Jimi Hendrix: Voodoo Chile Album+

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maidenpriest, Apr 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :) Thread Starter

Hello All, listening to some old 1980's cassettes I found very dusty in a draw I thought the newer Hendrix fans would enjoy seeing them, I will post if any variations or rarities are found etc :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rock4ev likes this.
  2. Maidenpriest

One variation I have found is on 'Little Wing' there is an unusual 'squeak' of Hendrix's guitar after the first verse and it sounds like more phasing effects that I don't recall hearing before (I am reluctant to rewind the tape and give timings etc due to there age) ??

3. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Gotta give it to them, some nice eclectic combinations there! Buy the album, get one set of tracks; buy the cassette, get a completely different set of tracks! :doh:

Maidenpriest likes this.
  4. John Harchar

Get it digitize ASAP!

5. Maidenpriest

I know :) I bought them at totally different times though maybe if I had remembered the track listings I would have not bought one of them they were bought years apart, Johnny B Goode is a different edit as well comparing now to the 'In The West' version

6. Maidenpriest

Johnny B Goode also has extra crowd noise that is still on the 'In The West' version but is more prominent, unusually for Douglas era releases it appears to have less reverb as well IMO

7. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Axis exists in two stereo mixes and all European releases on Polydor had the "alternate" mix, I guess that's the difference you're hearing, as I assume you are accustomed to the original mix, which has been on all reissues from the '93 MCA CD onwards.

I think the Voodoo Chile and the accompanying Stone Free compilations are quite nice selections, a little bit of everything and makes for good listening.

But the releases pictured are two completely different ones...? :confused:

The first one is from 1973 and has no title, the second is from 1982 and is called Voodoo Chile.

The 1973 release ("Jimi Hendrix"): Jimi Hendrix - Jimi Hendrix

The 1982 release (Voodoo Chile): Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Chile

A 1980 "companion" to the above: Jimi Hendrix - Stone Free

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    slane likes this.
  8. Maidenpriest

I have absolutely no recollection to that 'Stone Free' comp so that one passed me by although I will use the tracklisting as a playlist to see how it all hangs together:righton: and of course I should have remembered about Little Wing it is the same version as my original 813 Polydor Cd, I guess of have just become used to the original Cd Reprise version as my 'to go' these days :)

9. Maidenpriest

Is it the fake stereo version of Stone Free included on that 1980 compilation ??

10. John Harchar

Ok got it, was a little confused since they both start with Voodoo Chile (which I assume is actually Voodoo Child). There were a bunch of these types of complications in Europe, weren’t there?

Maidenpriest likes this.
  11. Maidenpriest

yes and I lapped them up mostly used from smelly old Record stores it certainly made collecting fun everything Hendrix these days is all a bit serious and samey IMO (or maybe because I have heard it all been there and got the Tshirt not much fun now when something new pops up)

12. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I call them companions because they seem to have been put together by the same people, they have similar type of selection while having no overlap, and they are also similar looking.

Yes, I don't think the mono is ony any LPs except the original Track Smash Hits, is it?

Yes, many compilations just came out in specific countries, everyone made up their own releases.

Maidenpriest likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.