Jimi Hendrix Miami Pop Festival CD & DVD by Sony due Nov. '13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RiRiIII, Aug 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beatlematt

beatlematt Forum Resident

What a smarmy TV News obit. Could they have used more ear bleeding guitar in that segment? Take that you drug using, sexually gyrating, noise making, witch doctor who probably did not save his money (oh the humanity!) Also implied by the visuals, eating pizza is evil.

2. old school

old school Senior Member

It had nothing to do with acid. Simply put Jimi wanted a new direction and so did the record execs.

3. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Perhaps, but a bad acid trip is a more plausible explanation for an on-stage meltdown than wanting new muscal direction.

4. old school

old school Senior Member

How about this just is not working anymore I'm jamming the hell out of here!

5. eyeCalypso

I still think acid's to blame.

6. old school

old school Senior Member

I have read many books on Jimi I don't recall that being the case. I will do some research and get back to you on this.

7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I didn't think that was the case at all. Jeffry's wanted Jimi to go in a new direction and put pressure on him is what I recall reading. It could have been acid or just the pressure being put on him to do what he didn't want to do really, fire Buddy. That's what I came away with after doing extensive reading about this last century.

8. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Check Setting the Record Straight.

9. old school

old school Senior Member

I disagree Jimi wanted the Experience back together true Jeffry put pressure on Jimi but it was not acid pure career pressure and Jimi new it was time for change. As I said I will go back and research. I have done extensive reading on this too.

10. old school

old school Senior Member

Okay save me some time what went down. If I'm wrong I'm a big boy and can handle it.

11. eyeCalypso

I think it was a culmination of all this, but my original comment about bad acid trip was the on-stage meltdown itself. From what I read many moons ago, yes Michael Jeffry and the record label suits wanted Jimi to reform with the white boys for commercial reasons and were putting pressure on Jimi to do their bidding. I think Jimi was restless and just wanted to explore and expand the music. I do think Buddy was getting on Jimi's nerves. Jimi and many of his peers were on acid all the time, nothing strange about that. All of this culminated during that last appearence by the Band of Gypsies, but read the description of that weird aborted gig and it sounds just like Jimi was in the throwes of reeling in a psychadelic trip.

12. Doctor Flang

:p From STRS:

Buddy Miles: "Both my sister and i saw Jeffery slip two tabs of acid, and i personally saw Hendrix take them."

Kathy Ebert: "Acid wasn't all Hendrix had ingested."

13. old school

old school Senior Member

White boys just what is your angle sounds racist to me.

14. old school

old school Senior Member

Good enough for me thanks Doctor Flang.

15. eyeCalypso

Did you read the rest the rest of my post?
    FYI, white boys = Mitch & Noel.

16. Doctor Flang

Anyway, it is pretty clear that Band of Gypsys was over for Hendrix. After the MGS show, he didn't work with Miles again, apart from some studio jamming.

17. old school

old school Senior Member

Yes I can read I know who Mitch and Noel are. Why did you not call them by there names? Using white boys is not cool and sounds like you have a hidden agenda like a race problem dude.

18. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

I know next to nothing about LSD, but most sources say there is no such thing as "bad LSD" - it's either LSD or if the molecular constellation is different it isn't; it's the dosage that matters. And anyway there is no other account of Jimi being physically ill from from this drug. He played pretty well on it at Monterey. Possibly he had some other drug or alcohol in his system and this combined with the issues over Buddy Miles got too much.

19. Doctor Flang

John McDermott speculated that it might have been alcohol. Apparently, Jimi also did drink vodka before the Isle of Wight show, and that might explain why his speech was a bit slurred. Of course, this is all just speculation.

20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Whatever. Despite being a "Rock God" Jimi was flesh and blood and he had his weaknesses and bad days like anyone.

21. Doctor Flang

True. It's inevitable especially considering how much work he did.

22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Sorry to butt in here but I think this isnt the case. The poster was simply saying what really was going on. That the suits wanted Jimi to be back with the two men who were white. "Color appeal" may not have been the only reason. But yeah, it was there. I think "white boys" here was used with a roll of the eyes. Used as more in disgust that race must play a part in popularity. At lease in those times and in their eyes.

23. eyeCalypso

Is that what you think? Actually, I don't give a damn at all about racial issues and in proper context "white boys" is just fine thank you. Thanks for the laugh anyway and the red herring too.

Back to the point of discussion, sad to say that the suits and bean counters in those days probably did consider greater commercial potential with a white backing band in addition to the continuity of a huge selling, name band.

And thanks for conceeding my point that (potentially bad) acid might have been to blame after all.

24. eyeCalypso

Thank you!

Lonson likes this.
  25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I don't really think that it was a racial issue with Mike Jeffrey. He just wanted that original band back out there, that band which had sold millions of records. If that band had been all black in the first place, he would have wanted them out there all the time. He did have an issue with Buddy Miles though, as his big ego and intrusive musical input was diluting Jimi's own impact on stage and in the studio. As far as I know, Jeffrey had no problem with Billy Cox being in the Cry Of Love band (despite the fact that he had set up that Rolling Stone interview with Jimi, Mitch and Noel in early 1970 in a failed attempt to guarantee the continuation of the original band for future work).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.