Jethro Tull – Heavy Horses: New Shoes Edition, 5-disc set (9 February 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Jun 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

In any of my posts? You are such a devoted follower that read all of them?

2. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Who cares? You were complaining about the price! That is just absurd. These boxes are for people who enjoy this lavish treatment. If it is not for you that is totally okay. But don't complain about the price!

3. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

Off topic, so I won't go further than this. First, I listen to a lot of live Crimson because Crimson is far more interesting (and variable) live than about any other band I can think of, including JT. Second, how often I listen to "Fracture" and/or "Lament" has nothing at all to do with the pricing of this box, and whether or not it is "outrageous". If you think 30 CDs, 2 DVDs, and 2 Blu-Rays for $140 is outrageous, that's your (I would guess, somewhat unusual) opinion. I'm not sure why you want to argue about it. Also, I'm not sure why you'd buy the JT boxes rather than the single disc SW remixes, given your aversion to "expensive" redundant content, but whatever floats your boat . . .

Anthrax and Nightswimmer like this.
  4. Old Zorki II

I already wrote about it. If JT will release this boxes for $150+ with all this discs I will buy them. But for a lot of people, who may find spare 35-40 bucks for a favorite album with all the trimmings of deluxe edition paying $150 is a bit too much.
    I have a friend who is fairly big KC fan, and he refused to pay $150 for a Road to Red, even if Red was his favorite album. Regardless of value proposition and huge number of CDs - pricing of the box so high that even some devoted fans cannot afford them I believe is wrong.

5. Nightswimmer

No matter what product you sell, you can never expect that all devoted fans can afford it or want to buy it. With 20 or more CDs, the production costs of a release will be substantial and to make a profit and ensure future releases, you have to charge a certain amount of money. Compared to Crimson, The Grateful Dead charge slightly more for the similar releases that they put out.

You are saying that your friend refused to pay $ 150 for the Road to Red. That's fine. He does not have to. If he does not think it is good value: strange, but okay. And if other people find this a bit too much - that is their decision. I know that once these boxes go out of print, they will be $300, 400, 500 and more.

6. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

No, mine doesn't have the line and doesn't have the faults.

7. Old Zorki II

May be so, however with digital I doubt prices will ever go that high. How many really devoted KC fans would miss those boxes after all this years and start buying them? But who knows, and hopefully you right.
    As of value - look at Nazareth Loud and Proud Box.. For 200 (probably 150 after release) you get 42 discs, including 7 LPs, all their studio albums remastered, lots of concerts, books, memorabilia, etc...
    Now that is treating fans right! Too bad I am not big Nazareth fan...

8. Nightswimmer

Neither am I. And while Nazareth's offer is certainly nice, their appeal is probably much more limited than KC's appeal.

9. Mark in Minnesota

Mark in Minnesota Forum Resident

And most Nazareth fans have everything they want as it is like me..... I have everything they've done.

10. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Not Benefit but also not available in the Book format. Wait a year or so.

11. electronicpaperboy

electronicpaperboy Forum Resident

Cl
    Not digital? Clearly you are not familiar with the Sandy Denny 19 disc box set from 2010. It sold for £150.00, went OOP quicky and has sold steadily at around £500-£800 since then that's Discog prices not inflated Amazon ones.

12. Too much content for me.

13. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I remember seeing the complete deluxe A Passion Play on HDTracks a while back. Now, only the single-disc version (no Chateau tracks) is available.

JulesRules likes this.
  14. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

It would be for most bands for me too. KG and Zappa are the exceptions though. And jazz artists.

15. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

I hope you're right. I'm late to the game on these. I was lucky to pick up Minstrel and A Passion Play at Barnes and Noble last week, but Warchild and SftW are impossible to find for lass than a coupe hundred bucks now.

16. Old Zorki II

Indeed, I was not familiar with this story. But it was a box with her entire catalog and bunch of outtakes and unreleased songs, and extremely limited - only 3000 was released. I can understand appeal of this box, but I do not believe that comparison with KC boxes, which been around for years, is valid.
    But as I said, I would be happy to be wrong here. The more valuable such releases become, the more similar releases I will see from the bands I like. I just want to see less ambitions releases as well, so no just well off collectors (and the most devoted fans) can buy them.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  17. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

KC boxes are very tempting but obviously one can spend the rest of his life listening to these! I do understand unconditional fans that will acquire them. Price tag seems high BUT value is there. It’s actually a bargain.

I got the individual album releases on CD/DVD and completed with some of the best live and KCCC releases. My OCD completist days are
    mostly over!

Pete Puma likes this.
  18. Old Zorki II

KC is not my cup of tea at all, and I did not realize that they have "light" editions (CD+DVD) as well.
    In this case - I owe KC fans an apology, indeed they have a choice of "smaller" set and "kitchen sink". I was thrown off by my friend complains ))).

Runicen, Pete Puma and Plan9 like this.
  19. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Ohh...interesting....might need to give my DVD a spin...

20. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Same here - tried to cherry pick the Collectors Club releases after a years subscription. Also have Epitaph and The Great Deceiver box sets, as well as Heavy Construkction and the Projekcts box. There's a bit too much to absorb with the later box sets.

Norco74 likes this.
  21. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Finally got around to listening to Berne (stereo - CD presentation). I much prefer this to the Landover/Boston set. Not necessarily the sound, which is fine but not very engaging, but the performance and setlist. I think it worked much better opening with a bang with Sweet Dream and No Lullaby, then moving to some quieter numbers, than opening with Wond'ring Aloud as they did on the previous US tour represented in the Landover/Boston set (and they did that for most of '77 right?)

Speaking of No Lullaby from Berne...did you guys ever figure out why it appears here abridged? The handwritten notes inside the Heavy Horses book, which I assume are notations of approximate song length and reel changes from the 24-track recording from Berne, show No Lullaby as being 8 minutes. It does seem to end rather abruptly. Shenanigans?

22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Sometime earlier in this thread we discussed this but I don't think there was a definitive answer obtained. Either an audience recording from that part of the tour would need to surface or someone would need to ask Jakko, or someone else who heard the tapes while preparing this set.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  23. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I'm a little odd, I guess. Always been a fan of Tull. Getting these was mandatory really.

King Crimson, not really. I had some solo Fripp, the frippertonics stuff, Exposure. Liked it, but just didn't get into Crimson.

That said, I have four of the big boxes. Thrak, Aspic, Discipline, and Starless. I bought each sort of randomly, on a whim. Those boxes are just monumental. They're exhaustive pictures in time. Sonically it's like walking into a corner of an aduio museum dedicated to a specific period of some strange band.

Are some tracks in the box multiple times? Sure - but most of what's in there are live performances, so it's not an issue. You just listen to a particular gig. Hell, the opening disc in the Aspic box is a very poor quality bootleg - and to my ears it's so damn compelling. On the one hand you'rem listening thinking, "wow, this sounds bad", and on the other it's got this "you're really there" feeling - like some faded memory. Just amazing.

How can anyone complain about them? The Crimson boxes are everything and the kitchen sink. The Tull boxes are a re-imagination, and eveything of the highest quality.

How many of these Crimson boxes are there? I have four, and must get them all at some point.

Runicen likes this.
  24. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

There's a 5 disc box for Court, Sailor's Tales for the next three albums and Road to Red. Reconstruction of Light is coming soon.

25. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Cheers.

I just bought Crimson, so just two more to go. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.