Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

In the case of Room Full of Mirrors/Shame Shame Shame, Mitch and Noel didn't actually play on the original track, only Rocky on congas. In the othet cases it is strange indeed that the overdubbed versions were used.

Dodoz and Hep Alien like this.
  2. Yazid Manou

Yazid Manou Forum Resident

3. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Amplifiers too!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    Dodoz, Olompali, tedhead and 6 others like this.
  4. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Sharon Lawrence book said that the Olympic tapes ended up with Chas until he died. EH negotiated with his widow and used a couple tracks on WCSB and maybe the Purple Box Bold As Love alternate take.

Purple Jim likes this.
  5. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

West Coast Seattle Boy 8LP box is now OOP.
    BEAVE

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

My guess would be that (unless the masters of the original non-overdubbed versions are lost or no longer exist) they'll release the undubbed versions later. Since they probably need to ration what remains in the vault, it would make sense to release the less desirable version(s) first (if its true that they intend to eventually release both dubbed and undubbed versions).

"Previously unreleased original performances" has a much better ring to it than "previously unreleased 1980s overdubbed versions."

If they never intend to release the original undubbed versions, then sure - that would be quite strange.

But holding them back as "hooks" for a future collection totally makes sense (from a business perspective anyway)

footlooseman, davenav and DTK like this.
  7. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

what were them Sotherbys Reels that the bootlegs copied?

8. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

So Eddie Kramer is going to play more tracks on the BBC tonight ?
    Any idea where ?

9. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Track times, according to Google Play: (I don´t know if this was in Yazid´s post, as I can´t access Photobucket)

1 Mannish Boy 5:01
    2 Lover Man 3:03
    3 Hear My Train a Comin' 7:25
    4 Stepping Stone 3:12
    5 $20 Fine 4:59
    6 Power of Soul 5:55
    7 Jungle 3:28
    8 Things I Used to Do 3:41
    9 Georgia Blues 7:55
    10 Sweet Angel 3:54
    11 Woodstock 5:19
    12 Send My Love to Linda 4:36
    13 Cherokee Mist 7:01

Jimi Hendrix: Both Sides of the Sky - Music on Google Play

Hep Alien, Pete Puma and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I think you are right. Thinking about it more it is worse. Little One is an original Hendrix composition recorded at the start of the EL sessions. Neither Chas nor Noel had anything to do with it. Jimi wrote the song, produced the session, played bass and had Dave Mason and Mitch to play on it. While unfinished a lot of work went into it. Two 4T reduction mixes, lots of overdub attempts..with this in mind Chas removed Jimi's bass, both lead guitar tracks, Mitch's drums, Mason's sitar, acoustic guitar, percussion and background vocal shouts. He had Noel rewrite the song as his own changing the title and writing new lyrics for Mitch(!) to sing. Noel and Mitch added new (tepid) bass and drums completing the musical necrophilia. A total lack of respect for Jimi's art. From those who one would think would respect it the most.

When EH finally released the track they included Noel's Iran Contra era pirate lyrics sung by Mitch. No mention in the liner notes that the song was written by Jimi.

Ditto for Cat Talking To Me. I still can't believe EH put that out on Valleys Of Neptune.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  11. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Um, Things I Used to Do is around 7 minutes, that time is about the same as the one on the radio show. And Linda looks closer to the Heaven Has No Sorrow time. On the other hand, the Cherokee Mist and Power of Soul times are the full ones.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  12. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Yep, which is why you could make an argument it was worse than what Douglas did

13. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Nah, it's Eddie Murphy doin' Mohammed Ali :rolleyes::laugh:

DrBeatle likes this.
  14. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I think Yazids' link said that it was BBC Radio 6 tonight between 7pm and midnight?

A message to all here: DO NOT USE PHOTOBUCKET (junk site).

EVOLVIST likes this.
  15. Promax

Promax Well-Known Member

[Mod: - Please re-post the link and identify the artists and title - thanks - helps the search engine]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2018
  16. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

It was at 9 AM local UK time.
    I taped it.PM if you want it.

Purple Jim likes this.
  17. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

18. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Sounds very much like the "Blues" recording; either it is one of the version used as part of the "Blues" composite, or an outtake from the same session. We will figure it out eventually.

Roberto899 and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. slane

slane Forum Resident

On first listen, I don't think anything from this version is from the Blues version/take.

Except maybe the guitar solo. Douglas must have flown in the guitar solo for his version, as the rhythm guitar continues underneath. This new take could be where he got the solo from.

21. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I don't think this has been posted yet:

Jimi Hendrix Collaborators on Assembling Guitarist's Long-Awaited New LP

In case it's region locked...

Jimi Hendrix Collaborators on Assembling Guitarist's Long-Awaited New LP
    With a fresh batch of lost recordings due this spring, Stephen Stills and engineer Eddie Kramer reflect on Hendrix's studio genius

The last two years of Jimi Hendrix's life were a time of constant change. After releasing a final studio album, 1968's Electric Ladyland, the Jimi Hendrix Experience broke up, and the guitarist faced litigation over a contract he'd signed before he was famous. To fulfill the terms of the agreement, he put out the 1970 live outing Band of Gypsys with a new lineup of musicians. It would be the last LP he'd release before his death later that year, despite having stockpiled stacks of tapes for a new studio album.

