Jethro Tull: Songs From The Wood 40th Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kim Olesen, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

Apparently Steven Wilson is working on Stormwatch for a 2019 release. No news about Benefit being released in book-format. A bunch of left-over TAAB sets were for sale from Burning Shed last month!

tvstrategies and Plan9 like this.
  2. I'm not sure if it's entirely due to the stereo remix (I can't compare it to anything at the moment) or to the mastering job, but the album material here sounds so good to me that it made me actually reasses how great the original album is. I used to have certain issues with it, but now it's tops!

lucan_g likes this.
  3. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

If you speak about SFTW (so much off topic here): yes. Untill the remix I wasn't aware how little bass content the original mix had. And that was even put to the extreme with the even more bright remaster....

This stereo mix is so fantastic (I've still have to hear any of the 5.1. mixes)

ParloFax likes this.
  4. Yes, I was referring to SFTW.

5. Jerjo

Jerjo Forum Resident

Looking forward to Stormwatch and wanting to throw myself off a cliff for missing my chance to get SFTW before it went OOP. At least I got HH in time.

6. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

With the original mix I never heard the bassdrum hits during the snarerolls in Hunting Girl...

ParloFax likes this.
  7. HanowarHAIL

HanowarHAIL Forum Resident

I feel the same way. I missed SFTW. The funny thing is Songs From The Wood is my favorite JT album but I told myself it would eventually get a little cheaper like most of the other sets have.

8. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

40 bucks was pretty damn cheap for a beautiful 5 disc package.

DaveJ and SirMarc like this.
  9. HanowarHAIL

HanowarHAIL Forum Resident

You're right. I kept telling myself I'd hold off because I was already spending too much on other music at the time.

10. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Along with SFTW(which I bought after some hesitation, as not much into Folk-Rock, but the Concert in that Box Set, which included Songs from their earlier Albums, got me to purchase it), I was glad I bought 'Stand Up' right away, as that Box Set disappeared really fast.

Also, bought the MFSL Ultradisc for 'Stand Up', 'Aqualung', 'Thick as a Brick' and 'Living in the Past'. Although the WG CCD-1044 'Aqualung' is a really good version and I first bought that one, as got it for a decent price(think around $25-IIRC).

Plan9 likes this.
  11. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

TAAB sets?! Not anymore! Rats...

12. I now see that Ray Shulman is credited with "CD master assembly" (same as on "War Child" remix, for instance). What is this, same as mastering work proper? And if not, who is the mastering engineering here?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  13. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It means taking the Hi-Res mixes files and putting them on a CD master that can be pressed by the plants.
    No "traditional" audio mastering involved.

ParloFax likes this.
  14. Thanks for this explanation M'sieur! Going back in time a couple more years though, what was it then that Peter Mew did on this project, before he retired? Didn't work with Hi-Res files back then (Thick As A Brick, etc.)?

15. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

He mastered Steven Wilson's new remix.

Plan9 likes this.
  16. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

^ This: he did the usual audio mastering thingy.

17. That was what I was talking about, mastering.

18. So no files, then. They still used tape?

19. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

You misunderstood. All Steven Wilson's remix work is digital.
    In the case of TAAB, Mew did some mastering on the remixes (from Hi-Res files). It was the last time any Tull remix was mastered; since then the SW remixes are presented "flat" or un-mastered.

Haggis Wampovich and DaverJ like this.
  20. Oh, I thought they'd been using digital tape in those past projects... :nyah:

Thanks for the explanations!

Plan9 likes this.
  21. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Sweeping through record stores from Sacramento to the Bay Area. Heard from a friend after we left Rasputin’s in Stockton, CA that they apparently have 3 or the SFTW boxes for $50 each. This is second hand news because I didn’t witness but he knows of what he speaks.

22. dclovell

dclovell Forum Resident

Would love to get one.

Crimson Witch and SJP like this.
  23. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Had I have known before we moved beyond towards San Jose, I’d have been glad to pick up all 3 for members here at actual cost. Hope someone is able to get one.

24. dclovell

dclovell Forum Resident

They showed out of stock on their web site.

25. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Well someone will just need to get in there and grab one. My work is done. I’m back in SoCal and cannot do anything further.

One of my friends nabbed the box for A Passion Play for $15.99. I was not connected as usual during this stop because I dropped about $6 in the extensive budget bin rather than peruse the regular stock. Had to pace myself as we hit up 10 stores in 3 days.

ParloFax likes this.