Jimi Hendrix - a posthumous discography "redo"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by warewolf95, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ok, after being a lurker to this amazing site, I feel it's only fair to, as my first post, give you guys an optional yet alternate way to hear some Hendrix. :)

This thread is inspired by another thread I read several years ago (when I was but a lurker) in regards to First Rays Of The New Rising Sun.

Having seen others' mostly dislike of the release in comparison to War Heroes, The Cry Of Love, Rainbow Bridge, etc., I decided to have a listen to those albums myself.

Being only 19, I grew up with First Rays and always thought it appeared to be the most complete/essential of the posthumous albums in regards to tracks included. Welp, finding myself with my Hendrix discography ripped to my computer and a load of free time, I figured I'd try to see what about those "original" posthumous albums people preferred.

In addititon to that, I also took this as a chance to have a listen to the Alan Douglas albums. I never have heard one its "original" form and didn't intend on starting now. If I was going to hear them it would be on my terms using the original mixes/tracks (where available) with the occasional retooling of sequence or tracklisting so as not to double tracks with other releases.

I decided not to bother making myself a "War Heroes" for track duplication and preferential reasons. I did make myself a Rainbow Bridge and The Cry Of Love, however, and I think they both work GREAT as albums and I can't believe I ever enjoyed First Rays, haha

I know First Rays has loudness issues, but for me personally, I just used the corresponding tracks to the above two releases for simple convenience. Still, the bass in "Freedom" has spikes of glass all over it...

Also, in regards to the Douglas albums, I personally used my own vinyl rips and "filled in the blanks" in regards to replacing tracks where I could with their original versions. Midnight Lightning and Crash Landing are pretty enjoyable albums :) Loose Ends, though....the less said the better.

Using the following -

The Jimi Hendrix Experience Purple Box Set
    The Valleys Of Neptune
    South Saturn Delta
    First Rays
    People, Hell and Angels
    West Coast Seattle Boy

I have managed to make a very enjoyable "alternate" posthumous discography. With Rainbow Bridge,

For the most part, the albums tracklistings are as normal, with the exceptions being that oftentimes a track or two or three were moved to another album, etc. to not

A) repeat tracks
    B) provide a better chronological/historical flow to certain albums

I labeled each track on the aforementioned releases by date and removed duplicates (if there were any), that way I could have an organized look at everything so that when the "leftovers" were there after reassembling the Douglas and other albums, I could take a looksee at what was left, when it was from, and make use of the tracks in other ways.

Also, I personally eliminated South Saturn Delta and made 4 separate "period" albums using the material from that and the other aforementioned releases. The SSD material is there, its just spread over various albums.

Some material from The Valleys Of Neptune (specifically the 1988 overdubbed recordings and the February 1969 re-recorded tracks) were removed for consistency/personal preference

My whole reason for doing this is that I'm very fastidious in regards to organization and detail and If I'm gonna hear an outtakes compilation, I'd prefer it to represent one period cohesively rather than several haphazardly - I'm sure you can understand what I'm rambling on about :)

Anyways, I'm sure I've missed some things or two that I meant to mention, but, without meaning to boast, hearing this stuff is amazing and I am personally very proud of the "job" I managed to do to all of this. I took a lot of time sequencing things just right on the 4 "new" albums I made and also in regards to any tracks I added to/moved around on existing albums.

There are so many posthumous releases with tracks all over the place that I really wanted to just kinda tidy things up for my own listening pleasure/preference.

If anybody is interested in this at all I will gladly post the tracklistings (with the aforementioned recording dates) because this post is long enough already.

:)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    905, footlooseman, Hep Alien and 8 others like this.
  2. cryingbluerain

cryingbluerain Forum Resident

I for one be interested to see your tracklisting choices.

alchemy, footlooseman and warewolf95 like this.
  3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I read this entire post just to get to the end of it and then to Not see this track list? Lol!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  4. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Post it!!!!!!!!!!!!

And.....I'm sorry, but I grew up on Cry Of Love, so that track sequence is burned into my mind. I wish there was a killer sounding release of that. Even the vinyl I have is so so. I have 2 different Cd's that are ok at best.

1970, warewolf95 and johnsiddique like this.
  5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Cry of Love was originally a "RL" cut LP and sounds very good to great. Maybe you got a later one.

E.Baba and warewolf95 like this.
  6. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I bought it original in the day.

warewolf95 likes this.
  7. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

very interested in this thread.

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Maybe your system does not resolve properly? (Joke ok)

warewolf95 likes this.
  9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I agree with what you are saying and would like the posthumous material to be grouped like this, Experience tracks, Band of Gypsies tracks, Cox/Mitchell tracks and others in close to chronological order.

I also noticed you didn't include material from People, Hell And Angels. Any reason for this?

How about the single only b-sides? Are they included?

warewolf95 and OneStepBeyond like this.
  10. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

and vintage mixes (where available), or posthumous ones?

warewolf95 likes this.
  11. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Another, here. :agree: :righton:

warewolf95 likes this.
  12. Bring it on! :cool:

warewolf95 likes this.
  13. slane

slane Forum Resident

And here!

He did include it:

Hep Alien and warewolf95 like this.
  14. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

You are correct. I guess I just missed it when I scanned the list. It is too early and no coffee yet this morning. :uhhuh:

warewolf95 likes this.
  15. slane

slane Forum Resident

No 'Blues' on the list though....

John Fell likes this.
  16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Other than the sound quality, I like First Rays better than the Cry Of Love and I grew up with the Cry Of Love. The track listing for First Rays was probably closer to what Jimi had in mind for the album but still not perfect.

17. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Good point.

warewolf95 likes this.
  18. warewolf95

In the post I said that PHA was one of the albums :)

I also used those exclusive b-sides. Gotta have those full-length tracks, mate!

Also, I should clarify to everyone that I didn't include Blues, Scorsese, Burning Desire, 9TTU etc. because I meant to simply stick to the "actual studio albums", if you will

I did do those other albums for myself though and will gladly post the tracklistings for interest. I'm trying to remember whether or not I altered anything on "Blues" though....

19. BKarloff

BKarloff Forum Resident

Agree - the best tracks from Blues have to be included in any definitive list.

John Fell, slane and warewolf95 like this.
  20. warewolf95

Vintage mixes as available :)

qtrules likes this.
  21. warewolf95

Alright guys, I unfortunately don't have info saved as a text document I can simply copy and paste, etc, but I am going to post the tracklistings for all of you wonderful souls

If I can remember where a specific track came from, I will post so, but if not, every track is labeled by recording date and is available on the aforementioned (so you will probably be doing your own bit of work to find what tracks are from what releases as several tracks have alternate versions. Sorry! )

Give me a bit of time to type all this up in a txt document. Then I will upload that to another post

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    alchemy likes this.
  22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I've been doing this sort of thing for decades. Great fun!

23. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Actually, I'm working on a similar project.
    My idea is to make an anthology of sorts, called 'Jimi Hendrix' unfinished album 1970' or something. I haven't decided yet.
    The plan is to include, in chronological order, all finished mixes Jimi did before he passed. Then comes tracks he made rough mixes of, followed by Kramer, Mitchell and Jansen's posthumous mixes and ending with roughs and alternates.
    I have planned to make this collection for myself and then post the tracklist here.

24. warewolf95

That would be very cool :)

25. warewolf95

Ok everybody, I've typed out all the info regarding the tracklisting, but, since it would be a wall of text, should I just make a new thread specifically for that and carry on the discussion over there?

Im new, so I'm trying to display proper etiquette before posting all over the place, haha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.