Jethro Tull - "A Passion Play" Deluxe Edition Due June 2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jsayers, Mar 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing that incredible interview with us rednoise! Thank you too Lady Jane for taking the time to do the interview and for your candidness too! That was a fun and very interesting interview. I hope more Tull fans will take a few moments to read it.

2. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

3. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Yes, I found the interview with the ballerina lady more interesting than I expected and I expected a lot. I saw the tour
    In Texas. I think it was Fort Worth but it might have been Dallas. My only other experience with live Tull was the previous tour (TAAB), so I was operating at a high level of expectation. The show still blew my young mind. That was what I thought about reading the interview, she and I were the same age except I saw the band one night and she was living with Ian. :laugh:

4. What's great about this interview, among many things, is how it feeds my teen days fantasy of the big production feature film project of "A Passion Play/War Child" (I don't recall the work-in-progress title it had) I kept reading about in the music press of '73/'74... Donald Pleasance as the Devil... Wow!!!

5. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Surprised to get an email today saying my set has shipped! And at only $25 what a deal.

6. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Where did you order from?

7. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Blowitouttahere

8. Jerjo

Jerjo Forum Resident

I'm vacillating on this. I really only want the two CDs because I don't have a 5.1 system. But still...it's tempting to get Chateau D'Isaster in its proper running order.

9. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

I didn't think this was coming out till November. Christmas in July! Woooohooo! Just ordered mine from Amazon. Kinda pricey, but oh well. I missed the TAAB 40th for some reason. Don't want to miss out on this one. Hopefully the new mix will be rid of that damnable alto sax wankery. Oh Ian, as much as I love you, not every idea you have is a brilliant one.
    Buuuuuuut....20 Years sounds like a dog's A! You must really not like Mr. Wilson's choices.

A pox on you! Let me bring you Songs From the Wood! Iron clad feather feet will pound such nonsense to dust. Or maybe you'd like to get blown through the eye of a hurricane? Cherrio.

Carserguev and dougb222 like this.
  10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

You also get both stereo mixes in Hi-Res on the DVDs, plus the videos, etc... :)

11. IA plays soprano and sopranino saxes on aPP.

IIRC, he wrote in the liner notes to "20 Years" that he mixed it so that it would sound good on Shona's (his wife) portable CD player...

quicksrt likes this.
  12. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I've played the cd's from the deluxe. This is my first Steven Wilson remix experience. The APP remix is cool. Only played it once. The Chateau stuff is different. I'm used to the 20 Years and Nightcsp versions with all the overdubs and backwards reverb. The SW is really dry and will take some getting used to. I do like hearing the original intended running order. It does peter out and meander a bit without the overdubs. Will listen again today many more times. The book is cool too.

APP is the best Tull album ever.

13. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

Is there anything missing from the new Chateau that was on Nightcap (aside from the aforementioned overdubs, etc)?

14. Dr. Bogenbroom

Excuse me, soprano and spranino. Thanks for the correction. Doesn't make me like it any more. ;)

I don't remember reading that in the liner notes. I'll have to peruse them again.

15. tootull

APP deluxe - a quick review:

WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL APP in all forms. Phenomenal 5.1
    The Foot Of Our Stairs with 2 extra verses found on the end of the multi-track reel that have been added back in is quite jarring after all these years. ...trying to decipher what's going on with the bomb in his pocket. [​IMG]
    The bonus material on CD is all very natural since the echo that is on Nightcap is gone from the stereo version. The album in 5.1 is phenomenal to say the least. Château d'Hérouville Sessions material in 5.1 is a joy to me, too. Impressive is Steven Wilson's new stereo mix. All sound great including the original mix flat transfer of the album. A WINNER!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  16. Dr. Bogenbroom

I'm gonna have to wear a bib until my copy arrives, you're making me salivate so much. Jerkface. ;)

17. GLYNSTYLER

GLYNSTYLER Forum Resident

Just got an email from BurningShed this morning - my order has been posted!

18. tootull

:shh: :p

Often you leave me speechless. :laugh: so user friendly.

19. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

Arrg, the wait...

AND I haven't even managed to get a corrected TAAB DVD... :shake:

sound chaser likes this.
  20. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

Got mine today. Still haven't played it, but the package & booklet are wonderful. This is how reissues should be done ! How I wish REM's unplugged set had the same treatment...

21. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Maybe this release will be the kicker that gets some folks finally liking the album :)

22. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

Except for the hare interlude, I've always liked this album. The hare's piece is unfortunately too distracting in the middle of the album... IMHO.

dead of night and Carserguev like this.
  23. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

My favorite Tull album. It's next in my purchase list!

24. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

Just ordered... Can't wait. This is my favorite Tull record.

"Flight from lucifer"/"10.08 to paddington" is the high point for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.