Jethro Tull "Thick as a Brick" questions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kym, May 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kym

Kym Former Resident Thread Starter

Lately I've started to really enjoy the "Side 1" track of "Thick as a Brick" on the DCC gold Original Masters. I've also acquired a copy of the MoFi gold of the TAAB album.

Question: Is the current Chrysalis CD of TAAB worth getting? It's the one with the bonus live track and interview. And is this mastering the same as the CD that was released in the limited edition box with the newspaper?

I'm curious about the sound quality differences between all these editions too.

Thanks in advance. :)

2. clayton

clayton Senior Member

I have the Chrysalis version and the sound is great not like the butchered Aqualung which was no-noised to death.

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Clayton, is this the remastered version or the original version that you have?

4. clayton

clayton Senior Member

Gary it is the re-mastered version and I am not one to praise Chrysalis for their mastering but this one sound good to me.

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Great news, Clayton! I'll probably get a copy!

I picked up Aqualung and they just killed it so I was very hesitant in buying any others.

So why, if the same outfit remastered both Aqualung and Thick as a Brick, is one terrible and the other one acceptable? Did someone have a bad day??? :rolleyes: I guess we'll never know.

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

The interview on the newer Crysails disc is worth hearing. Ian talks about the studio they used. It is a great disc.

7. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

So how does the newer chrysalis disc compare sonically with the good old Mofi gold version? I like the Mofi a lot, but have been curious to give the newer one a listen.

8. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

The newer Chrysalis disc (the one that came with the newspaper) does sound great.
    Worth looking for in the shops especially for Tull fanatics.

The DCC cd is also very good.

JohnG

9. krabapple

krabapple New Member

Yes, the limited edition si the same as the current edition, and blows away the former Chrysalis version and the MoFo edition (which I thought was silver?). I haven't heard the DCC version of side one .

It's a *much* better job by EMI than their botch of the anniversary edition of Aqualung. Maybe they learned?

10. Juan

Juan Forum Resident

Re: Re: Jethro Tull "Thick as a Brick" questions

TAAB as a recording, is way better than Aqualung. So it is not fair a comparison between those Tull's. You have to compare apples with apples.
    I have a late american vinyl pressing of TAAB, the EMI centennial british vinyl one, and the 25th anniversary CD. In comparasion the CD is a joke. Bright, harsh and flat. To my ears, at least, and in my system. May be others TAAB CDs sound better.

11. Ben

Ben New Member

TAAB

Let's see...I have three copies...

MOFI Gold CD - excellent bass and mids...a little bright in some places (no surprise) but overall it's very, very good.

MOFI LP - superior sound in every way to the CD...super quiet vinyl.....I truly love this copy and I never get tired of listening to it!

The "Interview" CD issue with the original album, the interview with Ian and then the Madison Square Garden concert. Excellent for the interview alone - very illuminating. The sound of the original album is about the same as the MOFI CD on this one...

Best,

Ben

12. snowman

snowman Forum Resident

Hmmm, I'm confused....
    EMI(UK) have only released 3 Tull remasters so far (The first 3)? Hopefully they will continue through the series? These have been released in USA under the Chrysalis label?
    The current Remastered TAAB on Chrysalis was released 4 or 5 years ago? Anyone know if\when the next EMI Re-masters in the series will be released, which should include Aqualung\TAAB etc. ?

13. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Lesssee,
    I have an original CD release from the 80's(domestic)

I have the 25th Anniversary CD(UK)

I have the MOFI version

I also have the MINI-LP sleeve release from Japan

The Mini-LP version is supposedly a latest re-master, and I haven't looked at the packaging close enough to see if listed. The 25th Anniversay sounds a touch shrill, and the MOFI is probably the most listenable out of all.

I would like to find a nice MOFI LP

Chris

14. krabapple

krabapple New Member

AIUI the japanese mini-Lp version uses the same digital master as the 25th anniversary edition.

15. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Hmm.... I have four copies:

The original Reprise US pressing.

A late 70's early 80's Chrysalis US vinyl re-issue (the worst of the lot).

The MOFI gold CD

and side 1 only on DCC "Original Masters" gold CD.

The MOFI sounds as good as the US Reprise - not spectacular, but "flat", no smiley EQ here. There is no digititus evident. I question the masters used - mostly because the begining of side 2 has much increased feel in "depth"; everything is a little louder and richer than it was at the end of side 1. Kinda like an lp where you have more "groove space" at the begining of a side compared to the end of a side.

The DCC sounds like a veil has been lifted off of the speakers - one I never knew was there. It's still not a title I would call demonstration quality, but it's the best I've heard it sound. The bottom end seems a bit tighter, the high's a little brighter - but all that stuff in the midrange just sounds richer (kinda like the difference between a Devil Dog and homemade chocolate layer cake, you won't know what your missing till you try the other).

I never heard any other of the CD issues - maybe the anniversary disc is worth a listen. I just got so turned off on that series after the anniversary edition of Aqualung that I never bothered..

16. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

The Anniversary/Aqualung was horrible but the special Anniversary of Thick As A Brick is very good. Worth seeking out for the sound as well as the collectibility of the item.

JohnG

17. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I've got to agree that the 25th Anniversary Aqualung is to be avoided at all costs. It's my favourite example of how not to remaster something, and, boy, does it make the DCC look amazing by comparison. It's still a mega-compressed, mediocre recording (.... what drums... Oh are they drums?)
    The 25th TAAB sounds good to me - the MoFi CD sounded duller than my memory of UK Chrysalis vinyl, whereas the 25th sounds a lot closer - it may, however, be a *little* bright. The packaging of the box version is excellent also.

18. snowman

snowman Forum Resident

What about the normal re-mastered versions of TAAB and Aqualung?? e.g NOT the 25th aniversary editions. I cannot seem to get hold of 25th aniversary editions, but the ordinary Chrysalis remasters are everywhere.

19. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

I would think that any new copy you buy at this point would have the same remastering as the 25 Anniversary editions--just make sure they include the bonus tracks. The anniversary editions had deluxe packaging as well.

20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The MOFI lp is out there for between 75.00 and 100.00 sealed.

I will have to do some comparisons and let you know my opinion.

21. krabapple

krabapple New Member

The 'normal' remasters are the same as the 25th Anniversary editions, sonically.
    Which is good news for TAAB but bad for Aqualung.

22. snowman

snowman Forum Resident

Thanks Krab.

23. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Thanks Tullman!

That's a bit above my pain threshold for media these days. I assume the prices you reference are through the Ebay bendover.

Chris

24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I listened to TAAB on three different cds and lp.

1. The Japanese mini lp was brighter with less definition than the other two. Still, this disc was a far cry better than the original release in the 80's. Packaging is first rate.

2. The 25th anniversery edition had better mids than the Japanese copy and had better detail. It was brighter than the MOFI but not too much so.

3. The MOFI edition was mastered 15 or so years before these other two. It had less gain than the other two and was not as bright sounding and yet had all of the detail of the 25th anniversery edition. It is kind of a toss up between the MOFI and the 25th anniversery edition, depending on what your play back equipment is and what your timbral taste is.

4.The MOFI lp was more like the 25th Anniversery addition than the MOFI cd. The vinyl was noise free and clean sounding, very nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.