Jimmy Page says previously unheard Led Zeppelin music will be released for band's 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deanrelax

deanrelax Forum Resident

Its from jimmypage.com. It looks fantastic. Oh my, just let it all out.

John Rhett Thomas likes this.
  2. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I never knew they started recording the first album on September 25th. That's also the date of John Bonhams's death of course. Not that it really means anything but it's kind of a weird coincidence. Kind of spooky in a way.

3. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Indeed it's from JimmyPage.com :
    The inception of the epic Led Zeppelin I
    So we're in the 50th anniversary of Led Zeppelin, and on this day on 25th September 1968 heralds the inception of the epic Led Zeppelin I album: the moment whereby I would be able to manifest the sounds and layers I had heard in my head and also prove my status as a producer.

The group went to Studio No.1, Olympic Studios, 117 Church Road, Barnes, London, SW13, having extensively rehearsed the material for Led Zeppelin I at my house in Pangbourne and we had had the opportunity to perform a good percentage of that material during a few concerts in Scandinavia and the UK to experience our music in a live situation under the clandestine cloak of the Yardbirds. In those days, the studio time was scattered and limited over a few days in September and October, dictated by Olympic's availability.

Thus, with the aid of my old friend Glyn John's masterful engineering, at 11pm on Wednesday 25th September 1968, we began our recordings and embarked upon committing this eclectic powerhouse to tape.

Much has been speculated about the initial recordings, so I thought it would be useful to show the worksheet from RAK that gives the dates and times that we were scheduled initially to go in. It makes fascinating reading.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    DrBeatle and Paulo Alm like this.
  4. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

The syntax of the first paragraph is terrible...

Use_Your_Koala likes this.
  5. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Jimmy's not proofreading, obviously. I don't think he has all that much to do with jimmypage.com anyway, it's been on autopilot for quite some time.

6. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

To say The Who or Zeppelin is better than the other is like comparing white and red wine. There both good, just taste different.

7. Liquid77

Liquid77 Forum Resident

I like the way you think, I'll just add that Zep is a $500 bottle, where the Who are a really nice $150 bottle. Nickelback are a 6 pack of empties.

8. And it's actually one sentence.

9. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

Nice! A couple tweaks though:

Led Zeppelin: $500 bottle
    The Who: three $150 bottles
    Nickelback: just the dry heaves [​IMG]

;)

DrBeatle likes this.
  10. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Nickelback are more like a nearly empty pint you find at the end of the evening in the pub, briefly think about finishing off then realise someone's already been there and left several stubbed out fags in it.

11. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Led Zeppelin I: The Complete Sessions. Let's hear every note. Who's with me?!?! :)

Paulo Alm and rockclassics like this.
  12. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

A sub-par companion disc anyone?

13. VatiBobo

VatiBobo A Scotsman in Canada

From the Led Zeppelin Facebook page:

"50 years ago this week, John Bonham, John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant convened in Olympic Studios in London to begin recording their debut album as Led Zeppelin.
    To celebrate this historic golden anniversary, the band have unveiled three new digital-only releases today on all digital download and streaming platforms.

Led Zeppelin x Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin x Led Zeppelin by Led Zeppelin
    An Intro to Led Zeppelin: An Introduction To Led Zeppelin by Led Zeppelin
    Rock & Roll (Sunset Sound Mix): Rock And Roll (Sunset Sound Mix) by Led Zeppelin "

The first two appear to be essentially new greatest hits packages, with the 'Led Zeppelin x Led Zeppelin' offering 30 tracks to 'An Intro to Led Zeppelin's' 10. The R&R Sunset mix is the two songs from the RSD release from April. On iTunes Canada, the LZxLZ is CAD12.99, the Intro CAD9.99 and the R&R $2.29.

No actual new music at this stage, but thought it may be of interest for this thread as a potential starting point for 50th anniversary releases.

14. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Thank you! I'm glad they did not stay vinyl-only releases. :)

dee likes this.
  15. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

And now they're on Tidal too, in Hi-Fi (FLAC) quality.

16. Jerjo

Jerjo Forum Resident

No "Tea for One" in the first compilation. This is a crime against humanity!

dee and Mook like this.
  17. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

18. Mlle. Aurora

Yes?

19. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

That was posted on the official Zep facebook

Nothing worth noting so far

:shrug:

Mlle. Aurora likes this.
  20. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I still have the sinking feeling we're all going to be crushingly disappointed...

Prove me wrong, Jimmy.

21. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

The LZxLZ compilation is an oddity. On the one hand there’s more on offer than we on 3LP/2CD crop circles set and Mothership, on the other hand there appears to be no rhyme or reason to the selection and order. Starting off with the ‘heavy metal’ track can’t be Robert’s idea. No chronological order a la 2CD crop circles & mothership, no ‘themed sides’ as with the crop circles box set.

As you say, its a start and seems more akin to Zeppelin 101 for the streaming generation who are new to the band. From that point of view, having the ‘heavy metal’ song known to the younger generation from Thor:Ragnarok makes perfect sense.

22. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I`m sure an 18 disc live anthology will be announced today!:biglaugh:

mestreech and FourWalledWorld like this.
  23. Mlle. Aurora

Maybe they are only announcing The Book this way.

24. Mlle. Aurora

25. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.