Joan Baez reissues on Vanguard

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by guy incognito, Nov 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member Thread Starter

In the last year Vanguard has reissued several early Joan Baez albums, complete with bonus tracks and new liner notes. Can anybody give a review of the sound quality on these?

I'm particularly interested in her self-titled first album, the two In Concert volumes, and Noël.

2. guy incognito

C'mon, now...I can't believe there isn't somebody here with at least one of these CDs.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Mike, I have the first 1980's run of the Vanguard CD's, when Welk bought them.

Most of the stuff sounded pretty good, but who knows what the new stuff sounds like? Maybe they ran Joan through a digital Peter Frampton style voice do-dad to give her an "updated" 1970's sound (little joke).

4. Matt

Matt New Member

Maybe more like Britney or Cher, less like Frampton. The kids love it!

5. Steve Hoffman

My favorite Joan Baez album is "Farewell Angelina". Beautiful album. I used to have an open reel copy. It sounded better than the CD.

I always wanted to do some Baez on Gold but the powers that be figured it would not make the advance money back, so the projects were always nixed....:(

6. GregY

GregY New Member

I own the first two albums remastered on Vanguard. I have absolutely no point of reference for these since I bought them without having previously heard the tracks (I only owned her Greatest Hits on A&M, i.e. her later years.)

They sure sound good to me. Nothing spectacular but certainly good for how old they are. Even when she sings loudly, the sound is very clear. I notice a bit of movement in her voice, e.g. it seems to pan back and forth a bit during some tracks. I've also noticed a 'blip' here and there that I can only assume are from the original tapes. Note: I'm far from an audiophile, so you may want to find some more reviews before you buy.

I would probably pick up some more of these if I could find them for less money. Maybe I'll grab Noel around Xmas time.

7. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

:righton:

8. guy incognito

With Christmas coming up the local Borders has a discount on holiday music, so I went ahead and bought the remastered Noël. Bad news.

From the liner notes:
    Engineered for release by Jeff Zaraya from the original analog tapes, converted to 20-bit digital audio using the DCS 904. Sonic Solutions software was used to process the digital audio. The bass that was rolled off the original vinyl release has been restored. The final CD was turbo bit mapped.

:realmad:

9. Steve Hoffman

Bummer. The tape hiss on this stuff is barely noticeable in the first place.

10. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Anybody here remember the National Lampoon Baez parody? I won't mention the title out of political correctness; it was on the Radio Dinner album. Absolutely priceless.

Except for the Diamonds And Rust album, I do not own any Baez, and this is something that should be rectified. A great talent, IMO.

11. Angel

Angel New Member

I remember it. Let's pass over that, shall we? It was quite funny but totally politically incorrect, especially taken out of context.

I've heard some wonderful Joan Baez LP's on the original Vanguard label. I have a greatest hits (2 LP set with picture book) from the 1970's that sounds really wonderful.

12. guy incognito

What's really odd is that the bonus tracks on the new disc have noticeable hiss on them. It's like they were left alone while the album proper was processed, which is utterly ridiculous if that is indeed what happened.

13. Steve Hoffman

Huh. Weird. Maybe they were Sonic-Un-Solutioned. :laugh:

14. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

The MFSL "Diamonds And Rust" is a real keeper.

15. stereo71

stereo71 Senior Member

Can't put my hands on it right now, but I did get
    the newer Vanguard issue of Baez at Newport. It
    does sound very good, considering the concert setting,
    which had some mic placement problems. There are a
    couple of tracks where she really pegs the PA system
    and you can hear the ambient echo decay--I love this
    kind of stuff, really puts you there! Included are
    two (I think) duets with Dylan, whom she was helping
    promote at the time. If you like early Baez you'll
    like this one.

--Roger

16. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Re: Re: Joan Baez reissues on Vanguard

That's the new Vanguard way. The 2000 Ian and Sylvia comp. has the same schpiel.
    BEFORE I joined the forum, I thought this CD sounded way better than the old one I used to play. There IS much more bass, less hiss etc. I could not undertstand why I didn't enjoy listening to it though.........
    NOW I'm a new (and sadder) man ;)

17. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Not really sadder - I have since returned many of my old dusty CD's into circulation. :) Every cloud has a silver lining.

Shame about Vanguard though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.