Jethro Tull 'Benefit' - New Steve Wilson stereo and 5.1 remixes*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Mono recordings work well for calibrating surround systems!:) Seriously, I made a few 5.1 recordings with mono tracks in all six channels. Piper at the Gates of Dawn in mono is actually pretty awesome. Switching channels/speakers and optimizing levels have never been this much fun. Also used the Sly hits mono and Fresh Cream. Piece of cake using Audacity...

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Too much work ;). I'll let the likes of Steven Wilson handle all the mixing duties, I just want to push play :D.

Bill

Jack and Hymie the Robot like this.
  3. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

My Integra receiver has a setting called Full Mono, which combines everything and routes that signal to all 7.2 channels. I listen to all mono this way, it's like surround mono, (but it is balanced so it seems to come from front center).

4. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I like using mono music instead of test tones to set levels. I don't have a mono feature on my 5.1 preamp.

Does that setting on your receiver process the sound in any way?

5. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

No. Just combines the signals.

6. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

Benefit is not in my top 10 tull albums, but Steven Wilsons mixes are superb. I listened 5.1 mix yesterday and it was such a great musical experience.. that mix elevates the record to a completely new level.

John Buchanan and FVDnz like this.
  7. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Not in you top 10:eek: Are you sure you are a Tull fan?

8. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

Yes, sir. Jethro Tull is my favourite band. :)
    I have nothing against Benefit, but honestly I think they produced better albums ;)
    It all comes down to personal preference.

9. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Benefit is sort of an outlier between Stand Up and Aqualung- more a guitar guy album- but Martin Barre can really play, and some of those riffs stick in your head. Steve Wilson is a genius in my estimation, both with respect to his own work and the work he has done for others. I'm absolutely taken with his remixed Damnation, the Opeth album.

Ed Hughes, FVDnz and Mirsset like this.
  10. mr.steelydan

mr.steelydan Forum Resident

In 1994 I bought Tull's 20th anniversary box and quickly fell in love with the song '17' (albeit IA is not too proud of that song). Which on that release is only 3:07 long and just fades after the lyrics. I always though that this song cries for a longer outro, which I was not aware actually existed in the original long version (6:09), which came out with the Stand Up special release in 2010.
    All these versions were mono, but ok - better than nothing.

In 2012 the Steven Wilson remix of Benefit came out and includes a remix of '17' and in stereo. What more could one wish for.

However, what bugs me is the treatment of the piano in that mix. In the old mono versions I can clearly hear it from 0:30 onward. In the new mix it is totally buried and practically not audible.

Is it just me? I can not believe that this is intentional. Any opinions from the forum side? Thanks!

11. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

On the same box there is also the unedited original 1969 stereo mix.

12. mr.steelydan

mr.steelydan Forum Resident

This is a relieve - but only partly. The original stereo mix is 5:31, the original mono mix is 6:11 and the Wilson remix is 6:20. Thus the "long" piano is only mono.

13. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

I just received the Steve Wilson remix of Benefit from Amazon on vinyl. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. I never knew there was a different track listing on the U.K and U.S releases till I read this thread. If I remember my old CD correctly, Teacher is a pretty good song. The copy I received is the U.K version and the hype sticker says it's cut with Direct Metal Mastering. Is there a U.S version of the Steve Wilson remix that has the U.S tracks that include Teacher or do all the copies on vinyl contain the original U.K track listings? Are all versions cut with Direct Metal Mastering?

14. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

15. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

Thanks!

16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The copy I bought a few years ago is not labelled DMM. However since they used files and if Optimal cut it, likely it will be. Most Optimal, Record industry and GZ releases are DMM cuts, unless they are supplied with lacquers.

17. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

Just listened to side one of my new copy. It's been a few years since I heard this album, and that was on CD. I can't honestly compare this vinyl played on the better gear I have now to that CD, but I really enjoyed what I heard tonight. The song Alive And Well And Living In is a great song too.

18. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

Coming late to the party.

I just received the Collector's Edition 2 CD 1 DVD from Amazon today. Did this not come in the larger book package like the other releases?

19. Unfortunately it did not come in the book format used for all the other deluxe editions (except This Was).

20. Yes it's a lovely song. And that remix is splendid!

21. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

Thanks! The interesting thing is that there were some sellers on ebay selling them for $60.00 - $100.00 because it appeared to be no longer available. Amazon also appeared to be sold out for a long time but then they must have received more copies as this is a Collector's Edition with the two CDs and one DVD.

22. Yes, you got lucky to find the set at a good price. The packaging is not much, but the mix and music is amazing.

23. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Been trying to fill the holes in the Steven Wilson remixes department and noticed that this 2CD/1DVD set is $11.99 on Insound along with a nice selection of newer discounted records. Is this a good price?

24. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It is a fantastic price.

DonnyMe, yesstiles and Synthfreek like this.
  25. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I've gotten some great prices from them in the past. I went ahead with:

T. Rex - T. Rex (Remastered)(Vinyl 1 LP)$8.99
    Charles Mingus - Blues & Roots (Mono) (180 Gram Vinyl 1 LP) $9.89
    Deep Purple - Fireball (Vinyl 1 LP) $11.24
    Jethro Tull - Benefit (Deluxe)(2CD/1DVD) $11.99
    Sisters Of Mercy - Vision Thing Era (4LP Vinyl Boxset) $29.24
    Uriah Heep - Heavy (180 Gram Vinyl 1LP) $8.99
    Sisters Of Mercy - First And Last And Always Era (30th Anniversary Box Set) (Vinyl - 4LP) $33.74

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.