Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evans is a total dush normally, yes, but from what I heard here he came across perfectly okay to me, asking the usual mind numbingly dull questions that interviewers typically ask.

2. J.Lucas

J.Lucas Forum Resident

Well...the song lasts about 3mts.....but this Evans guy talks thru the opening and closing of it....
    anyway...I recorded it so if interested:
    (I left out the little interview due to it being the same stuff we've all heard a million times)

kees1954 likes this.
  3. I would be interested, thanks, but sadly "this video contains content from SME who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds". :realmad:

4. J.Lucas

J.Lucas Forum Resident

??? I see it just got blocked for 'worldwide'...but I can still see it here in the US.
    I put it up on MEGA...it's a small file
    BBC Radio 2 - The Chris Evans Breakfast Show, 22022018 -.mpg(32.5 MB)
    ht tps://mega.nz/#!6MU0CYwa!XD6kAyET2CAaMwo_877TpPZC3lcFwRzDUulQ4CtEfHQ
    ---
    You can also go to
    BBC Radio 2 - The Chris Evans Breakfast Show, 22/02/2018
    and just push the slider up to the 1hr 24mt mark...that's where the little interview it approx starts
    ---
    Thanks go to Deek57 for posting about it

Purple Jim and Deek57 like this.
  5. I'm in the UK! ;)
    I can't access the full radio show as I haven't got a BBC log-in account, which it requires to access, and to be quite honest, I don't want to be bothered creating another one! Nevermind.

6. J.Lucas

J.Lucas Forum Resident

Could just use like Windscribe(free) and change it to US
    Windscribe - Free VPN and Ad Block
    I use to access blocked US sites....only the free version only allows up to 10 GIG download per month(which is more than I need)

kees1954, jhm and SteveM like this.
  7. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Didn't know Captain America had a radio show. :D

The solo is quite different than any other version I'd heard, but the "Batman" section I've never associated with the theme because it's not really the Batman theme (Batman just descends, while this section goes up and down a bit). It seems like they're trying to make up for the fact Jimi never got a chance to release a studio Lover Man or Hear My Train, so they're releasing as many as possible and saying to us, "Pick which ever one you like". So far, I'd stick with the purple box 1970 Lover Man and the VoN Hear My Train as my "definitives".

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Just listened to "Lover Man" on that BBC thing (it starts at 1h 12mins). That cocky twat Chris Evans speaks over too much it unfortunately.
    Some lovely rhythm guitar and a relaxed vocal from Jimi (with a slight slur near the beginning). No real solo though :( Agreed that it isn't the Batman theme and we've already heard versions with the same section.
    So we're essentially in the same territory as the stuff that was on VON and PH&A.

What is that instrumental "All Along The Watchtower" in the background?

9. John Harchar

Not only does he talk over it, but it's like it's gated or something because it completely cuts out when he talks!

J.Lucas likes this.
  10. dee

dee Senior Member

Have enjoyed the 3 preview tracks so far...

11. kees1954

kees1954 Forum Resident

My copy of Lover Man on 45 should arrive by Wednesday:righton:

jhm likes this.
  12. Chris Elliott

Chris Elliott Forum Resident

Here's the YouTube upload of Lover Man!

Chris Elliott

13. John Harchar

Thanks, been wondering where this was all day :)

Sounds like it's from the November session with no Billy, just Jimi and the cement mixer churning away. I'm guessing Jungle will be from around the same time since the one from Morning Symphony is from then.

SteveM likes this.
  14. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Stinging lead guitar- nice-:cool:

15. Chris Elliott

December 15th, 1969 to be exact.

[​IMG]

supernaut and Mlle. Aurora like this.
  16. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Ultimate Hendrix inidicates the full BoG was present on 15-Nov-69 when this was recorded (thanks Chris) and I certainly hear bass when listening through headphones. Interstingly enough, they apparently recorded nine total takes on "Lover Man" during this session but "none of them really gelled" (the book notes Buddy couldn't keep up a consistent tempo). I guess one take gelled enough for them to release it :p! They also recorded a single , "effective" take of "Them Changes" (noted to have "strong rhythm and lead playing" from Jimi). This makes me wonder (again) why they never bothered to assemble a posthumous BoG studio LP. Seems there were more than enough tracks available to have done that.

Purple Jim, Roberto899 and Fred68 like this.
  17. Chris Elliott

This one was "December" 15th, 1969.

Chris

18. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Oops! Too late to edit but my information stands (I was referencing Ultimate Hendrix for December 15th but I typed in November :doh:).

19. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

That's what too much sun does to you jhm:wave:

jhm and J.Lucas like this.
  20. John Harchar

Wow, you listen to it through the computer you can’t hear the bass at all. I even stuck my ear ext to the speakers and still couldn’t hear it. Maybe that’s what they meant by not gelling

jhm likes this.
  21. dee

dee Senior Member

Yeah, I can dig it. That and Hear My Train and Mannish Boy. Going to be part of a consistent playlist with my favorite tracks from much of VON and some of PHA and WCSB...

22. That drumming sucks. I guess that's what the comment about "cement mixer" refers to? It's some of the worst mechanical, one 'note' drumming I've ever heard. I noted it on some of the tracks across VON and PH&A as well. No wonder Douglas deleted drum tracks! I think that is why there has never been a BOG "studio album" released posthumously. Jimi and Buddy didn't always "gel". With Billy Cox it was very different, however amateur he might have been compared to Jimi.

Carserguev and Maidenpriest like this.
  23. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Billy is one of the most underrated bass players of all time.

supernaut, Lownote30, tcbtcb and 7 others like this.
  24. John Harchar

Mitch's nickname for Buddy was "the cement mixer" per Eddie's commentary in the Mannish Boy video. I do agree this isn't one of Buddy's better moments, it's a little too loose. But on the tracks really meant for release (there's no way to argue this take would have ever been a candidate), he has quite a number of stellar moments. Carl Palmer he was not, he was a groove drummer and when he was on, he was very good at that.

Just listened to it again and heard the bass this time!

Lonson and jhm like this.
  25. John Harchar

He and Jimi DID gel, a lot. Got a chance to tell him how much I enjoyed his work at a signing at the Times Square Virgin Store (God, I miss that place!) I think that was why there was generally less jamming in the 1970 shows, things were tighter with him.

Lonson, Kassonica and vudicus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.