Jimmy Page says previously unheard Led Zeppelin music will be released for band's 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Hmmm. Liked a couple tracks I've heard. If I can still track it down at B&N I might pick it up.

tinnox likes this.
  2. misteranderson

Yes! It's a shame all that stuff is so overpriced now as to be just plain dumb. I used to buy the things, but not in a long time -- blatant ripoffs. The Japanese SBDs should have been out long ago, officially or unofficially. Jimmy could have done a How The East Was Won years ago, and pipped the bootleggers to the post, but no! Let's ruin The Song Remains The Same and put out a completely worthless thing called Mothership instead.

rockclassics, J_D__ and footlooseman like this.
  3. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

only the west will win this time

4. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

That's a shame there's no Minneapolis '75 recording (or '77 for that matter...) because they were still playing stuff like "When The Levee Breaks", "Wanton Song" and "How Many More Times" that early in the tour. I love the early part of the '75 tour...
    Purely by accident, my friend- Jimmy Page slipped on a wet spot on the floor and fell on top of a needle full of heroin. Yeah, let's go with that story...:laugh:

planckera likes this.
  5. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Page never injected, he always snorted... and you can even hear him chop it up and snort on tape in Dave Schulp's 1977 interview you can find on YouTube, I kid you not!!!

ohnothimagen likes this.
  6. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I'll have to check that out after work!

7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

All that boot stuff is available for free and if you want a physical copy there are usually copies released afterwards at a much lower price point and I think done by the boot companies budget line :) Although the latest batch of Japan 71 tracks doesn't seem to have been shared widely.

8. misteranderson

Oh sure, it's what I've done since around 2004. Haven't bought a boot since '01 or thereabouts. They were $50 - $75 per disc back then!

I would have gladly found a way to buy the Seattle '75 'board if a stand-alone release had been available, not packaged with re-releases of the audience recordings, and not for $600 or whatever. Same goes for Japan '71, but it'll be the same story with those when they finally come out. Big $$$$, and likely packaged with audience sources.

I assume the number of regular customers of the deluxe Japanese boot labels has dwindled to almost nothing, which is why the price is so high.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  9. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

That interview is one of the most interesting Page has done. Paradoxically it's really open, despite being on a tour where at one point Page was so paranoid about being misquoted he relayed questions thru the press wrangler, even though the journalist was sitting a few feet away from him. Yet somehow Dave Schulps got him to open up.

10. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

What if the Japan`71 multitracks really are to poorly recorded to be used?Could it be the soundboards really do sound better?

11. Duckman

Duckman Forum Resident

The Japan 71 multi's were badly balanced. In the fall of 1971 Robert Plant commented on them as being as 'bad as a bootleg' and 'We recorded ourself with an ordinary Revox and achieved far better results'...So yes, if they decide to release it, the tapes are in need of some doctoring. Assuming the SB reels feature more or less the complete show, with the aid of pro tools K.Shirley could create a kind of matrix to present Percy's vox, guitar, bass and drums from the SB in good balance and add the multi track for stereo separation and room ambience. Like most Zep soundboards, the recently unearthed (three) SB tracks lack audience noise and stereo separation.

steveharris likes this.
  12. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I have a lot of Zeppelin SB's and wouldn't dream of paying money for one. An officially released SB would be a massive disappointment, at least for me. Once this happens the next step is for Jimmy to sell numbered/dated jars of actual Zeppelin members feces......and I think it might sell!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  13. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Really, you're going with that?

14. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

No not really, a joke......inspired by how I feel about Zeppelin cash grabs.

15. keef285

keef285 Forum Resident

It was available as a stand alone title ...from the original producers of the bootleg.

16. Sign me up for the Super Deluxe Set of Jars from the night Bonzo ate 27 bananas and they had to cancel after 3 songs.

17. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Well again,we could possibly have a good multitrack & soundboard extras included in a box from every era;
    68/69 show
    RAH/Bath /Montreax 70
    Japan`71
    New York `73
    Earl`s Court`75
    Knebworth`79
    Also some of the best shows may only(if even)have been preserved on a wonky soundboard.
    Fillmore`69
    Madison Square Garden`70 complete from a soundboard(instant pre order for grail)Just give me this!One of the top performances EVER!
    Tokyo`71/Denmark`71 Four Sticks,Gallows Pole & all of wich Plant singing to inhuman heights
    Paris`73 or anything from the euro`73 tour
    Wanton Song & Levee Breaks from Brussels`75 would make for an interesting inclusion if from the board.
    Pontiac`77 soundboard or even the audience source of No Quarter from 6/23/77
    If a new transfer from the masters of Zurich`80 was possible,great sound and one of the best performances from their later career.

While I wouldn`t pay a fortune for a boot,some of them I stumbled upon inexpensive and by chance altered my entire appreciation of live music.
    If this new Song Remains Super deluxe and others cost $150 and up I can easily see a Zeppelin Live retrospective career spanning boxset selling better,even if marketed in several volumes or as an early days later Daze.

18. ohnothimagen

Well, except for "Kashmir" of course:laugh:

Roberto899 and steveharris like this.
  19. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I think what you described is pretty close to what we will get. I am thinking there will be a box set for each year they toured that contains tracks from each show that year.

Who knows....maybe some years we will get more than just the compilation box. These additional releases might be a fairly complete show from that year.

20. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

THIS!

21. bem

bem Forum Resident

I hope so. I wasn't much into Led Zeppelin until I heard how the west was won. One of my favorite live fed.

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  22. Overthehillsandfaraway

"If anyone's recordin' this, you might have to scrap that one, it wasn't completely correct..."

23. ohnothimagen

Yeah, and at the same time Plant was saying that he was probably thinking, "That was embarrassing. Why am I even up here? We just made fools of ourselves in front of 15,000 people... to think I could be back home screwing my sister in law right now!":laugh:

24. Overthehillsandfaraway

And maybe Jones was thinking "I'm sure I used to have a note-to-self on my keyboard reminding me about the bridge in Kashmir. It must have fallen off, ah here it is. Oh sh--. Ah well hopefully no one noticed"

ohnothimagen likes this.
  25. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah I wonder how many they sell these days. But it must be a fair number relatively speaking. What I see in the boot world mirrors the regular music world; shiny looking packages with high dollar values, which appear to attract buyers. lol

Not sure if you keep up with the scene but awhile back EV asked people not to upload a boot so quickly and to give it time, but one person didn't listen so they actually threatened to not release anymore of the Japan 71 tape. The next time they released one track, which was recently...they must have listened because it did not get shares on torrent sites. I still don;t think it's available to d/l in lossless although someone upped it to Youtube. So the torrenting is definitely making enough of a dent in their minds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.