Jethro Tull Aqualung and Benefit available on HDTracks - Steven Wilson remixes without mastering

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jjjos, May 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Aqualung also had a lot of unnecessary brightness added. At least the dynamics on TAAB were respected. Choose your poison. :laugh:

2. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

3. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Listened to this last night via my new Fiio X1 - this version sounds incredible!

4. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Thick as a brick is brighter than Aqualung

5. Say

Say Forum Resident

WoW! Downloaded the 24/96 mix and wasn't expecting too much until... everything sounded so pleasant. Great mix and great tone compared to all other issues I listened to (original US vinyl, jax capital cd, DCC, and Wilson cd). Anyone sitting on the fence will not be disappointed. The HD version has no glare and makes this an audiophile go to.

johnny q and FVDnz like this.
  6. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

This mastering sounds great even on iTunes.
    Sonically it's easily the best I've ever heard this album
    That said I still prefer the original mix. I'm a purist regarding original mixes.

sgtpppr84 likes this.
  7. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

Just bought Aqualung this morning from HDtracks to use the 20% off coupon. This is the first time I've ever heard the album, but I'm definitely enjoying it so far. I'm about half way through now... sound is great, as expected from Wilson. And the content is right up my alley as well, so double win!

FVDnz, Scooter59 and Plan9 like this.
  8. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I wish I could remember what it was like to hear Aqualung for the first time. Enjoy!

Carserguev likes this.
  9. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

On "Wind Up" now, it's been a really fun listen! I'd heard of Tull here on the forum often but just hadn't gotten around to checking out any of their work until the coupon and praise for this release came up. Same for XTC (another one I think Wilson worked on a few remixes for), I see the band name here all the time but haven't listened to any of their work yet. One day...

10. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Yes, this new version is abolutely stunning.

johnny q likes this.
  11. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Just to clarify, Steven Wilson remixed Aqualung in 2011 for the 40th anniversary box set, and Peter Mews mastered it. The new 2015 24/96 HDTracks version is the same Wilson 2011 remix, but Wilson has personally remastered it (or, more accurately, flat-transferred it, removing the EQ and slight limiting that Mews had added in 2011). If you like Aqualung, this new version is a must buy. HDTracks has a 20% off promotion for the rest of today, 6/1/2015. Use code HDSAVINGS20 at checkout.

12. If you're reading this on 6/2/2015, Pono has it for $14.99 ($0.61 higher).

P.S. Pono has "Wond'ring Aloud" mislabelled as as second "Mother Goose", so you'll have to re-label your file.

13. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Now if they'd just make a download version of A Passion Play that has does not miss the 2 and a half minutes if music that has veen missing from the iTunes download!

14. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

I was sniffing around for more detailed information on the Aqualung quad mix but found only a few scraps of info.... some say fold downs of the quad were used for the M.U. album, some say different takes were used on the quad, etc. Is there some reasonably complete info on the quad mix variations (if any)? There's definitely more liberal use of reverb on the quad mix..........

15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

If not here, I'm sure the guys at http://www.quadraphonicquad.com have discussed it. :)

jtiner likes this.
  16. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

That is an odd one. The file name is incorrect, but it is tagged correctly, so it should look right on any players.

17. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

Just checked again and the titles in the Pono player are correct.

I now have a new appreciation for this album; absolutely stunning mix and master.

18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

There are quad fold downs used, and some somgs contain different instrumental or vocal parts. Wind-Up is the famous one with totally different vocal track used.

The reverb issue is moot. This quad mix does not use any more than an average stereo mix. The rear channels do not contain more reverb to the best of my memory. They contain musical passages supporting the song.

Besides the differences in the musical parts, performances, and presentation, the quad mix is just clearer, and cleaner. It never had an issue about it concerning muddy or murkiness that the stereo mix had.

jtiner likes this.
  19. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

I know this thread isn't about the vinyl, but do your comments apply to the vinyl too?

20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

And I should add that there was no damage or wear to the quad master tapes of this album. The q master had been used so rarely over the years that wear was nonexistent - resulting in a stunning transfer in the later deluxe edition. If one ever comes across an original CD-4 Quad LP in good condition, they should grab it quick. It's pure audiophile mastering, really sweet sounding.

21. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The vinyl has a specific mastering.

22. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

And a very nice one, too...

23. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Indeed. It is better than the CD/DVD/BR but I think the new Hi-Res download beats it.

24. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Senior Member

I would pay good money for a Steven Wilson mono remix of Benefit - any format.

25. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Well, that pushed me over the edge. Downloading now.

Plan9 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.