Jethro Tull - Aqualung 40th Anniversary Special Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Warchild, May 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I have seen it only once, but if I stumble on another copy I'll be sure to grab it and let you know. :)

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that would be great! Thanks so much for offering such a nice gesture!:righton:

3. kumbbl

kumbbl Member

right. I have the UK CDP 32, the WG Sonopress 610 016-222 and they sound absolutely 100% identicaly.

and - as already mentioned by Plan9 - i too prefer this CD-pressing to the DCC-version. To be honest, the DCC is really good (in some criteria even better, e.g. concerning transparency) but overall i prefer the UK CDP 32-pressing. This is the version to get - maybe it will be topped by the forthcoming deluxe-release but we will see...

The UK CDP 32 has simply more power (without being compressed) and Clive Bunkers drums didn't sound so thin as with other releases...

4. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

5. tootull

Chrysalis 25th anniversary 1994

This 1994 edition of Aqualung includes a 30 page booklet (about Chrysalis) the size of a jewel case, but slightly too large to fit in the jewel case.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

This is the one I bought to replace the 25th Anniversary. It has served me well, but will itself be replaced soon.

7. tootull

While we wait for reports on the Aqualung 40th Anniversary Special Edition. :whistle:
    A friendly reminder: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=6565626&postcount=58
    Jethro Tull 5.1
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=249630

Two of my favourite compact discs. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, interesting sounding Aqualung tracks on compact disc: Quad folds?
    Made in Japan - VK 41078 DIDX 403 The Best Of Jethro Tull "M. U." (MCA Canada)
    Made in England - CCD 1135 Repeat-The Best Of Jethro Tull-Vol.II-Repeat

Not quite Aqualung - From this first compact disc issue of The Best Of Jethro Tull "M. U." I was comparing "Fat Man" and it sounds very close to the MFSL compact disc version.

8. rtsurroundfan

rtsurroundfan Active Member

9. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Tried Googling to find some info on the deluxe edition, to no avail. Hopefully a press announcement will be distributed soon!

10. tootull

11. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

12. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

13. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

$150? I'll have to see what the full package entails, but I think that's too rich for my blood. This trend of super mega deluxe box sets is getting to be a bit much, IMO, particularly in the midst of a recession. When I compare this to the reasonably priced King Crimson reissues, which offer plenty of entertainment value for the buck, it's hard to justify spending so much. I've still got the Smile set to save up for. . .

14. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

The Classic Records 200g pressing is the best Aqualung I own. Has the album been remastered for this release?

15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I agree completely, that's why I love an Amazon pre-order. I've got plenty of time to change my mind, and either cancel, or proceed...meanwhile, not one red cent comes out of my pocket.

Personally, all the money I'm saving on the recent Audio Fidelity gold CDs helps (not one single one interests me, as I already am very happy with the vinyl and CD versions I already have). In fact, right now my only pre-orders are for the Pink Floyd Immersion boxes ($60 cheaper thanks to an early preorder), and now Aqualung. :winkgrin:

16. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

We don't know yet but most probably. Better than that, it has also been remixed!

17. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Bonkers pricing

18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah the Cds in the deluxe package are pretty much worthless:thumbsdn:, as is the lp. I sincerely doubt that the mastering will be as good as the DCC or Classic Record versions. I paid less for my MFSL, DCC and Classic Records (45rpm) lps and my DCC and standard remastered cds all together, than this whole package is costing. We can pretty much be sure the vinyl will be digitally sourced and the CDs will be compressed. I would be interested in the 5.1 DVD and Blu ray separately.

19. tootull

Yes to 5.1 DVD and Blu ray separately.
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=6839185&postcount=317

20. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

All I want is the CD. Have no interest in vinyl, 5.1 on any format, or a blu-ray at all. Some type of interesting booklet would be nice but all I really care about is getting a decent sounding version on CD. Can't afford the price for a box of that nature so am hoping a simple CD release is also coming.

21. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

22. tootull

http://www.cdwow.us/search?q="Jethro+Tull"&sort=release

This note is for you.

Aqualung 40th Anniversary (Standard Edition) - Limited
    by Jethro Tull
    $16.99 Free Shipping
    Released 10/24/11
    Available for Pre-order
    Description
    6 panel gatefold (2xCD+booklet)

23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thanks MYKE & tootull for the heads up on the CD edition.

24. tootull

Virtual tie on the posts. You are welcome. :wave:

25. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

All I care about is the 5.1 - I have the DCC, so unless the 5.1 mix is offered separately or as part of a lower-cost option, I'm out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.