Much of the music he tracked in the late Sixties has come out on posthumous albums, beginning with 1971's The Cry of Love, which contained songs that Hendrix had mixed with his go-to engineer Eddie Kramer. Since the mid-Nineties, Kramer and Hendrix's estate have painstakingly trawled the vaults for previously unreleased gems. They issued the first of three compilations, Valleys of Neptune, in 2010 and followed it up with People, Hell and Angels three years later. Now they've slated a final volume, Both Sides of the Sky – which highlights the many changes in Hendrix's working life as he played with different configurations of musicians between 1968 and 1970 – for a March release.

Beginning with "Mannish Boy," a bluesy rocker that finds Hendrix singing along with his lead guitar lines, the record shows how much fun he was having at the time. In a rendition of "Lover Man," a speedy tune he was fooling around with since at least 1967's Are You Experienced, he interpolates the theme from TV's Batman. And on a country-inflected take on "Stepping Stone," the last single he released in his lifetime, he plays catcalls and schoolyard taunts on his guitar in between lyrics.

"Imagine Jimi doing a take and when everything falls apart, he'd start playing the Batman or Peter Gunn theme without missing a beat," Kramer says. "He'd do something really silly and stupid and everybody would be cracking up. He wanted to keep it light. He'd also do it to change it up a bit and inevitably those lines would work themselves into songs, and that's Jimi's sly humor."

Elsewhere, the album features Hendrix's collaborations with Johnny Winter, Lonnie Youngblood and Stephen Stills. With the latter, Hendrix played sideman on an upbeat, organ-saturated, pre–Déjà Vu rendition of Joni Mitchell's "Woodstock." Stills looks back fondly on the day he recorded "Woodstock" with Hendrix. It was late 1969, and the musicians were at the New York studio the Record Plant. At one point, Hendrix picked up a bass and they started playing the song. "I wanted to see what would happen playing that with him," Stills says. "He was just the gentlest guy. Watching him play was like watching the greatest athlete you ever saw, like Julius Irving or Muhammad Ali. It was unbelievable. He taught me to quit thinking and let it happen."

Many of the songs are alternate takes of tunes Hendrix fans already know, but they provide context and new insights into his process in his final years. "I have had the good fortune of being able to listen to everything in the vault and I got the sense that some of these songs trace back to '67 and he was still working on them," co-producer John McDermott says. "Jimi really tried to be whittling down songs, working hard to refine things. There was a constant evolution of the content."

At the time of his death, most of the recordings on Both Sides of the Sky were unfinished by Hendrix's standards. "He probably would have revisited it and said, 'I can do that better,'" Kramer says. "He was never satisfied." But he says that doesn't undersell the brilliance of the music on Both Sides. Pointing to "Cherokee Mist" – a feedback-infused instrumental with an elastic melody that features Hendrix on sitar as well as guitar – he says, "At the very end, there's that incredible sound that he's getting out of his amplifier. It just sounds like a beast that got loose in the studio. It's primitive and wonderful."

As Hendrix would make each new recording, it would be logged and stored at his own Electric Lady Studios, which he opened in August 1970. "Electric Lady had this enormous wall of closets, and most of them were full of tapes, and only Jimi and I had the keys," Kramer recalls. "We'd say, 'Let's get this pile out and go through it.' He had these legal pads, and as we listened he would write down precisely what the instruments should be doing." But before they could finish the album, Hendrix died while on tour in Europe that September.

Even though Electric Lady was open for only a short time, Kramer has vivid memories of working on music there with Hendrix. The sessions would be like performances in and of themselves: Hendrix would be handling the faders for the guitar and vocals, and Kramer would be leaping around the console trying to keep it all together. "After we faded down, we'd collapse laughing," he says. It was that experience, both having fun with Hendrix and learning what he wanted from a mix, that has provided the template for how Kramer has mixed all of Hendrix's posthumous releases.

Now Both Sides of the Sky may be the last word on Hendrix in the studio. "It is hard to say if this is it," McDermott says. "With Jimi, there is always hope that there is a cache of tapes somewhere out there that would really be great. God only knows what he would have done if he had lived. He just loved to record and create."

supermd, kees1954, dee and 5 others like this.
  22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yes, that "Mannish Boy" is very close to the "Blues" version. A loose studio bash with ad-libbed vocals and cold, unimaginative, flat, metronome drumming (as usual) from Muddy Biles, which sends Jimi nowhere but round in circles. That just ain't funky. Do y'all understand why Jimi described Mitch as his funky drummer and Miles as his rock drummer? I know I do.

23. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Doesn't say..."Buy Me!!!!!" does it??

jhm, SteveM and Purple Jim like this.
  24. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

No but let's not judge the album on the strength of that one track. We live in hope.

cber1517, Matthew Tate and Pete Puma like this.
  25. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I've only pre-ordered it for the Stills collaborations......anything else that's decent would be a bonus.

Matthew Tate and DTK like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.