Jimi Hendrix: EH Valleys Of Neptune, People Hell & Angels, Both Sides Of The Skies as 1 Cd

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maidenpriest, Mar 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Only thing I would've liked to get on was Crying Blue Rain, the original non-overdubbed 2:28 version might fit.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  2. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Here's mine (all the post fame non-Jimi vocal tracks released so far by EH - about 19 minutes per 'side'):

Side 1
    $20 Fine (Stills)
    Woodstock (Stills)
    Everlasting First (Love)
    Mastermind (Larry Lee)

Side 2
    Mojo Man (Ghetto Fighters)
    Let Me Move You (Lonnie Youngblood)
    Georgia Blues (Lonnie Youngblood)

Too short for a standalone release, but would work well as bonuses on a RAH live release.

3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

No Things I Used To Do with Johnny Winter?

4. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

He sings on it?

5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Looks good to me :).
    There's a few more rehersal songs they recorded at Olympia, so they could probably have fashioned a whole album.
    There's so much stuff they could put on a RAH release, but it looks like only our grandchildren will hear it...

6. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Those tracks are all so disappointing in how they were presented by EH, but number 12 is extremely aggravating because it was such a charming song in its solo/demo form, and will likely never be released in that way.

7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I was thinking in terms of jams with others outside the original band as opposed to who did the vocals, similar to the Solos, Sessions and Encores disc by SRV.

8. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Well that would be a different "album" entirely! Not quite as easy to compile without studying the liner notes to find out who exactly plays what and where, unlike the vocals which even without referring to the liner notes are pretty easily noticeable when not by Jimi.

Plus for me anyway the non Jimi vocal tracks appearing on a Jimi album just don't work as they stand out like a sore thumb. However at the same time many of those tracks are quite good/worthy of being released, so putting them all together on one release (playlist/CD-r/whatever) allows them to shine within their own context.

BTW I call my collection "On The Side" - as in "Jimi Hendrix on the side" meaning Jimi as sideman, so in that context the Winter track would most definitely not belong.

9. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :) Thread Starter

Interesting now this is how EH should do it IMO because you approach the release knowing that this was not original Hendrix and he was helping friends and so has a Theme to this compilation, maybe include key tracks where other guest musicians appeared on Jimi songs like Are you Experienced Live Winterland and Winwood on Voodoo Child and have a comprehensive essay about Jimi as a session musician etc

Arnold Grove likes this.
  10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes, presentation and context are very important. And this would be a good example of how to provide those things.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  11. Y'all would really buy an album that features Hendrix as a sideman like that? Do you think the general public would, too?

Not me. I won't even purchase those pre-Experience sideman albums. It hardly even sounds like the same man playing the guitar that we know from AYE.

12. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Having not heard BSoTS yet, I can only compile a single disc from VoN and PH&A. Having to include music from a 3rd release, I will likely remove "Inside Out," "Ships Passing Through The Night" and one of the versions of "Hear My Train A Comin'" (probably the April version) at the very least to make some room when the time comes for a revised list.

Inside Out [Outtake, Record Plant, 6/11/68]
    Sunshine of Your Love [Outtake, Olympic, 2/16/69]
    Fire [Rehearsal, Olympic, 2/17/69]
    Red House [Rehearsal, Olympic, 2/17/69]
    Hey Gypsy Boy [Outtake, Record Plant, 3/18/69]
    Hear My Train A Comin' [Outtake, Record Plant, 4/7/69]
    Stone Free [Outtake, Record Plant, 4/7/69]
    Lullaby For The Summer [Outtake, Record Plant, 4/7/69]
    Ships Passing Through The Night [Outtake, Record Plant, 4/14/69]
    Bleeding Heart [Outtake, Record Plant, 4/24/69]
    Hear My Train A Comin' [Outtake, Record Plant, 5/21/69]
    Villanova Junction Blues [Outtake, Record Plant, 5/21/69]
    Easy Blues [Outtake, Hit Factory, 8/28/69]
    Izabella [Outtake, Hit Factory, 8/28/69]
    Message To Love [Outtake, Hit Factory, 12/19/69]

