Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

There are several boots that claim to have recordings from that session. They are usually listed as
    "Send My Love To Linda" (Takes 1,2,3). Although that doesn't really match the session described
    in the Ultimate Hendrix book. What is said to be takes 1 & 2 are solo Jimi. Probably him laying out
    the song structure for Billy and Buddy. Take 3 is probably the first band take. It goes on for 6-7
    minutes and ends in a jam. That matches the description of what is called take 1 in UH.

Purple Jim, Dodoz and Hep Alien like this.
  2. cryingbluerain

cryingbluerain Forum Resident

Can't imagine how confusing these Legacy releases are for new Hendrix fans. I've been a diehard Jimi fan for 35 years and I still get confused by the chronology. Albums like "Both Sides Of The Sky" are kind of an odds n sods collection. Experience Hendrix markets these songs as "lost gems."

It would make more sense if their trilogy had included a 4th Experience album, a Band Of Gypsys studio album and a sequel to "First Rays" featuring leftover tracks from the Electric Lady sessions. I'd prefer cohesive compilations instead of albums featuring 3 different lineups and guest vocalists.

They should release a separate "Guest Appearances" album too. More than enough material was available. Luckily we can always make our own compilations. They don't make it easy though.

3. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Not going to buy into this newly invented 'Trilogy' any further.
    Not going to buy into any more carp creations.
    Not soaking up dregs when it could be Albert Hall.

pinkrudy likes this.
  4. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I have mentioned that before as well. Jumping between years and sidemen on the same release is a little disconcerting at times especially if it isn't arranged chronologically.

cryingbluerain and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Back in 1986 I had a copy of both of those LP's with their funky covers. Believe it or not, back then in the UK, you could not buy Are You Experienced, Axis: Bold As Love or Cry Of Love brand new! Those compilations kept me going for a year or so until they reissued all the "four original albums" a little later. Of course, for many years in the pre-internet age I (mis)understood that Cry Of Love was Jimi's last official album.

Hep Alien and Dodoz like this.
  6. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I'm not surprised. Many people don't remember the drop in popularity Jimi had before the great big late 80s/early 90s "comeback".

I first heard Jimi through a very random radio special...I would have LOVED to have something like "The Legendary Jimi Hendrix" as an introduction. Very good introduction IMO, nice song selection. This one would have been nice as well.

Jimi Hendrix - The Best Of Jimi Hendrix

DTK, Imagine70, SteveM and 1 other person like this.
  7. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Agree strongly with this. The biggest hole in the Hendrix discography is a Band of Gypsies studio album. With BOG Hendrix had found a new funkier rock and R & B direction with more socially conscious songs and was producing some great work. A more stripped down approach with less overdubbing served the music well before he started tinkering with guitar overdub after overdub (and drum part replacements) which marred the same material for First Rays with Mitch back in the band. There are still early mixes of First Rays material with the original Buddy drum parts that would be welcome releases in a BOG studio album, the BOG single sides, and the other BOG tracks scattered amongst this "trilogy" and in the JHE box set and Blues and Dagger BOG rehearsals- more than enough for a single CD release of all first rate material that might prompt critics and fans to reevaluate the whole BOG project as one of the peaks of Jimis recording career and of his guitar playing.

8. Picture Snatcher

Picture Snatcher Forum Residents

Wayne have you heard them?

9. Picture Snatcher

See I would so much rather have this than Albert Hall.

Dodoz likes this.
  10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

EH is not concerned with cohesion and organization. After 20 years, EH has made it clear that its philosophy is to slowly issue drips and drabs of material -- it is more concerned with keeping the archives stocked so that it can release material in perpetuity to fund its salaries, operations, and family trust. And while there have been some nice releases over that span of time, ultimately, Jimi's artistic legacy is a secondary concern.

11. Picture Snatcher

The two versions of Linda I know are the one with the "ok can you turn down the guitar a little bit" and the other one that starts with that intro riff with the real reverbed guitar. I think the second one has the "can I whisper in your ear, tell you things you want to hear". I think this is the best hendrix song by miles and miles. Even the rhythm of the way Jimi plays the first note, on the version without the intro, and then the riff at the end of the first verse that leads into the chorus! Hot!

12. I've only ever heard the demo. It's on my Lifelines CD set in an incomplete take. Where can I find or hear the "band version"?

13. Picture Snatcher

Both of the versions I'm talking about are demos so thats why this is confusing

SteveM likes this.
  14. Picture Snatcher

I think the intro one is on the cherokee mist bootleg. This boot says it has 3 versions, who has it that can explain? [​IMG]

Hep Alien and SteveM like this.
  15. Reposted 'cause it is so true based on EVERY action they have taken since their formation.

DTK, Imagine70, Smokin Chains and 2 others like this.
  16. Picture Snatcher

17. Picture Snatcher

As far as I'm concerned that one is in the can, and it fades out so how much more is there?

18. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I made an attempt to list all B-side only tracks in this post: Jimi Hendrix - Somewhere 7" Single Question
    (The last single on the list is a mistake and shouldn't have been included.)

Dodoz and Hep Alien like this.
  19. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Thanks, but those are not among them - but I'll update all with full details as the time comes. Since I'm now holding out to include Both Sides of the Sky, I'll have plenty of time to develop the book's website.

Like most of us, I suspected the Maui project was likely to emerge, but when ExpH missed Jimi's significant-number birthday this year - which would have been the perfect time to announce a new release - I was forced to assume there was nothing coming soon. Then on a seemingly random December day they announce Both Sides - the timing really makes no sense, but I'm glad I was able to react to it.

shepherdfan and Hep Alien like this.
  20. Wayne Hubbard

Here are three band takes of "Send My Love To Linda" that have been floating around on boots for years.
    Recording date unknown. Ignore the Stills-Taylor Jam and Live and Let live in the title that
    is another recording. I'll post that next

Hep Alien, Picture Snatcher and Dodoz like this.
  21. Wayne Hubbard

This is the from the Woodstock jam with Stephen Stills.

It would be interesting if that is what EH releases on "Both Sides Of The Sky" without Leary's rambling on it

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Thanks for posting. It will be very interesting to hear what the deal is with the vocal. Is there a full-band vocal take in the vaults or did they fly it in from a demo?

23. Picture Snatcher

holy smokes wayne I never heard that one before. Do you have any clue how long the Cherokee Mist version after its cut off

24. Wayne Hubbard

That is the question. The January 16, 1970 versions are described in "Ultimate Hendrix" as being guided
    by Jimi's vocal and guitar. The takes I posted have been labeled as being from both Jan '70 and May '70
    on boots. Jimi still had the song as part of his list for "First Rays" when he died. It's on the list he made
    in August '70 when he had titled the album "Straight Ahead". The only documented session is the Jan '70
    one with Billy and Buddy. There may be a unknown session after that since the song was still on Jimi's
    mind in August. There is also "Send My Love To Joan Of Arc" from Black Gold. Tony Brown's notes say
    it has the same chords as "Linda"

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Something fishy going on here?

Re: “Linda” and “Cherokee Mist”, I have versions on this set:
    Live & Unreleased: The Radio Show - Wikipedia
    Are the new ones different?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.