Jethro Tull: Songs From The Wood 40th Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kim Olesen, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Hello, new to this site. My name is Adam. Finally got to hear the complete set set last night and really thought it was amazing. Especially enjoyed the live show.

2. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Watching the live video, I've really realized just how in the mix John Glascock was. Got a taste with Golders Green, but there's so much more music in this new vid, including Martin's jam segment, which Glascock & Barlow cut loose on. Not only is he loving life playing with Tull, he's a seriously hot bass player.

Such a shame his tenure was so brief. Even knowing he & Barlow had tentatively planned an offshoot project, one has to wonder if the big split would've occurred as it did had Glascock remained healthy. (And thus where the 80's music might've gone.) One of Barlow's biggest beefs with Ian was the paltry-ness of Glascock's salary, which he presumably only learned of after the fact (?)

Though widening the lens beyond Tull, it just seems destiny that for one reason or another so many of the classic 60's/70's bands saw major changes with the new decade. "Coinciding" with the new wave of pop music as much as being directly altered by it.

3. varitone

varitone Forum Resident

Welcome.

4. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I have now complained to Amazon regarding the vinyl, explaining that my replacement was no better than the first and that perhaps they should pass this information on to the manufacturers.

In reply, they told me to keep the defective copy and that they would refund me in full. I’m surprised, given that I volunteered that this is no fault of Amazon's but it is a welcome development in view of the infuriating mispressing that it is.

Norco74 likes this.
  5. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

I saw the new SFTW on vinyl last weekend at my local shop and decided to get the reviews from this forum before buying. As the digital boxset is doing a real fine job, I will wait a few months before buying it on vinyl. Both the vinyl and the boxset are priced around $30 CAD.

6. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

Re: the vinyl edition:

You know, the hi res 24/96 stereo master of the remix used to make the vinyl is right there on the DVD on the box set. No crackles or warps. :)

cdwolf, Pete Puma, Jimijam and 5 others like this.
  7. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Anyone noticed how the price of this set (CD) has crept up? Amazon (UK) is asking a little over £36 for it now - a good £16 more than the pre-order price.

8. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

:) :winkgrin: :D o_O :-popcorn: :cheers:

9. tootull

Now Available: Jethro Tull, SONGS FROM THE WOOD | Rhino Friday, August 18, 2017
    There’s been a lot of love doled out to Jethro Tull’s SONGS FROM THE WOOD album here at Rhino over the course of the past month or two. Of course, that outpouring of love has come about in particular because of the LP celebrating its 40th anniversary this year, but it also helps that it’s commonly considered to be one of Jethro Tull’s all-time best studio offerings.

If you’re a diehard fan, then you probably picked up the multi-disc box set we released a few months ago. If you’re more of a purist when it comes to your sonic medium, then you may have picked up the vinyl reissue of the album that hit shelves earlier this month. But if you’ve been sitting around twiddling your thumbs and wondering when we’re going to release just a single CD of the album itself, one with a top-notch Steven Wilson stereo remix, well, today’s your lucky day.

Yes, at last you can listen to classic tracks like “Ring Out, Solstice Bells,” “The Whistler,” and “Songs from the Wood” on CD and have them sound better than ever.

What are you waiting for? Go get your copy right now!

driverdrummer and DonnyMe like this.
  10. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Must have got the new batch of this one on vinyl.
    Flat,clean and quiet.........and sounds fantastic!!
    Only need Too old to R and R now.

11. DesertTwang

DesertTwang Well-Known Member

I'm curious about the crackling issue that some have reported. I picked up a copy of this release today at a local record store (I'm in the US). The record is totally flat, looks exceptionally clean for a brand-new LP and sounds great. However, there is a soft crackling noise, most notably at the very beginning of each side, that sounds like noise from dirt or static. It goes away after a few seconds, and the majority of the remaining groove sounds extremely quiet. So far I've only listened through side B, on headphones, and the very beginning of track 1 on the A side. Is my copy affected by the crackling that has been described in this thread, or are we talking something more serious that people have experienced with this pressing?

12. DesertTwang

Update: after running my copy through the SpinClean record washer, the crackle I heard before is all but gone.

13. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I'm a vinyl guy myself, but I don't understand why anyone would want to buy the remix on vinyl. Especially since many of us vinyl folks are also "purists". And most Tull UK pressings, after "Thick as a Brick" really aren't expensive at all. Probably cheaper than what the vinyl remix is selling for. And considering that so many vinyl reissues seem to have pressing problems (see that OK Computer thread, sheesh!) I really don't get it? I'll go hide under that chair now. :hide:

14. old school

old school Senior Member

Songs From The Wood I have the MFSL gold disc so I haven't pulled the trigger yet on this box set. But I'm sure I will with all the bonus material.

Barnabas Collins likes this.
  15. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I feel the same about most new vinyl. I'd rather have the cd. It's cheaper and sounds just about as good in most cases.

Norco74 likes this.
  16. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

You must. IMO, it's the best Steven Wilson box so far.

Hey, long time, no speak! Hope you're doing well. Did you retire yet?

ultron9 and old school like this.
  17. Norco74

I would be tempted to go for the vinyl but clearly the CD/DVD sound quality put this idea at rest.

Listened to the Stand Up boxset last night. Again, I cannot justify why I should buy the vinyl.

All of these boxsets also include the original flat transfer on 24/96. They sound as flat as the original vinyl IMO so unless you need the 12 x 12 record cover in your hands no need to buy a used original.

New CD seems to be mixed and mastered to the like of vinyl sound. The gap is narrowing. Of course you need to play them on a decent digital frontend which should be equal in quality to your analog frontend.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    driverdrummer likes this.
  18. old school

old school Senior Member

Yeah, I'm retired and loving it! Thanks for asking Barnabas, hope everything is good with you.

19. Norco74

On top of SW remix, the video material is the second reason why you should get the boxset.

Jimijam and old school like this.
  20. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

SFTW the country set should enter some kind of "reissue of the year" contest, it could easily win.
    How good did MITG do in 2015? I remember it was included in some kind of best reissue poll.

ultron9 and Norco74 like this.
  21. Norco74

SFTW is definitely raising the bar and setting a new standard.

driverdrummer and ultron9 like this.
  22. tootull

23. tootull

24. DesertTwang

Wow. Thank you for posting. Reading that review, I couldn't help but ask myself why the author even botheres to listen to Tull.

He certainly doesn't seem to have any problems with self confidence. But that's hardly surprising. As he informs us in his little "About me" blurb, he must indeed be truly special: "I am a writer, and I am a musician. While anyone can learn how to be either, I believe both have always been in my DNA."

I had a hunch, by the way, right at the beginning of his write-up, where he references the title of the preceding Tull album, except doesn't tell us what it is, a la "if you, my reader, don't know that by heart, you're not worthy of my musings to begin with." It's a no-no in review writing that is taught in Journalism 101. But that's the kind of stuff people miss who "have it all in their DNA..."

Sorry for my little rant. But being a writer and a musician, too, not by virtue of my DNA but by training, I just can't stand self-absorbed reviewers.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    showtaper, Pete Puma, anth67 and 5 others like this.
  25. tootull

Thanks for the reply. :cool:
    Tull DNA :winkgrin:
    :cheers:
    Still enjoying the 5.1.