Jimmy Page says previously unheard Led Zeppelin music will be released for band's 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I wouldn't be opposed to having the HTWWW material being re-done and expanded but wish Jimmy Page would choose a different mixing engineer over Kevin Shirley, just not a fan of his work post-2000.

2. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Give me the long-time rumored Montreux 1970 & 1971 multitracks on a beautiful 4 CD/Blu Ray box set, mixed in stereo and 5.1. If not possible, just the soundboards.

That would wipe the floor with HTWWW. Truly

:wave:

Sean, The Ole' Rocker, tinnox and 2 others like this.
  3. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

4. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

I agree, I think the writer of the blog was referring more to Live Aid and the Atlantic 40th show. That gossip site is getting increasingly bonkers recently though, so I don't hold out much hope. But I didn't think the Stone Roses would ever reform either, so you never know.

5. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

I think Shirley's mixes are beefy and rocking. The problem with those releases are the masterings. You would be amazed how much better they sound when you fix the lousy, bloated EQ.

Haggis Wampovich and ponkine like this.
  6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

29 pages of discussion about something will probably never ever happen, and if it does it won't be worth beans to listen to unless of course its a live show, and that would be the easiest thing to do.....especially after those hideous things he called "newly discovered studio material" on the deluxe editions....page knows how to get his name out there doesn't he?

7. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

The chat on the Zeppelin forums is that a live album will be coming out in the summer.

I didn't find things like Keys the Highway or St Tristain's sword to be 'hideous' myself but each to their own.

8. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Van Halen?

9. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

Many pages of useless discussion I agree, but somethong IS happening. Davis won't tweet and post a picture of mastering LZ for nothing. JP has also confirmed. Let's just wait and see if the surprises are good or bad.

10. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Probably Smashing Pumpkins.

Corgan has been working with Chamberlain, and Iha was photographed sitting in the studio with them.
    Chamberlain mentioned how hard it was to get 4 old grumpy men back together, but in this case it was 3 men and a woman.
    I'm thinking it's them.

snipe, Sean and steveharris like this.
  11. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

No offence meant, but the "blind" implied someone really huge. I don't think VH or Pumpkins size, either Zep huge or Floyd huge. Other speculation I've seen is Sabbath with the rest of them burying the hatchet with Bill Ward

Efus likes this.
  12. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Sabbath are finished (and have already done the reunion thing with Ward), Van Halen have already made the rounds with DLR, Floyd doesn't seem likely (Waters is doing just fine on his own) and Zeppelin is pretty well permanently out of the question.

If you read the original post, it's obviously Guns N' Roses.

But if you don't think Billy Corgan reuniting with the original Pumpkins lineup would be huge, you're kidding yourself.

13. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

It’s Led Zep. Jimmy has already began doing his part.

[​IMG]

14. steveharris

I really like this rumor!:yikes:Where did you hear this?A Paris`73 concert recorded for broadcast sounds like a real possibility!

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  15. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

He recently released an updated version of his Led Zeppelin Live book, retitled Tape Documentary.

Much like you, I wore those books out when I was trading and buying bootlegs at record fairs. I met him in 1994 at the London Zep Fest.

16. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

One of whom of course, has been making a pretty penny for themselves the last few years selling off these board tapes to the good folks at Empress Valley, etc...
    Hell, it's bad enough knowing that there are mere Zeppelin audience recordings that are being hoarded with no chance of release (probably), never mind what's in Page's own vaults!
    Lots of unrecorded/uncirculated shows...the '79 and 80 gigs are the only Zeppelin "tours" where every gig has a corresponding recording. I'm not an expert on their earlier years, but there are seven 1977 shows unaccounted for (Dallas, St Louis, St Paul, Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Baton Rouge, Greensboro), and roughly a similar amount for '75.
    '77 and '80 were recorded on cassette, yes. That explains why there are cuts in the soundboard recordings every 45 minutes, usually during "No Quarter", "Bron Y Aur Stomp" and "Moby Dick" on the '77 boards.
    You can almost set yer watch by them...it's when they actually pull something brand new and unheard (i.e. previously uncirculated via audience tapes) that's rare. I think Fort Worth '75 was the last one of those.
    Cool- another book to add to my shopping list. But, as already mentioned, @FrixFrixFrix blog A Year Of Led Zeppelin is a pretty comprehensive gig by gig breakdown in itself.

FrixFrixFrix likes this.
  17. Efus

Efus Senior Member

No offense taken.
    I also just caught Steve H's disclaimer of (most of) as well.

So with that, I'd toss any group that would fully reform w all original members.

I'll say this, wasnt too excited about 2018 for music, but if we could get music out of any of the group's mentioned, it'd be a plus in my book.
    Sabbath is a real good call as well.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  18. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Yeah, reading the link, the last part about being reminded of how good they were, and how much they made, is a pretty good give away.
    So they cut Izzy in this time, getting him to ante up w new music, and if he flakes out, project over.
    Sounds about right.

John Rhett Thomas likes this.
  19. Jackstar74

Jackstar74 Forum Resident

No because the report states the band in question we're heading into the studio to record an album with most of it's original members for the first time since the breakup. So it's definitely not Van Halen

20. steveharris

Then G N R it must be!:cheers:

21. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

If it's true, it's definitely obviously Guns N' Roses. Half the stuff in there doesn't even apply to Led Zeppelin. ("Apparently all that recent concert money they've recently earned has reminded them they were once that good." Nope, not Zep. That's Guns, who by my estimation were really that good when I saw them at Dodger Stadium.)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Sean, HotelYorba101 and Efus like this.
  22. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Agreed, but expanded HTWWW along with HTEWW would be most welcome!

Sean likes this.
  23. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

Until anythong is announced, I opened a new poll so we can all vote and argue what is coming and why. This way maybe we can reduce the amount of useless pages in this thread.

24. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

25. Isaac McHelicopter

Isaac McHelicopter Possession is a clue but not the game.

There was a Nakamichi deck on the sound desk at Earl's Court. I remember seeing it as I was leaving after one of the shows. Next to it were a couple of Maxell cassettes, just about close enough for me to have reached over the barrier and snatched. (I'm a law-abiding Zep fan, so I didn't, but I was tempted!)

Crungy and ElevatorSkyMovie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.