Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

The YouTube posting has this noted as the first single from the album, what'll be on the B-side? Another unreleased song we'll like better? ;)

2. I'm looking forward to Cherokee Mist in better fidelity than the boot versions. I like Jimi's sound experiments.

Matthew Tate, DTK, Purple Jim and 3 others like this.
  3. Rudi

Rudi Forum Resident

Is this the final mix? Sounds like it's mono. The Blues version is much more spacious sounding.

4. Cope_Freeland

Cope_Freeland Forum Resident

Will there be a Target store version with bonus track and a Wal-Mart exclusive single non-album b-side?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Absolutely!

Purple Jim likes this.
  6. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Cope_Freeland

Cope_Freeland Forum Resident

Getting the Wal-Mart single for "Valleys Of Neptune" was quick and easy. Getting the single for "Somewhere" required me going to five different stores. I kind of hope that they don't do Target and Wal-Mart exclusives this time. They don't really carry CDs anymore anyway.

8. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I think the bricks and mortar bonus single disc is no longer a viable marketing option. Probably a download only this time around.

A long shot would be a Best Buy exclusive, but I don' t expect that will happen either.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

"Mannish Boy" is on Spotify if you want to hear
    somewhat better quality than the YouTube video.

10. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Was just going to post the same, here is a Spotify direct link as well: Mannish Boy

Spotify also has some of those "single/bonus only" tracks, like "12 Bar With Horns", "Peace In Mississippi", shame they aren't all available that way.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    cryingbluerain likes this.
  11. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

RSD in April can still move Hendrix 45 singles.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Well that was exactly as expected; another hatchet job from the failed Mannish Boy recording. Very similar to but maybe not as good as the Blues version. Nonplussed. Keep 'em coming.

jhm and James5001 like this.
  13. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Oh so you're on Yazid's facebook too?

Purple Jim likes this.
  14. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

Not a great taste tester lol barrel scraping 101

DTK likes this.
  15. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

that will be the best track on the album, otherwise they wouldn't have pushed it out first. the single is always meant to be the best track. i listened on my phone ealier. is there any bass on it?

16. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

I find it...curious....that people are enjoying these releases. I thought the first two were completely dismal. Not a single track that I enjoyed.

Not to be a party pooper, but this stuff is crap. (see what i did there?)

Maidenpriest likes this.
  17. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

not true at all. without knowing any marketing strategy I will never says that the reason a song is released as the first single is because its always the best track on the album. for instance def leppard released "women" as the first single from hysteria and not only is it not the best track on the album its not even the best single from the album.

jhm likes this.
  18. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Really enjoyed the sample I heard of Mannish Boy. Kramer works the sound really well [yes, mp3 and only through the TV speakers but it already has me hooked!].

I didn't expect to be as pleased as I was as this song is generally uninspiring plus the full session outs are a little mind numbing after one listen!

Looking forward to getting this to a HiFi near me for a "better" listen.

I wont pre-judge this release, I'll leave that to others to do as its become a good hobby for some!
    The previous two [in this trilogy, funny how we only hear of it as a trilogy with the LAST???? release] have some fine material on them though the set lists and edits to some tracks is highly dubious.

kees1954, Roberto899, Fox67 and 2 others like this.
  19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

That sample track isn't by Hendrix. It's by Jimmy Kravitz. Look at the photo on the album cover!

Lownote30, 905, Cokelike- and 2 others like this.
  20. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

You really find Band of Gypsies' Hear My Train, Earth Blues and Bleeding Heart... dismal? Or Hear My Train from April 1969? Easy Blues from Gypsy Sun isn't a bit fun? Crash Landing vs Freedom?
    You may be right, it may be dismal, but I sure enjoy them. I mean, it's no Schubert last quartet, for sure, but what do you expect from posthumous Hendrix release, after 50 years?
    You cannot listen to them with the same mindset you would have for finished album.

21. Or in vain hope?

Yep, it sounds c**p to me too!

It might be the best but we can vainly hope for better.

There have been a few gems on the last two but god knows I think they should stop releasing these albums now.

As was the abysmal, clueless sequencing and disgraceful marketing hoopla.

Agree generally.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

True, however the discussion was about a CD single.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

The Mannish Boy is basically what I expected. I've heard the whole session so whatever came out was not going to be a surprise. I'm wondering what might have better to lead with. Probably the only other track that would've been of real interest and something most people hadn't heard was Linda. But maybe they're saving that, figuring that's the thing people are really looking forward to and don't want to give it away. Otherwise, everything else is of varying interest: another version of Lover Man or Train may be really good but it's nothing earth-shaking. The Stills songs may be interesting but they're just jams in the end. Power of Soul has been out before, as has Georgia Blues and Things I Used To Do. Maybe the Stepping Stone they have on here.

After hearing it, I'm also thinking why aren't we going with a take of Midnight Lightning with the band, Lower Alcatraz (or ML2/Keep On Groovin') or the GSR version of Jam Back at the House/Beginning? I'd prefer they clean up what's missing from the back catalog in its (somewhat) original form. Does anybody think another box set may be in the offing? The purple box was 2000, WCSB was 2010, something for 2020? Not sure there's enough that's not long form jams to fill up 4 more CDs, but I'd like to be wrong on that.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  24. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

I like this version of "Mannish Boy." It's got a relaxed swing to it and I can definitely hear it as the lead off track from the album.

I don't know what everybody's bitching about. It's this or nothing.

Crungy, Roberto899, MikeInFla and 5 others like this.
  25. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Also, so many hours and hours of Hendrixian ideas could and will be left to dust and dissolve.
    Yes, so much is booted but to "officiate" the music allows more accessibility and less grey area restrictions for streaming, podcasts and internet, terrestrial and satellite radio.

Pete Puma likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.