"Jericho" - aww, nuts...!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dillydipper, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite Thread Starter

CBS' Jericho got the axe today. Its' last episode will run March 25th, and it will not be a cliffhanger.

When CBS made a surprising turnaround and renewed it last year, I had already said my goodbyes to this interesting premise. Looks like a lot of casual viewers joined me. I had felt the series was getting development of episodes already mentally-plotted, more as a hedge for the then-looming writers' strike, than anything else. I think they were given that reprieve, but deep down it was never meant to be more than that.

I still have several eps on my DVR to watch, so I won't miss it. Yet.

2. Henry the Horse

Henry the Horse Active Member

What a waste! A great show
    I guess it wasn't moronic enough to stay on the air!

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

They tried to save money by shooting in digital but I guess that wasn't enough. Don't know why it just doesn't go to Sci-Fi or something? Oh, wait, the Sci-Fi network is too busy with Wrestling matches and Ghost hunting reality shows.

4. Henry the Horse

Henry the Horse Active Member

:rant:

5. Dillydipper

Well, the writers strike did slow down their ability to produce, like everybody else...and did they ever really have a draw as big as Battlestar Galactica?
    (For that matter, critical raves aside, just how critical IS BG to their bottom line?)

6. RDK

RDK Active Member

From what I hear, BG is a money-loser for Sci-Fi, and when NBC (to their great credit imo) gave it a network shot the ratings stunk.

Have to give props to CBS for trying, but it's hard to save a show that's on the brink. I thought Jericho was pretty good last year, but this season has been terrific. Wrong place, wrong time, though. It's simply too edgy for CBS and likely too "dark" for network TV in general.

7. You mean you didn't know that Wrestling was science fiction? ;)

Actually Sci-Fi has been showing repeats of the show. I doubt that will be enough to get it picked up by Sci-Fi (which only has one original quality show IMHO--Battlestar Galatica--) but it would be nice if they could work something out.

Then again, they completely botched Sliders which was a middling sci-fi show with a cult following by demanding changes to the show. That wasn't a great show and they still managed to screw that up.

As far as BG being a money loser--the show does well for them worldwide and on DVD (NBC-Universal-Sci Fi all are interconnected) and the ratings are the strongest for any show they've produced plus it's a critical hit. If it was, indeed, as big a money loser as RDK suggests I don't think they'd keep it around--afterall look what they did with Farscape. If it is a money loser for them, I suspect they'll make it up with reruns.

8. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I enjoy Jericho and watch it each week. I'll miss it.

9. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

Ditto!

10. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Maybe they'll replace it with something really unique....like CSI Topeka. :rolleyes:

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

we know it all boils down to money...quality has nothing to do with it...we could name a dozen show that suck and keep getting season after season...

12. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

Or another pathetic "reality" show.:hurlleft:

I think we need a few more of those!

13. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

I just do not get these shows like Ghost Hunters. Its a bunch of people with a green camera saying things like "Something touched me" or "did you hear that? "...a waste and there is so many of them. I guess cheap is the buzz word these days. On the good news side Sci Fi has a new shows created and starring Rosanna Dawson.

14. luckyman

luckyman Forum Resident

This is really sad. I hate to see such a good show go.:shake:

15. theoxrox

theoxrox Forum Resident

I'd like to echo the thoughts of those who will miss this very promising show which was developing nicely this season.

When it first appeared in the 2006-2007 season, I thought it might take after the book "Alas, Babylon" by Pat Frank back in the early 1950s. To a degree, it did, but it made a fine first-season impression on me, and was getting even better this season.

But don't fret, because I'm confident CBS will give us a fresh roll of (IMO) a$$wipe to replace it.....

16. Jontario

Jontario Member

:D :laugh: :agree:

I enjoyed Jericho right from the very first episode, I'm sad to hear the last episode will be tonight.

17. Dillydipper

Yeah, but aren't you glad you were warned?

I honestly don't know what to think about the "2nd Season", since I've only seen 2 so far, but I certainly liked the way they blended the political subtexts with the reality-on-the-ground issues of day-to-day life in the first season.

Seeing a whole new set of characters/challengers shoehorned into the new batch, I'm reminded of SciFi's salvaging of Sliders a few years ago, in which all they kept was the trademark, and dumbed it down from the initial Fox Network version.

18. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

I heard Eureka had a pretty big following.

Back to the subject though - Jericho has been really good this season, in fact better than last season IMHO. There is so much potential for a great ongoing story ( which is what series TV used to be about ). But the sad fact is, that I have learned that most TV worth watching seems to get cancelled before it gets a chance to get off the ground. I try not to get attached to anything on TV anymore because most likely it will be gone in about 8 weeks. At least there is not supposed to be a cliff hanger so we may see some closure on some issues by the final episode.

19. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

FYI, recently aired episodes are available on-line at the network website. I screwed up taping a couple of weeks when the time changed and was able to locate them. :)

20. Dillydipper

Yes, I expect that was a pleasant surprise. Probably not nearly as expensive to produce as BG, I'll bet.

21. RDK

RDK Active Member

More than a bit rushed (understandably) but a decent wrap-up.

22. TimM

TimM Senior Member

Another one of my favorites bites the dust. I refuse to list anymore of my favorites since I am now convinced that the three networks are conspiring against me personally.:)

By the way I put the SCi-Fi channel on the same list as TV Land. When they first began they were two of my favorite cable destinations, but now they can hardly be recognized as the same channels.

23. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

I just saw the finale. I noticed on the TIVO that it said Series Finale as opposed to Season Finale. I am glad that they gave this a conclusion that doesn't leave us hanging in the air. I am going to miss the show, but at the same time I don't feel short changed like I have with other series that have been cancelled with no conclusion.

24. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

We should be so lucky. It will be replaced by another of the many moronic reality shows. Maybe "You're fired Donald Trump" or . . .

25. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I guess one day we'll get the DVD box set hopefully in HD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.