Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Off:
    1st, not "everybody" likes it & 2nd not everybody [that does] likes it "so much".
    A few elements that garner attention:
    Energy
    Humor
    Lead Guitar 'Matching' Vocal [start]
    'Screaming' Lead Guitar [later]
    Bass
    Percussion
    Production Layers

YMDoesV
    [no prob]

:angel:

905 likes this.
  2. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I have been away from the thread for some time and my how it has grown. Don't have time to go thru all the pages but I'll give my take on it. I like this album! Out of the 3 I like VON best but I like this a bit better than PH&A. I really like this version of "Lover Man" and it's great to have (another) studio version of "Power Of Soul" (a huge improvement over over the Crash Landing version but I like that one too -- but this one is better). I could do without the Stills songs but those were an enjoyable listen as well (I had never heard $20 Fine, any version). Good to hear some BOG studio tracks, I really like Buddy's power drumming. This will definitely be getting some more spins (and I need to go ahead and pick up VON on vinyl even though I have it on CD).

I ordered from Amazon and it is numbers, I can't remember but it is a lower number, I think 207 (not that it really matters - when I bought "Freedom" at FYE on vinyl it was # 5000. I think that's cooler than having #1! I got the last number and of all places in Panama City, FL!).

Former Lee Warmer likes this.
  3. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

Since this thread just got bumped and I am sure that this title has been mentioned more than once, there's some good news RE:Morning Symphony ideas.

This title on cd has been recently re-released on 4/27/2018.
    Used cd copies were pricey!!!
    Here's the best price I've seen: ($12.68)

https://www.deepdiscount.com/morning-symphony-ideas/886976339425

4. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Strange that this was re-released on Sony Legacy and not on Dagger Records.

DTK and Fox67 like this.
  5. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Hmm...could the quiet migration have begun? It's not listed on Amazon though.

DTK and Purple Jim like this.
  6. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Cope_Freeland likes this.
  7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Oh man... I couldn't find sellers from Germany offering this. Looks like it's available only in the US (yet).

8. J.Lucas

J.Lucas Forum Resident

CD is really the only way to go with this particular release as the vinyl release doesn't even include the main title song...the 21mt Scorpio Woman 'Morning Symphony Ideas(would that even fit on one side of an LP?....almost like the 'Hendrix in The West' is best served with the original LP due to it having the 2 Albert Hall tracks(Little Wing, Voodoo Child)
    not sure if the original was ever released on CD tho'.

9. John Harchar

Not in the US but there were a couple of overseas releases (I think we were talking about a West German version in another thread)

10. J.Lucas

J.Lucas Forum Resident

Ok...I just found on, from a Polydoe/Japan
    1972a - Hendrix In The West [Japan, Polydor P20P-22009] (1989)
    it's was made in '89 tho'...and it as the LP sides reversed...starts with Johnny B Goode instead of the Queen
    that album was supposed to be a kind of Hendrix concert....starting with the opener from Isle of Wight...then closing the concert with Voodoo Child....can't understand why they would reverse it...doesn't make sense that way...
    I think I remember reading somewhere that there were some LP's that had it reversed also.
    ---
    it was in a 19 CD download....I was looking for that Axis:Bold As Love DIDX-1717 version which I read was the best sounding CD of that.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Former Lee Warmer likes this.
  11. CURPLES

CURPLES Forum Resident

Ordered this as soon as I saw this post, was expected to ship in 2-4 weeks. Almost 6 weeks now and no shipping notice yet and still says will ship in 2-4 weeks. Did anyone on here that ordered it actually receive it? Just curious. Thanks.

12. J.Lucas

J.Lucas Forum Resident

sounds like the old scam....I'd cancel(if you still can)
    I once ordered the 'Ultimate Lyrics' book from the amazon.uk....really low price
    same thing...2-4 weeks delivery....when contacted it said it was shipped...
    so I waited another 2 weeks...never came...contacted amazon and got it refunded.

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

listened to 'both sides of the sky' today....the first time since i bought it back in march.

i thought it was horrible then, but feared crucifixion so i kept quiet.

it is worse than i originally thought.

a sonic mess and a mish-mash of guitar solos that i know i've heard before in other songs.

will it ever stop?

unclefred, DTK and Purple Jim like this.
  14. J.Lucas

J.Lucas Forum Resident

EH has released all 3 versions of 'Power Of Soul'
    (I don't consider the 'hack' of 'With The Power' on Crash landing as a version.)
    1st released was the 2001 Kramer remaster on 'South Saturn Delta'
    2nd was the Jan 21 1970 Bob Hughes mix--- B-side of the 'Somewhere' single
    3rd is the Hendrix Aug 1970 mix --Both Sides of The Sky
    ---
    the Hughes mix has the least overdubbed, echo and also has some variation in the lyrics.
    all versions stem from the Jan 1970 recording session.
    --
    there are also a few 'unofficial' releases on various bootlegs.

kees1954 and Purple Jim like this.
  15. John Harchar

I actually just listened to it yesterday. The one thing it has is the first “yeah yeah”s in the backing vocals. However was it first due to mixing or heavy editing? Likely the second.

kees1954 likes this.
  16. J.Lucas

J.Lucas Forum Resident

Jimi Hendrix – Both Sides of the Sky
    Guitar Recorded version
    Hal Leonard
    22.99 (US)
    Inventory #HL 00275044
    ISBN: 9781540025975
    UPC: 888680742379
    Width: 6.75"
    Length: 10.5"
    216 pages
    Hal Leonard Online

kees1954 and ~dave~~wave~ like this.
  17. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Yes! Nice to know I am not alone here. The full band Midnight Lightning with is one of the best studio performances by the COL lineup. Every bit as crucial to First Rays as Hey Baby. The fact that it hasn't been released after 20 years does not compute.....did it get passed over in favor of another mix of Georgia Blues?

18. kees1954

kees1954 Forum Resident

Only thing I liked on the Alan Douglas LP were the overdubbed female backing vocals (I have to admit)

unclefred and Maidenpriest like this.
  19. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Chris ...
    What year was Midnight Lighting (full band version) recorded?

20. Chris M

DrBeatle and ranasakawa like this.
  21. John Harchar

They do a better job here than what they were given to do on Crash Landing, but the “Stoop Downs!” are really silly.

kees1954 likes this.
  22. John Harchar

Really kind of ridiculous at this point that we don’t have either the original one from the Douglas album or another one (has it been established which one Jimi mixed in August? I’d go with that one, whichever it is).

kees1954 likes this.
  23. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

One of the things I hated the most about the Douglas mash-ups!

DrBeatle and kees1954 like this.
  24. Chris M

I don't think any 8/70 mixes circulate but I would think it was the 'two old maids' lyric as it is the last version recorded as well the only with vocals.

kees1954 likes this.
  25. John Harchar

Not sure if I’ve heard the 7/1 version, it’s one of Jimi’s best studio days and I wonder if the vibe from Dolly, Hey Baby and even Beginning carried over.

Maybe they could take the lyrics from the late one and...nah!

Purple Jim and kees1954 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.