13. rednax

rednax Forum Resident

Here's my single disc playlist from the 3:

[​IMG]

Wayne Hubbard and Maidenpriest like this.
  14. Maidenpriest

I don't think the General Public are buying any new Hendrix apart from Greatest Hits, certainly not the new ones and if so they will be very disappointed

15. They are marketing for a demographic, though. That demographic has to be for the white male 40, or 50, to age 80 group. (I'm sure it can be broken down even further than that. That's what marketing does.) So, in that group they don't worry about who is "hard core" and who is "casual." Those are our words. In a pure business sense, they are looking to hit them all, otherwise they would never produce the product if they didn't think there was a demand.

Therefore, do we really think there is a demand for a Hendrix-as-a-sideman release? I don't think so. There's no glory days to relive in set like that. As is, they are still putting variations of old standards on releases, and keywords that appeals to that age group, e.g. "Woodstock" "Johnny Winter" "Here My Train a Comin'", et al.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    Maidenpriest likes this.
  16. Maidenpriest

I don't think there is demand for Hendrix as a Sideman project and IMO should be on a Chronological historical Box set for the real hardcore or at the very least a compilation with a theme again for the Hardcore but not on a mainstream release like this, this release should be the very best Hendrix not on the core albums released so far not him helping out friends as a session man only playing bass etc :( Unfinished songs that are still interesting and each song should work as a standalone work to show the progress of that song even combining two 'complete as far as Hendrix managed' or more separate performances of the same song to demonstrate there evolution, this release at best should have been One Cd (or at a push a double Cd) but not three separate albums worth which is obviously only done for maximum $$$$ (even Douglas could only managed two albums, 1 Cd in today's running time), the material its not good or strong enough as we have proved some what in this thread, at least if EH was honest and marketed it as unfinished demos, ideas etc I would be happier and have no reason to complain about them !

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    Arnold Grove likes this.
  17. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The suggestion for a Hendrix as a sideman project was so that people are not fooled into thinking that tracks like some of those included here have him singing and/or playing lead guitar.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  18. Maidenpriest

I totally Agree with you :)

John Fell likes this.
  19. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

They could even license some of the appearances he had on the albums by Buddy Miles, Timothy Leary, Eire Apparent, McGough & McGear etc. Some of those he only appeared on a track or two.

20. Maidenpriest

they could do a whole box set and like I said further up in this thread include the original Experience songs where it had additional musicians, but in all honesty I don't think they are prepared to pay the licensing costs to other Artists the ones they have were probably cheaper because more interesting things could have been on 'West Coast Seattle Boy', probably the return would not make enough money

21. Arnold Grove

I'm hoping for the following albums one day:
    Jimi Hendrix: Bass Man --- Every song on which Jimi plays bass
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience Without Jimi -- Eddie Kramer masterfully removes Jimi from the core 3 albums, and features the original backing tracks done by Mitch and Noel, but now without the distracting guitar and vocals from Jimi
    Live and Out Of Tune: A compilation of the best concert songs in which Jimi's guitar is way out of tune; but it's still Jimi, so who cares...

;)

22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I was thinking if EH released another multidisc set like West Coast Seattle Boy, they could have a disc of sideman appearances rather than pre-Experience tracks like on West Coast Seattle Boy.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I actually wonder if at some point if there will be a release of backing tracks for the songs without the vocals but with Jimi's guitar, maybe as a disc as part of a larger box set or as bonus disc for one of the official albums.

24. Maidenpriest

:laugh::laugh::laugh::righton: (I shouldn't encourage you Arnie but it is funny:righton:)

Arnold Grove and John Fell like this.
  25. Arnold Grove

I figure that you guys can handle it... ;)

Maidenpriest likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.