right-wing schtick. I do not really take all that seriously he is a high paid buffoon that is there to entertain us and at the same time give us a little bit of insight into automobiles. In that capacity he was perfect. Too bad he blew it.

14. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Perhaps he can fill in for Gordon Ramsey after all its just a cooking show? isn't it?

sean

15. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

It's worth pointing out that the BBC is not a company. It is a statutory corporation, funded principally by the British public via the annual television licence fee. As such, they are publicly accountable in a way that a regular company, public or private, is not.

Personally, I do not want my money used to pay the wages of scum like Clarkson. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Deesky and sonnyrock like this.
  16. Andy Lee

Andy Lee Active Member

Hammond could move to kids' TV. A couple of years back, Clarkson made a really good documentary on the Arctic Convoys during WWII - but of course he didn't feel the need to play 'Jeremy Clarkson'. What happens when your ego gets in the way, I suppose.

17. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Yep, when I first heard he was sacked, I assumed it was over the eeny-meeny thing, and I was opposed to it. Then I saw it was over a physical assault, and changed my view to, "well, it was a good run while it lasted."

18. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Though technically our license fees haven't been paying him, in fact he's been adding £50million a year to the BBC coffers, so we'll no doubt see cuts to programming because of this.

19. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Ok fair point, I do not know the facts here!

I thought that we were talking about an open handed slap as I thought a punch had been denied and the statement referres to "physical contact". There was also no reference to the chap requiring any stitches? I was/am also assuming the hotel would have organised something if the injury had been serious. I think Clarkson would have resigned if he had hospitalised someone as the outcome would have been the same even if he wasn't on his final warning?

20. D_minor

D_minor Senior Member

Bring back Ben Collins...if he really left in the first place. :)

21. stepeanut

No one individual is bigger than the BBC. They got along fine before Clarkson, they'll get along fine without him.

zobalob likes this.
  22. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I was just pointing out the programme didn't cost any license payer money and will leave a huge hole in BBC finances, unless you believe the BBC line that they can replace Clarkson and maintain it's success, even Yentob and co weren't pushing that one yesterday, they've killed the golden goose, that's for sure.

23. stepeanut

I honestly don't care if the show continues or not, so long as Clarkson is gone from the BBC. I never watched the show through choice, but Clarkson was/is difficult to avoid when flicking channels. Anything that helps his journey back to obscurity is welcomed by me.

24. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The irony in this is that while they wouldn't show the new shows on BBC2 it's been shown everynight on BBC3 and the various Dave channels, it was also very prominent on the BBC Worldwide home page, I suspect you will be unable to escape it for some years, unless the BBC decide to end their hypocrisy and pull it from the other channels they own or have a stake in. No doubt the offers are already coming in and a new show will be launced within months on a different channel. Once he punched the guy his sacking was inevitable, but for things to reach that stage shows a big failure on the part of BBC management, I suspect there is somewhat more to the background than we know.

25. junk

junk Hellion

Exactly. :agree:

goodiesguy and Sneaky Pete like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.