Jethro Tull 'Aqualung'.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by felix.scerri, Oct 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

very close to a perfect album.

with apologies to tull fans everywhere, who i know will vehemently disagreee, but ian anderson never even came close to this again.

would love to get my hands on a DCC, but i refuse to mortgage my house for one.

and i agree that the silver 25th anniversary CD might be the worst sounding CD of all time.

Erik B. likes this.
  3. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

What is the current value of the dcc version?

4. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I did an extended shoot out a few months ago. WLP, early Reprise, old Mo Fi, UK first press, Classic 33 and 45, DCC, Steve Wilson vinyl and probably a few others. DCC is a top copy so are the early Reprise. Wilson is a no brainer.

5. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

Zeppelin and Tull had been touring together a lot during that era. Page and Jones apparently werent too fond of them at times, Jones said "Ian Anderson is a pain in the ass" and Page chided them by saying, "they should title their live album, Jethro Dull, Bore 'em at the Forum". Perhaps he was just jealous, I dont know. The Isle of Wight concert by Tull, is anything but dull. Just my opinion, for whatever thats worth.

Ritchie Blackmore was a huge Tull fan. Martin Barre said that either Blackmore or Page (I cant remember which) was watching from the control room while he played the solo to Aqualung and it was quite nerve wracking.

I'm a longtime Tull fan, I have just about everything they ever released, and have seen them probably about 10 times, all the way back to the Songs from the Wood tour. My first introduction to Tull was the song Aqualung, a friend of mine had it and continually dropped the needle down on the line "snot is running down his nose" and thought that was the greatest and funniest thing ever recorded. It was some time after that I managed to hear the album in its entirety.

Its a classic, certainly one of the best classic rock albums ever made.

It saddens me that Barre is no longer touring with Anderson or apparently making any music with him at all.

keyXVII likes this.
  6. Sorry if this is a repeat question but is the 2015 Steven Wilson version different to the one in the 2011 box set. I have that box, an original US pressing and the Classic 45rpm.
    Bigger question is do I really need another copy.

7. tootull

All good now! & I thought Roger Daltrey was famous for the Jethro Dull comment.
    [​IMG]

keyXVII and jon9091 like this.
  8. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

The 2011 release was tweaked by Peter mew even though Wilson delivered a fully mastered final version. The hdtracks provides an unfettered view of what should have been released before. But no bonus cuts so a completist needs both

The new version is subtly better but not bell ringing better

9. tootull

The Aqualung vinyl was mastered from the flat SW remix, Peter Mew didn't touch it. - per Plan9

chaz and nibor like this.
  10. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

they're probably both delighted, and a bit surprised, that they're still both alive.

tootull and jon9091 like this.
  11. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

wow never saw this or heard of it...thanks I really wish I could have been in that room

keyXVII and tootull like this.
  12. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I have the DCC CD but I am very curious to hear the Wilson remix. Aqualung is one of my very favorite Tull records.

Maybe it's due to the way in which I started collecting Tull but I REALLY love the M.U. mixes of "Aqualung" and "Locomotive Breath". Those are Quad fold-downs, right? I dig the loud fuzz bass on "Locomotive" and the different vocal/acoustic guitar performance during the first quiet bit of "Aqualung". ...

13. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Maybe I overdosed on it as a teenager or something, but I haven't felt the urge to play this one in ages. Whereas I've listened to Stand Up, Benefit, Living in the Past, Thick as a Brick and War Child in the past year or so. Even Songs from the Wood probably. I'm sure the urge will return eventually, and the thing's not going anywhere...

14. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

You seriously need to buy the Wilson remixed Aqualung. It's excellent (and yes, I have the DCC for the original mix and considered both the MFSL vinyl and 25th Anniversay CD versions abominations)

BGLeduc, mmars982, Keith V and 3 others like this.
  15. Tero

Tero Forum Resident

tootull and Keith V like this.
  16. tootull

More: Art takes many forms, even liquid
    By Charles Andrews on December 2, 2015 in Curious City
    ...an afternoon sound check by Jethro Tull, in a near-empty 20,000-seat basketball arena aptly named The Pit, that suddenly morphed from the normal cacophony of tuning up into a full-on 20-minute private performance of their killer anthem “Aqualung.” The acoustics of a screaming-loud rock band in the empty arena were unlike anything I’d ever heard before, or since.

The 20 or so of us who just happened to be there were stunned; clapping felt irrelevant. Just shake your head and grin. (Also not stoned.)

:pleased:

17. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I've read that Tull frequently blew Zeppelin off the stage when they opened for them in 1969. They were a much more professional and consistent outfit, whereas Zep often had 'off' nights (and lots of boots back this up).

18. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

I also like loco quad better. The best quad is hymn 43. The vocals are a lot more enjoyable and I really like the song now but I've never enjoyed the original enough. My god quad is also better.

tootull and CybrKhatru like this.
  19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

not surprising. martin barre is very very underrated as a guitarist...the opposite of jimmy page for lack of better words.

Siegmund likes this.
  20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I've never heard of Ian playing bass on the album Aqualung although he said he played some lead guitar on "Locomotive Breath" because Barre had trouble understanding what he wanted. Ian played most of the bass on Stormwatch later because John Glascock was ill.

21. Tero

Tero Forum Resident

It looks like Ian came up with the bass parts and taught them to Hammond. So Ian must have played the bass enough:
    http://jethrotull.proboards.com/thread/1751

22. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

The Zep boys were partiers and drugs weren't off limits. Tull by comparison were almost choir boys, Glenn Cornick being the glaring exception. Of course that also accounts as to why he isn't seen on Aqualung. His penchant for partying became an issue with Ian, and out the door he went.

23. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yes, as I understand it Ian taught Jeffrey the bass parts note for note throughout Jeffrey's time in the band. However, Ian didn't play the bass himself on the recordings.

24. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

I played this album the other day, which I hadn't in a very long time. It took me back to the first time I heard this album and getting lost in its brilliance. One of the most perfect albums ever made.

keyXVII likes this.
  25. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I have the DCC vinyl and more recent Classic vinyl reissue. Even though some of the songs were played on the radio frequently I still enjoy hearing this album every once in a while. It is a brilliant and creative album.

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.