Jethro Tull 50th anniversary plans

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Sep 3, 2017.

1. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Great news about This Was. Now if they'll just revisit that glaring hole in my Tull box collection known as Thick as a Brick all would be good.

Octowen, Bonddm, footlooseman and 2 others like this.
  2. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

I'd love an Under Wraps box with the Capital Theater concert of DVD.

Bonddm, JamesLord, aoxomoxoa and 2 others like this.
  3. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I’d love that too. Even more if they can fix the drumsound problems on Locomotive Breath avd Hunting Girl. That concert is awesome. Though it is also obvious that we are wittnessing the very last of Ians good singing voice.

Carserguev, lambfan68 and Keith V like this.
  4. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Don’t feel bad. I actually just sold my Thick as a Brick ...the corrected one too.

5. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

The last JT show I saw was '98, till I bit on Ian's rock opera year before last ~ mainly because the setlist contained some real gems. But I missed him, too, and wanted to catch his flute & unique personality one more time. To JAG's point, the audience went nuts for Aqualung (which was blessedly early in the show) while I sat on my hands in Martin's absence and wondered if I should've come at all. I think there's a certain level of classic rock fan that truly loves those hits, but beyond Ian's flute probably doesn't know or care who anyone else is.

As for me...after considering leaving early ~ so dismayed to see Ian's voice assisted by film characters speaking half the lyrics ~ I'm so glad I went. Had to throw previous Tull out the window and just enjoy the mixed media program for what it was, and by intermission I was all in and truly psyched for the second half. Just to hear Ian's flute soloing on the likes of "Back to Family" and "Witches Promise" was worth the admission. And to hear him blowing those notes one more time on "Farm," "Bouree" and, yes, "Locomotive Breath" (after nearly 20 years) did warm my heart. I was filled up as he solo-minstreled us goodnight with "Requiem"...the only Minstrel song I've ever caught live. Had never seen "Jack In the Green," either, which he sang all of. (And which the greater audience didn't seem to know, alas...again to JAG's point.) The new pieces were quite good, too.

Now I'm in the quandary of messing with that rather sweet farewell to chance the 50th show, which is coming to town. Wish Martin would grace Portland with an appearance.

6. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

Yes, that's my glaring hole as well!

bubba-ho-tep, Kiss73 and tinnox like this.
  7. Grassy Sound

Grassy Sound Hopeful yet discontent.

8. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

is that video there to distract you from the vocals?....wow that is not a good performance, very staged no emotion

9. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

10. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Piggybacking this from another thread:
    If the compilation is only two months away, then they have probably already selected the tracks and may begin manufacturing soon if they haven't already. I wonder if it will be all Tull tracks, or if Anderson solo cuts will work their way in as well. (Worst case scenario, recent Anderson live recordings of songs originally issued under the Tull name.)

tootull and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

awesome stuff

12. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Ed Hughes, Runicen and SJB like this.
  13. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Career spanning live set would be awesome for me.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. SJB

It's troubling that the tourbooks announce 50 for 50 and This Was, but no live collection. Has the live set been canceled again? (30 Years Live didn't happen either, and Nightcap was originally conceived as a box set that would have included live material.)

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for the 50 for 50 compilation and This Was, but it would be nice if they'd either confirm or deny the live set instead of letting the rumor float around.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. DreamTull

DreamTull Well-Known Member

2018 is the 50th Anniversary of This Was, not of Tull...that was 2017, wasn't it?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Grassy Sound

No. The band name became “Jethro Tull” in 1968.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

The live compilation was rumoured, but never confirmed. 50 for 50 includes live material (I guess only 1 CD). It seems that either IA or Warners wanted a relatively small set and gathered the inevitably studio best of and live material from different eras in a single set. I only hope that the live material depicts with more depth the 1968-1980 period, I am hoping for some 71, 72 73, 74 and 79 shows, as those tours have not been officially presented on any release.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. SJB

We shall see! I'm not sure any live recordings exist from 1971-74 in a quality that Ian would deem suitable for release. The only remaining high-quality recording that I know of from the early period is Tanglewood, which would be nice but isn't exactly essential, as the Isle of Wight and Carnegie Hall recordings cover the same ground.

As for 1979, I'm hoping for a concert on Stormwatch.

The promotional blurb for 50 for 50 didn't say there would be any unreleased live material. (It didn't rule it out, either, but the same announcement did specifically say that there would be unissued recordings in the This Was remix set.) So I'm setting my expectations on "low" in the hopes that any surprises will be pleasant ones.

Runicen and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. dreambear

dreambear Forum Resident

It seems like they´re going to play Music from "A passion play". Nice!

SJB, geodos and Pete Puma like this.
  20. Grassy Sound

21. SJB

Cool! Nice to see the album getting some attention on the set list, even in an abridged medley form and with Ian's recent habit of singing behind the beat. And I suppose there wasn't a chance in hell that he'd dust off the soprano sax.

22. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

I think that if may is the release date for "50 for 50", there should be some official announcement or leakage soon.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. DreamTull

DreamTull Well-Known Member

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

a passionless Passion Play. Sad to see. The original tour performances were as tight as any show ever!

showtaper, Bonddm and Vaughan like this.
  25. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

who will buy the 3 disc set? the casual fan won't and certainly a real fan already has the music. it isnt in chronological order and some of the songs dont come from the album it claims it comes from. not sure what the point of this release is