Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

ive just stuck PH&A on and its quite good. i have to be in the right mindset for these collections. my Favourite Hendrix album is Axis... so nothing Posthumous lives up to it really. but they are interesting in their own right. I'm glad they get released.

i just wish one day ill get Experienced, axis, ladyland deluxe sets.. i can wait

2. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

So do we think we're going to get a full album stream of this one a week or two before release?

3. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Don´t know, but wouldn´t it (business-wise) be smarter to release the physical product a week or two before a full stream...?

4. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

NPR doesn't think so, since they tend to stream full albums for the entire week before they are released (and delete the stream upon the album's release)

5. John Harchar

I remember listening to PHA on either NPR or Rolling Stone about a week before its release, same thing for Neil Young's Hitchhiker last year. They must see it as an appetite whetter instead of a chance for people to get the album without buying it. The fact they've already let two of the songs get posted online for anyone to hear (and download if you have the tech knowhow) leans toward possibly doing the fullstream again.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. cryingbluerain

cryingbluerain Forum Resident

7. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

Here's the direct video. Not many barrels yielding **** like this 50 years after the filling up was finished forever.

I have to say that I wish I hadn't known, when watching the Eddie Kramer interview on the USA Today link, what I learned above...namely, that he had taken this performance he's rhapsodizing about and chopped it up, apparently discarding sections Alan Douglas had decided to keep and vice-versa. I'm no purist, if something's out of tune or confused or even just uninspired I don't really mind it being chopped, but when those decisions are seemingly arbitrary it's just...bewildering. All these years later people are still hungry for his guitar playing, and a decision is made to edit down his guitar playing for no apparent reason.

kees1954, Fullbug, Imagine70 and 2 others like this.
  8. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The reason they have is to make it "mainstream consumable". They unfortunately have a misguided vision about Hendrix now.
    However, Ted Macero was very scissor-happy with all those Miles Davis tapes over the years and fans accept the albums that he constructed. They were of course done with the approval of Miles, which is the big difference.

Maidenpriest and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

:confused:

10. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

I guess it's the misguided part that bothers me. Nobody buying these albums is going to complain about a guitar solo being too long, and if two producers can't even agree on what's worth including I have to assume some cuts were made simply to keep it short. And I don't think it makes commercial or artistic sense. I agree with posters above that fairly inclusive box sets for each album, as well as various collections of studio recordings done after Electric Ladyland, would be marketable releases. There are plenty enough fans to make those releases commercially viable.

Smart marketing at this point would leave the best stuff (like the original albums (+), and the original In The West) out there to snag new fans, while gradually making the bulk of his recordings available, with some marbles and stuff, to established fans.

Imagine70 likes this.
  11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Ted was Teo's mad twin brother. He slipped into the studio to hack up all those Miles Davis jams. It was an industry secret until I found out.

Kassonica and Doctor Flang like this.
  12. sleeptowin

so these new albums are like Crash landing but without adding new musicians?
    if so, why not release the original version of somewhere rather than the mashed up version that came out.

i don't mind making one track out of 10 takes, i don't mind chopping down jamming and soloing as that isn't what i like about Hendrix. i like Hendrixs song writing as on the first 3 albums. if they have to trim it to make it marketable i understand. but how many albums of the same material must we listen to? didn't they do like 40 takes of Gypsy eyes? how about another version of that?

13. John Harchar

I don’t know if I’d quite put it that way...yet. We get another Mannish Boy out of I don’t know how many takes, a HMTAC that may have edits (I’ll have to compare to the composite), a Things I Used to So that definite is and a Cherokee Mist that isn’t. Alan did looping, Eddie’s doing some Pro Tooling. I’d prefer editing be done to a minimum, we’ll just have to see what the rest sounds like.

14. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

With the passage of time everyone's standards have dropped from Kramer to the listener & everyone in, around & between,

EVOLVIST and DTK like this.
  15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I have the "Lover Man" single but I don't want to break the seal. :nyah:

jhm and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Chris Elliott and J.Lucas like this.
  17. John Harchar

18. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Not even to hear the Vitus Studios "Foxy Lady"?? I have a good dub of this performance but I'd love to hear if Kramer has managed to "work any magic" with the source.

19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Don't tempt me!

jhm likes this.
  20. John Harchar

You wanna talk about temptation? Every year, I give up "digital media acquisition" for Lent, and just about year in March, a new Jimi album pops out! So I'm officially not listening to the album until Easter. However streaming isn't exactly acquisition so I'm hoping that NPR preview shows up soon!

J.Lucas and Purple Jim like this.
  21. Chris Elliott

Chris Elliott Forum Resident

Deek57 likes this.
  22. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

What a dush Chris Evans is. Interview with Kramer was embarrassing. Kramer managed it well. I am liking the 'new' songs so far.

supernaut likes this.
  23. In the clip I've heard they only play about 50 seconds of Lover Man. Have I missed something or is that all there was on Evans' show with 5 minute interview with Kramer?

24. sleeptowin

THE clip sounded really empty. any bass on it?

25. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Was the host the problem?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.