Jimmy Page says previously unheard Led Zeppelin music will be released for band's 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Folks - in regards to Robert's recent cryptic (and for some) unsettling comments:

Think back to the late 80s, Robert was vehemently against any live Zeppelin being released. I recall him saying it is "Not necessarily necessary" and "There are loads of bootlegs." I also recall Jimmy around that same time saying "Robert is not keen on it." And look what happened later on. We got HTWWW and DVD.

He can talk crap all he wants, but if there is material to be released and there is demand - we will see releases.

I am curious though why Robert cancelled some shows. No, I do not think a reunion is coming! But I hope it's not something more ominous like health issues.

steveharris likes this.
  2. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Do you mean live or in the studio?

Studio Zep, I don't think there could be much more, but I honestly don't know.

Live, there's no way the barrel's been scraped much more than once.

Page doesn't give anything away, won't say what's coming. We'll have to wait for the next official announcement.

3. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I think it may relate to him getting snowed in while in Minneapolis.

4. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Plant turns 70 this August. Maybe he'd rather be home for his birthday... :)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    johnny q, SickAgain and rockclassics like this.
  5. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Studio. I was a bit disappointed by the bonus material of the recent deluxe box sets.

Live? With so many boots around and apparently the scarce amount of proper multitrack recordings, I do not expect much. The barrel is quite empty IMO. Let’s wait and see.

6. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Well, Robert did allegedly stop Coda from being a chronological live album, and later in 1993, allegedly stopped a live box set from being released. That said, there is no reason to think he is stopping anything this time around. His unclear statements do not allude to live tapes. His statements are ambiguous at best, likely referring to the idea that there are very few remaining unreleased studio tracks in the archives. JP has clearly been working on some sort of live release, and it is doubtful he would commence work on a project without approval from Plant, Jones and Bonham estate.

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

page doesn't know himself what's coming....he talks because he likes to see his name in print.

page is an unproductive musician who lost his muse long ago.

plant still gets out there and works and writes and records....i truly wish he and john paul jones would put a stop to jimmy page talking in the press once and for all by refusing any and all future led zeppelin projects and announcements unless they both approve.

Larry C. McGinnis III likes this.
  8. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

As I understand the situation regarding the recent remastered studio albums, the record company insisted there be companion discs as a mandate for them being reissued, Page had control over what went on them but it was a non-negotiable prerequisite they be included with each album... and considering the scarcity of actual substantive unreleased studio material left in the vaults, it's any wonder so little was dredged up in the process... a grand total of three complete (not alternate mixes or instrumental outtakes) tracks seems to be all that was left; namely, 'Sugar Mama', 'Key to the Highway/Trouble in Mind', and 'Friends (Bombay Orchestra)'... and all of those could and indeed should have been included in an expanded Coda along with the original eight tracks from 1982 and the four bonus tracks added in 1993, to make a single double album.

Apparently, and according to Jimmy himself in the recent Uncut interview, Japan '71 is off the table - at least for now - so Earl's Court sounds like the most likely candidate... unless it's Southampton '73, another multi-track we've never heard of, or the chronological live set that Jimmy has been mulling over for years.

With Sir James Patrick of Page, you just never know... man of mystery, hiding in shadows, and peeking around corners.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    Norco74 and zphage like this.
  9. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

Why would Japan 71 be out of the table as per JP?

10. The Hermit

You'd be best asking Jimmy himself why. Maybe he's still not happy with how it sounds, or he's planning on releasing it further down the line, or... who knows?

11. Daniel Falaschi

Sure but you meant according to JPS words in Uncut magazine. What is yhe quote that lead you to think about jspan being ruled out?

12. Sorry, that sounds pretty far fetched.

Dr. Funk, Stefan, four sticks and 3 others like this.
  13. SickAgain

SickAgain Active Member

To me rjp comes across as cranky. A lot of his posts are complaints.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  14. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Don't forget St Stephen's Sword & Carrot Pod pod. The latter just a pretty sketch really, but the former was a cracker. I agree that's not much for the reissues though, which is why I've not bought them but listened to them on YT before the copyright wizards got there.

Edit: unless you were to count the bizarre growly alternative vocal version of Royal Orleans as "new". I still don't believe that is Plant on the mic!

15. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

16. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Fixed

yarbles and SickAgain like this.
  17. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Becuase it is only 2018 not 2021 when the copyright expires. Things may be different then.

18. The Hermit

He was asked directly if the mythic Japan '71 multi-tracks still survive and would they be released as an album anytime soon... his answer was that they do but there was no plans at present to release them.

That's a quote from a three-year-old interview... nobody checks the dates at Blabbermouth, it would appear, they're too busy stirring the proverbial s**t with clickbait articles.

RK2249 likes this.
  19. Daniel Falaschi

If it is not Japan 71, then it is a doctored Southampton with some splicing in of improved vocals from another show.

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  20. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Glad you posted that Hermit, it's too easy nowadays with these clickbait sites, to put up something completely out of date and claim it's now. Fake Zepnews!

21. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

So... link? Scan?

22. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

If Jimmy doesn't know what's coming, then nobody does. You're just threadcrapping again.

23. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

24. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

Not interested in barrel scrapes or even more live Zep.

Just get together and make one more really good album, perhaps in the style of the second side of Led Zep III. Use Jason Bonham for any percussion needs.

Do not tour, please. Remain the one huge band that went out with the most dignity and untarnished legacy.

25. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Be really cool if they did an acoustic show with just the 3 of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.