Jethro Tull Aqualung - best audiophile vinyl version overall?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GuyMontag21, Dec 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuyMontag21

GuyMontag21 Forum Resident Thread Starter

been lurking on here for months - finally got back into vinyl this summer. glad to meet all of you.

this album has been a thorn in my side for years as a budding audiophile, and I've grown up hearing it over and over. Dad's vinyl copy sounded bad, my first used 1980s CD copy sounded bad, and the (I think?) late 1990s remaster I later borrowed from a friend sounded bad too. (There was some hiss removed. Whatever. And it wasn't like I was going to buy the gold DCC version when I was a high school student.)

Steve Wilson's remix changed all of this. And I have to dedicate an entire paragraph to how overjoyed was to hear the remix. I had no clue there were strings on Cheap Day Return, and my jaw hit the ground the first time I heard the detail in Martin Barre's guitar on Mother Goose. And there is almost NO HISS at the beginning of Locomotive Breath.

I'm unlikely to want the entire boxed set, as I don't really like CDs that much. As it seems that it's very hard to get the Steve Wilson remix on vinyl by itself (I'll have to check eBay every day) I've looked into the other good versions I've seen praised on here. So far, I've compiled a list of what to look for. Let me know if I have anything missing.

Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab
    DCC
    Classic Records
    Classic Records (4 LP and 45 RPM. Heard *nothing* about this.)
    Steve Wilson remix

Thanks much guys

2. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Aqualung falls into my top 25 of favorite albums of all time; like yourself, I've been searching "forever" for that "great sounding" version. I have the 45 RPM vinyl LP box from Classic Records; I have to be honest..for all it's stunning beauty as a package, I heard very little in the way of improvement over other recent versions (such as the 200 gram standard Lp which I also have). If anything, it's a bit brighter than past versions but, in all honeatly, didn't do much for me in terms of strengthening the low end or 'cleaning up" anything (like that dirty sounding piano intro to Locomotive Breath or the overall messy mixes of Hymn 43 and Wind Up).

In rescue of all the shortcomings mentioned above, the Wilson remix was nothing short of a godsend. Upon the first second of the title track's opening riff I heard a distinct difference. As the drums and full band kicked in I found myself enveloped in a sound scape such as I'd NEVER experienced even remotely with this album. The newly "discovered" richness in highs and lows-as well as the actual stereo separation-was all-encompassing. My biggest test was the intro of LM...finally that delicate, haunting piano intro could be enjoyed in all it's lurking glory.

...and as an added plus (and a very important one), the vinyl pressing (which came only with the deluxe box set) is immaculate; without question, one of the very best in recent years . With credit to all of Wilson's remix projects, this one (IMO) is by far his greatest achievement. If one was to create a top 20 list of Classic Rock albums that needed an aural overhaul, Aqualung would be right up there and Wilson rose beautifully to the occasion.

stax o' wax, joelee, SirMarc and 2 others like this.
  3. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

My vote's for the Classic records LP.

DK Pete likes this.
  4. ehtoo

ehtoo Forum Resident

I have both Classic and DCC and the DCC has the definite edge. I also have the original Reprise purchased new in the day (showing my age). Other than having it, can't touch the other two, and now sits unloved on my shelf.

john lennonist and Tullman like this.
  5. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I have a few Classic re-issues which are near perfect pressings...sound quality of the music itself aside, I was a little surprised at the pressing of my copy of Aqualung which showed evidence of a little "no-fill" in a couple of spots.

6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I have an old original copy and then the Classic Records release became my go to copy but that has been bumped aside for the Steve Wilson remix. It's a shame that this is not available separate from the deluxe set because it just sounds fantastic IMO.

7. GuyMontag21

What I've generally been hearing is that the DCC remaster was done on an all-tube system, and very warm and pleasant sounding...and that the Classic Records remaster was quite strong on detail. (I've heard almost nothing good on the MoFi - other than its EQ settings were controversial.)

How much better is Wilson's remaster than the Classic Records release, would you say?

8. GuyMontag21

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue32/aqualung.htm

This particular article I stumbled across last night and it's pretty comprehensive.

It makes a point of very openly praising the original US Reprise release of the album (and says that the UK Chrysalis was pretty poor). Anyone here had any experiences with the Reprise pressing?

9. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Hmm...that doesn't really comport with my experience. I found the UK original vinyl superior to the US original vinyl, at the level where I got rid of the US vinyl, which I rarely do for iconic albums.

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This is my opinion, as well.

11. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I like the acoustic guitars on the MoFi.

rollo5 and john lennonist like this.
  12. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I have only heard US Reprise pressings. Some are better than others. The good ones sound quite good, and they are cheap enough that you can buy several copies to experiment and still have spent much less money than you'd spend on the more esoteric options.

AidanB and Bernard hansen like this.
  13. olsen

olsen Senior Member

My original Reprise, with the textured cover, was indeed the best version I heard until the remix. However every subsequent Reprise I had (there was a period when I bought every good looking used copy that I came across) was a vast downgrade, seemingly cut from a poor duplicate tape.

AidanB and john lennonist like this.
  14. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Probably in the minority here, but I did not like the 200gr 33rpm Classic Records. I don't know, it sounded really EQ'd. Like they tried very hard to bring out what isn't there.

My original French pressing has better tonality -the acoustic guitars especially sound life-like on this.

I'm a big fan of the remix though, I would get that for best sound quality, regardless of the mix not being the original.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  15. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

16. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

No comparison. Wilson's is a remix.

17. GuyMontag21

wow, this is a real can of worms - I'm very happy I started this thread.

that's some major dedication, olsen, thanks for sharing. So the Reprises with the textured cover are guaranteed to be the good pressings, or is there still a risk involved?

of course - d'oh. thanks for the correction, I'm still a newbie.

18. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

The Reprise pressing with 1A in the deadwax on each side (same as the WLP) sounds great, the later cuts pale in comparison. I was surprised that I wasn't impressed with the original UK pressing, I tried a couple copies and liked the 1A Reprise better.

Cassius likes this.
  19. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I compared the Classic and DCC after our PM exchange a while back, I have to agree the Classic is my favorite version as well now. I sold the DCC LP. I would love to hear an original UK pressing. 1A/1A USA WLP is also excellent.

Steven Wilson's remix is good, but in my opinion it pushes it a bit too far and makes it sound like a modern digital recording. His ELP remixes are more subtle and I prefer that style of remixing.

20. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Might want to check out this old thread.

21. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

As a previous poster said, NO COMPARISON!! Wilson's remix literally makes it like you're hearing it for the first time.

Randu and Plan9 like this.
  22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

MFSL LP of Aqualung...

rollo5 and EasterEverywhere like this.
  23. GuyMontag21

whew.

something tells me I'm going to eventually own three copies of this on vinyl - and I no problem with that at all. :goodie:

24. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I bought the DCC Aqualung when it was first released and it sounds excellent. I also bought the Classic reissue but I never warmed up to that one.

Scott

john lennonist likes this.
  25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, enjoy the MFSL LP!

EasterEverywhere likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.