Joe Walsh songs during Eagles concerts?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DaveTheRave, Oct 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveTheRave

DaveTheRave Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recently saw the History of the Eagles tour and really enjoyed it. But was wondering why they always play some solo Joe Walsh stuff. Do they have some kind of agreement that each concert briefly becomes the Joe Walsh show?

Also noticed that on the JW songs Don Henly doesn't play drums. Instead someone else did while Henley played percussion. What's up with that?

2. AKA

AKA Senior Member

3. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I have seen the Eagles almost every tour since 1994. Joe Walsh solo songs are always part of the setlist. Previous tours had Don Henley and Glenn Frey solo songs, too. I assumed the idea was to cover the 14 year break when they were not a band.

4. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

Even in the 70s they would feature some Walsh songs, before the others even had solo careers. My guess is that since Walsh was an established solo act prior to joining Eagles it was an early concession made, and have stuck to as fans have come to expect it.

5. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Most of the Joe Walsh songs are strategically placed to provide a kick to the setlist towards the encore so I'm sure the rest of the band welcome those songs to energize the audience.

Sean, Folknik, tmtomh and 2 others like this.
  6. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

My first rock concert was the Eagles in 1977. They played Rocky Mountain Way, Turn to Stone, and one other (might have been Meadows). This was before But Seriously Folks came out, which had the big hit Life's Been Good. Joe's songs are great additions to the set list, because they really rock.

I saw the Eagles again on the 1994 tour, and a couple times in 2005/6. Thank goodness for the Joe Walsh songs on those tours. I loved those shows, but everything seemed sooooo rehearsed and locked down, even guitar solos...except for when Joe got to sing a song and cut loose on his guitar. Without that spark from Joe, I'm afraid the Eagles reputation for being Baby Boomer comfort music would hard to contest.

Sean, YouKnowEyeKnow, slipkid and 2 others like this.
  7. HAmmer

HAmmer Forum Resident

I wish their whole setlist was Joe Walsh Songs :p

Sean, Cassiel, jonathan and 33 others like this.
  8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I love including Joe's songs, he's what brought me to them in the first place, before 1976, I dismissed them easily.

J_D__ and Spacement Monitor like this.
  9. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

i want another james gang tour

Sean, rck60s, J_D__ and 8 others like this.
  10. DaveTheRave

DaveTheRave Forum Resident Thread Starter

Walsh definitely was the fan favorite when I saw them. The crowd, including me, went nuts when he walked onto the stage to join the band for Witchy Woman. And In the City was one of the highlights of the night, too.

J_D__ and davers like this.
  11. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

they are great and fit nicely with the other eagles songs and is like fresh air.

agentalbert likes this.
  12. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

I think the use of "In The City" by the Eagles in 1979's The Long Run blurred the lines, as Joe originally recorded and released that the year before in a solo version. Then, in 1980, the band further blurred the lines between Eagles/solo Joe by including a version of "Life's Been Good" on their Eagles Live album.

13. Joe Walsh's solo stuff (such as "Rocky Mountain Way") somehow seems to sound more like the Eagles, i.e. their rockier songs ("Life In The Fast Lane", "In The City") than the Don Henley and Glenn Frey solo material that the band plays. I know "Dirty Laundry", "Boys Of Summer" and "You Belong To The City" were big hits, but songs like Henley's "Not Enough Love In The World", "The Last Worthless Evening", "The Heart Of The Matter" (yes, I know they played this one on the "Hell Freezes Over" tour), Frey's "Part Of Me, Part Of You", and "The One You Love" and "Let's Go Home" (both of which sound sorta "I Can't Tell You Why"-esque) are songs that are much more reminiscent of the Eagles' sound.

ralph7109 and music4life like this.
  14. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I first saw the Eagles in 1978 at Riverfront Coliseum, the first concert at the stadium. IMO, the band wouldn't be anything more than what they had been before Joe joined. Joe had an established solo career and he brought his own songs as well as his songwriting skills to the band, which made them twice the band they were prior to Joe joining IMO. Joe's songs were what made the band what they are today. They had their hits before Joe, but Joe's hits doubled the bands hits.

15. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

Slightly off topic...

I was stationed on a submarine in Pearl Harbor in the mid-1990s. I got notice one Saturday afternoon that we were going to have two visitors to the ship ... turned out to be Joe Walsh and Don Felder, since the Hell Freezes Over tour was stopping in at Aloha Stadium right down the road. Joe looked a bit rough, but it was fun to meet him.

Been partial to Joe songs ever since....

GoodKitty, slipkid, Fullbug and 3 others like this.
  16. They have been to some degree since he joined the band.

17. I always liked the Eagles version better. As Glenn Frey once said, it was always an Eagles song Joe just didn't know it at the time.

agentalbert likes this.
  18. davers

davers Forum Resident

Joe definitely brings a spark to the show. That said, Funk 49, Rocky Mountain Way and Life's Been Good might be overstaying their welcome...when I saw them this summer I found myself wishing they'd change it up a bit.

In The City still rocked and sounded great!

jasn likes this.
  19. brgman

brgman Forum Resident

:shtiphat:

20. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i think this history of the eagles tour is the first that solo songs by other members aren't being played since they reformed

21. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I would't go see the remnants of the Eagles with just the drummer and rhythm guitarst of the original band, but I would go to see either of the first two configurations of The James Gang.

22. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Ya! What the heck, missed that tour, and they didn't even film it!?!?! :shake:

23. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yeah lets downplay henley and frey and act like the leadon and meisner are why the eagles are household names

24. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

And THAT is why an older coworker told me they drove like 14 hours to Texas to see the first show they could with him. He said "Man, we couldn't believe it when we heard The Bomber, Joe Walsh, had joined The Eagles! Totally worth the drive!"

rburly likes this.
  25. Markarrow

Markarrow Forum Resident

The Joe Walsh album So What is, for me, the hidden Eagles album. Henley is on Falling Down, Souther and Henley are on Falling Down and Turn to Stone has Meisner, Henley and Frey, as does Help Me Make it Through the Night. Bill Szymczyk, who has been with The Eagles since On the Border, did some of the engineering on the album and also produced, mixed and engineered Song For Emma, one of Walsh's many hidden classics.

To me Walsh was always supposed to be in The Eagles.

Slightly off track... the hidden Walsh classic is Michael Stanley's Friends and Legends which is filled with members of Barnstorm (Walsh included) and Manassas as well as also being produced by Scymczyk.
    And the hidden Eagles classic is Randy Newman's Rider in the Rain... A song The Eagles should have placed somewhere in their set, but that is another thread.
    And my apologies to Mr. Frey, I know full well that it is Eagles, not The Eagles. But I have a problem with grammar... and I love an ellipse or two as well...

Mike Visco likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.