"Jerry Seinfeld:Comedian"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dan C, Jun 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

I rented this DVD over the weekend. It's a blast! If you're not familiar with it, "Comedian" is a documentary that follows Jerry Seinfeld for about a year as he works up an entirely new comedy routine. You also get to watch another struggling stand up Orny Adams struggle to get recognized.

It was pretty amazing seeing the always calm and cool Jerry stumbling through new routines as he tried out his new work-in-progress act in front of late night drunk crowds. Starting all over. We see Jerry nervous as hell behind stage waiting to go on.
    The back stage banter between Jerry and fellow comedians like Colin Quinn is often hilarious.

In the bonus section we get two interviews by Jiminy Glick, really some of the funniest stuff I've ever seen.:thumbsup:

Dan C

2. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

I got this DVD for my birthday in May and finally got around to watching it. I found it fascinating, but not necessarily hilarious. I never realized so much work goes into stand up comedy.

Jay

3. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I have it right now as a Netflix rental.

It is a fascinating look at the world of comedians including Jerry, Colin Quinn, Gary Shandling, Jay Leno, Bill Cosby and Chris Rock.

Highly recommended rental.

4. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

[​IMG]

Another subtext to the movie is the story of Orny Adams seen here on Jerry's right side.
    Man is this kid driven. He wants to be the next Jim Carrey in the worst way. Is he funny? I dunno...he seems to be to forceful to me.

5. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

Yeah, I didn't think Orny was all that funny or clever. His energy is what seemed to make him stand out though.

For me the best part of the film was the road trip Jerry took with a friend. They went to Albuquerque to pick up Jerry's new vintage VW and drove it back to NYC. It was the funniest part of the movie by far. There's more of it in the extras, but I think they should've left it all in.

I also love the scene where Chris Rock is telling Jerry about Bill Cosby's new two-hour routine. The awe and respect they have for the old master is really cool.

Dan C

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.