Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

Conspiracy theory is that Janie won't release it because Jimi mentions a daughter in one of the songs.

I'd love to hear it, it's possible there's overdubbed guitars and things. Alan Douglas said he setup a 4 track for Jimi at his apartment to record it but who knows what survived.

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

That is certainly one of the conceivable issues, but EH does not have to release "Black Gold" in its entirety and can omit "Little Red Velvet Room" if Janie is that concerned with having Tami's name mentioned in a song (an edit/release strategy that would likely have the fan-base up in arms). EH clearly does not want to release too much material; they seem to want to keep various recordings in the archives, possibly as a bargaining chip for distribution negotiations, and the "Black Gold Suite" might be one of those recordings they want to put aside. That said, if it is mostly an acoustic demo/sketch, one has to question its commercial viability on its own. I suspect that if there is another box set issued, a larger sampling of "Black Gold" will be released, but I have my doubts that the entire recording will be released.

3. Imagine70

Imagine70 Forum Resident

Their failure to put out a '67 copyright extension set is baffling. As predicted there is already an EU Public Domain '66/67 Unreleased Sessions' CD coming out at the end of this month, with more to follow no doubt.

I note that in the new Uncut (April 2018) Eddie Kramer says his focus will now be on live recordings:

4. PacificOceanBlue

Agreed. It was the perfect time to release expansive reissues of "AYE" and "Axis" to coincide with the '67 copyright timeline. While EH does not like to release too much from one session at one time, their hand was forced and they should have done something. I would love to have official "AYE" and "Axis" sessions releases.

5. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Oh just imagine box sets for every album BOG too. I wonder what they have in the vaults...

6. Picture Snatcher

Picture Snatcher Forum Residents

Instead we get Hendrixstein

Maidenpriest likes this.
  7. Picture Snatcher

Picture Snatcher Forum Residents

I'm pretty stoked on the Batman theme that's some Link Wray/Sun Ra "crap" right there

8. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

9. kees1954

kees1954 Forum Resident

Matthew Tate and jhm like this.
  10. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Wow, that sounds REALLY good! Sounds even better than the one on VoN (wish the PHA one was complete, the solo on that one is amazing too). It's funny he really didn't try it at Electric Lady.

Edit: Here's the full version

Guitar's a little too hot, it overwhelms the vocals. But yeah, it is angry.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  11. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Totally agree...WOW! Can you say "worth the price of admission" :D? Seriously, I never get tired of this song. Can you imagine if this languished in the vaults for all time? I just don't get how things like that sat around for YEARS when they were first cobbling things together for posthumous releases, particularly after Rainbow Bridge :crazy:. Thanks for the post @crozcat !

Matthew Tate and kees1954 like this.
  12. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Maybe Target will have the exclusive bonus track edition, like it did with PHA.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I haven’t read this entire thread - is there really going to be a Target bonus track version in-store?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

No word yet.
    I personally doubt it, as Target is planning on selling music CDs only under a consignment basis, which means that they are not going to invest in the selling of CDs anymore.

Info on Best Buy and Target, with regard to CDs in general:
    Best Buy will stop selling CDs as digital music revenue continues to grow

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

It's the end of an era. :cry:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. PacificOceanBlue

In some ways it is. For the most part, Best Buy has had very little inventory over the past few years and the prices are typically no longer competitive, but during the 1990's, a lot of Best Buy locations had very good inventory (I remember see rare titles and imports often) and offered very good pricing. As much as I frequented Tower during the CD boom era, I acquired a lot of product at Best Buy as well. Best Buy stayed in the game a lot longer than it probably should have, but regardless of how its CD business fizzled out in the end, there was a time when many Best Buy stores had a nice CD retail operation.

905, Matthew Tate and jsayers like this.
  18. I certainly do'n
    I swear I remember occasionally finding a Japanese imports of Miles Davis albums (not yet issued stateside) in Best Buy, in about 1991/92 (before those same titles came out here in 93 or so).

Not that there was a ton of crazy stuff at Best Buy, but more than occasionally some off the beaten track stuff would be there (admittedly by really big name artists).

PacificOceanBlue and jsayers like this.
  19. Hard to be knocked over by any new version of "Hear My Train..." (no matter how good it is), but the glass is certainly well more than half full - at least on this one track.

I like (or rather, 'I certainly don't dislike') "Hear My Train..." - in terms of the quality of the tune. But it's been on a LOT of Hendrix records over the years. And I'm nowhere near as drawn to it as perhaps 2 dozen other Hendrix originals, maybe even 3 dozen (come to think of it).

So I'm glad this new version is really good, which hopefully is indicative of most of the rest of the album.

kees1954, Matthew Tate and jsayers like this.
  20. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Amazon UK has it listed as a one cd released, Feb 28th but no details at all on the net about it..
    Beave

905 and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I saw this posted over on Imwan (by ericsen), so I'm reposting here. It's the ENTIRE Hear My Train 'A Comin' from BSotS:

22. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I should add that my theory regarding this song has been validated. I postulated some time ago that this would be the version that Alan Douglas patched onto the Band Of Gypsys version we got on "People Hell & Angels" in his early (but ultimately rejected) version of :Blues way back in 1994.

kees1954 and crozcat like this.
  23. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I think it's because it's one of the tracks that just kept eluding him in the studio, whereas a number of live version were top notch (Winterland, BoG, Berkeley). I didn't think there was anything wrong with releasing the one from VoN as is instead of what AD did to it on Midnight Lightning. The Olympic version is OK but more of a jam to get warmed up for RAH than a real attempt at recording it. The last two are very fierce with great solos but have flaws that make them less than optimal (incompleteness on the PHA one, either a too hot guitar or too low vocals on the new one). Lover Man is the other one that we keep getting new versions of (again on this album!), I don't see what was wrong with the one on the purple box that it wasn't released sooner.

dee and jhm like this.
  24. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I agree. The "purple box" version of Hear My Train has been my favorite studio version up to now, but it may have just been surpassed :righton:!

Matthew Tate and Purple Jim like this.
  25. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.