Jethro Tull Aqualung 45 anniversary deluxe soon?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Jan 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I notice that BBC Radio 6 (who are forever repeating their 1980's/90's Classic Album series,) have this week repeated the Aqualung hour long episode. I mention only as this episode isn't usually part of the list of shows they repeat. In fact i've never heard this episode before. Interview with Ian Anderson. If anyone is interested you can hear on the BBC Iplayer here, UK only.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03xq2kn

Waiting for the price to drop on this set too.

TheFatChocobo likes this.
  2. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Thanks for that. Want to copy 3 quads to my ipod to replace original versions to the album. Hymn 43, My God, Locomotive breath :D

Tone_Boss likes this.
  3. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

wow that bbc special is wonderful, I can listen to it here in the states...never heard it before also never heard Ian talk about what part jennie had in writing aqualung, thanks

Almost Simon likes this.
  4. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Jethro Tull- Aqualung 45th Anniversary- Ian Anderson 5-2
    Few albums from any time in the Rock Era continue to satisfy quite so well as Jethro Tull‘s masterpiece Aqualung. Ian Anderson smartly wrote songs for all seasons for a superb band, including the timeless rockers “Aqualung”,”Cross-Eyed Mary”,”Locomotive Breath,” and “Hymn #43“, but perfectly paced the album with tasty acoustic classics like “Wond’ring Aloud“and “Mother Goose“. Ian Anderson is my guest with insights and revelations concerning Aqualung on its forty-fifth anniversary the week of May 2. –Redbeard

DonnyMe likes this.
  5. TheFatChocobo

TheFatChocobo Forum Resident

The BBC special is terrific indeed. It's a joy to listen to Ian talking about his own work in such detail, though I wish he'd said something about what's going on in the lyrics to Slipstream! In any case, I'm as usual impressed by how articulate and generous he can be when discussing the music, and how funny. "You can almost sing along."

Incidentally, since I didn't skip through the songs, this is the first time in a long time that I haven't listened to the Steven Wilson remix of the album. When the original CD pressing was all I had the songs were so amazing that it kind of failed to register with me how poorly mixed that album really once was. I read a lot about that old version in times of Tull obsessions since, over the past few years, and wondered "was it really that bad before...?" without going back to check. Well, yes, yes it was, by comparison yes indeed it was.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  6. Jimii70

Jimii70 Forum Resident

Mine has arrived . Playing the Steven Wilson stereo mix right now , this is much much better. The acoustic songs are not at the same level as the rock songs anymore.

7. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Looking forward to this - Amazon UK shipped mine out yesterday. Wonder if I'll need to keep the blu-ray that I kept out of the last box when I get this?

8. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

My God: Jethro Tull’s ‘Aqualung’ really IS an album that you MUST hear before you die »

Jethro Tull – Aqualung 2016 Deluxe Edition (2CD/2DVD) »

Bob Mersereau's Top 100 Canadian Blog: MUSIC REVIEW OF THE DAY: JETHRO TULL - AQUALUNG »

[​IMG]
    Giveaway: Jethro Tull »
    To celebrate the release of the latest Jethro Tull boxed set – the new deluxe 2CD/2DVD version of the classic ‘Aqualung’ album - you can enter to win an expansive Tull prize package. Available now, the 40th Anniversary Adapted Edition of ‘Aqualung’ includes the Steven Wilson remix of the album, an additional disc of associated 1970/1971 recordings, including the ‘Life Is a Long Song’ EP and a host of bonus tracks, plus two DVDs with 5.1 surround mixes and the original ‘Life Is A Long Song’ promotional film. The 2CD/2DVD box comes housed in a deluxe 80 page hard bound book, with lyrics, rare photographs, recording essays and more.

To celebrate this new release you can enter to win a Jethro Tull package, comprising a copy of the new ‘Aqualung: 40th Anniversary Edition,’ along with deluxe 2CD/2DVD versions of ‘Too Old To Rock’n’Roll: Too Young To Die,’ ‘Minstrel In the Gallery: 40th Anniversary : La Grande Edition’ and ‘WarChild: 40th Anniversary Theatre Edition.’

[​IMG]

Aqualung | The Jethro Tull Forum »

9. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I just entered, thanks.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Jimii70

Jimii70 Forum Resident

All 4 mixes Steven Wilson Stereo/5.1 Mix and original Quad and Stereo are 24 bit 96 kHz.
    It has the original mix of the E.P and 7 additional remixes in 5.1 and 10 Steven Wilson stereo mixes,
    So I'm guessing that there is more content on the two new Dvds in High Resolution over the Blu Ray but I maybe wrong.

Tom in Houston and jsayers like this.
  11. therockman

Has this new release corrected the glitches in the flat transfer of the original mix that are found on the Blu Ray?

12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Bull Moose has it for $30.97 with free shipping. My order from Amazon.uk shipped today and will arrive a week from Monday. Long shipping time but worth it to save a few bucks as the shipped price was $27.38 shipped.

Jethro Tull - Aqualung (2CD/2DVD) »

Bill

jsayers likes this.
  13. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Damn mine arrived today by courier and I had to go to a funeral. Curses.

14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Just think how the deceased feels.

Bill

mshare, bobcat and Terry like this.
  15. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

"Sorry you're dead but could you not have picked a better time for it? I have a 40 year old recording I MUST listen to right now".

snkcube, bobcat, ti-triodes and 3 others like this.
  16. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Dammit !

I've got an early VK pressing
    The Hoffman DCC
    A Japan for Japan 1988 pressing
    and
    The last 2010 ? issue.

Can I trade all but the Hoffman DCC back in for the new edition ?

Dad gurnit !!!!!!

17. culabula

culabula Unread author.

He bought it for me.

**It's OK, us pals all had a wicked sense of humour.

Bill Mac likes this.
  18. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

u.s. residents only :(

19. Jimii70

Jimii70 Forum Resident

Yes. Those awful glitches have gone. This is a brilliant release how it should have been the first time around.

20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Cool! Makes it even more special :).

Bill

21. culabula

culabula Unread author.

It was most inconsiderate.

22. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I just entered that Rhino contest too. COOL!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. therockman

Thanks. :righton:

24. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

Just got mine. I hope none of the people on this forum who are always quick to admonish people who use the word "mastered" in the same sentence as "Steven Wilson" don't see the front cover.

25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

What's on the front cover?

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.