Jethro Tull US LP's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SteveSDCA, Mar 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member Thread Starter

How good do the first US pressings of Jethro Tull's LP's sound? Especially Aqualung, Thick as a Brick, and Living in the Past (in that order of interest). Thanks for any info

2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

From what I can recall they sounded pretty good. I have a good US lp copy of benefit that blows away any cd I have heard to date. DCC's lp of Aqualung is the best out there.

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Agree with Tullman, especially if he has an early Reprise copy.

Actually, Benefit and Stand Up on Reprise sounds damn good. Same thing for TAAB, and Steve's Aqualung he did with Kevin is amazing.

4. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

TAAB exists in pretty good brown label Reprise pressings.

Generally the original UK Chrysalis or Island pressings are better, though the latter are getting pricey. I haven't seen a Reprise Passion Play, but then it's not one I look at that much..

Mike

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

The Reprise pressings will have the original "newspaper cover", which I still think is neat. How they tried to make a fold-down newspaper into an album cover was brave. All the humor and the little inside digs are still there. The Reprise vinyl is actually very good, but I haven't listened to Stan's cutting of the MFSL in quite some time. That's a nice pressing....

6. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Thick as a Brick was on Reprise, with a little Chrysalis added to the label if I recall correctly. From what I recall the sound quality was close to the British Chrysalis LP. THere were slight differences in the newspaper cover between the US and UK editions, to accomodate the different brands. When I got my UK LP, right when it came out, it had the best surface of any of my LPs - sadly, time has taken its toll, though it's still not bad - and it's a Porky Pecko (a Prime Cut).

I had the UK Island and US Reprise Benefits. The UK had a cleaner high end but absolutely no bass. The U.S. had a bit more bass, though still not much, and I think it's a better album overall. (The UK cutting had a misplaced banding that came in the middle of Son instead of at the end.)

Benefit, Acqualung (especially) and Thick as a Brick all suffered from a really serious lack of bass. I think they were just mixed that way, though. Sadly.

Some of the US Reprise Acqualung LPs are *missing* the first "DAH DAH DAH DAH DEEE DUM!".

A Passion Play came out on Chrysalis rather than Reprise. I think Living in the Past was the first US Chrysalis.

7. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

The UK Benefit is a flat transfer where as the US version has a lot more EQ'ing. So much so that it seems almost like a different mix. The vocals on the US are much more up front with some echo added. I actually perfer the US to the UK.

IMO the UK versions of This Was and Stand Up are miles better than the US versions. Sadly, although Steve's Aqualung is the best of all of them this is one album that a remix is in order for (there is a boot DTS cd floating around that was taken from the Quad R2R and is quite good). As for Living... the UK is better than the US but I would op for the MFSL CD. TAAB is very close between the US and UK.

All my opinions are in comparing 1st issue US(2 tone Reprise) vs 1st issue UK (Island & Chryslais) pressings.

8. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Side 1 of all US Reprise Benefits is OUT OF PHASE! Just listen to For Michael Collins, Jeffrey And Me. Besides severe inner groove distortion, the separation is completely diffuse, with weird bass & a VERY unstable center image. Now listen to the rock-solid UK Chrysalis or Island versions. All US Tull LPs are WAY inferior to their UK equivalents. If you could hear my rare 1st mix Island copy of This Was you would understand how horrible the US version is (same goes for the packaging---a, beautiful, thick laminated, flipback gatefold with NO writing on the cover whatsoever).

9. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Recording quality of JT albums took a dip with Benefit and Aqualung - no bass and Clive Bunker appears to have been recorded from next door. Thick as a Brick always sounded good to me, but there is a fair chunk of the first side with phased drums.
    I too thought the cover revamp on This Was cheesy - the original was reprinted (with Stand Up and Benefit) as mini-vinyl CD copies of the UK Island originals in "The Originals" box set - get it if you can for the album covers alone.

10. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Larry, I respectfully disagree with you. The U.S. and U.K Benefits do sound quite different, but my US Reprise is definitely not out of phase. The vocal is firmly planted in the center on MC, J & Me, and does not vanish when switched to mono as it would if it really was out of phase. There's not even any noticeable azimuth error.

And I really do think its an overstatement to say all US Tull LPs are WAY inferior.

John, the phased drums are done on purpose. It's an effect that I've always liked there.

11. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Steve,
    I've always liked that effect also. TAAB however has palled a little, as it was the only record played at any party I went to at that time and consequently, it spoiled it a little.
    I like the 25th Anniversary Edition of this, whereas the 25th Aqualung is one of the worst examples of overusage of NoNoise I've ever heard.
    Did any one elso get the copy with the thick cardboard slipcase and the newspaper (EMI's 100 years series)?

12. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I agree with Larry on "This Was" and "Stand UP" the original Islands are far Superior to the US Reprise. The first issue of "This Was" used a different mix that was very similar to the mono mix. Although I personally don't find the mix either better or worse than the second stereo mix it is different but the UK pressings of the first 2 albums are more dynamic and less compressed than the Reprise.

I stand by my opinion of Benefit, I agree with you Sgraham it is not out of phase the vocals are centered and much more up front.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.